• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid - War Memorial Speech

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Good speechifying from Dravid. He is a true professional and a great sportsman

Kinda bummed out by the vibe of the thread, will Indians100 years from now still be visiting the sins of the ancestors on future Brits?

Everyone from WWI is dead, will generation after generation feel a hate that, as the years roll on, they have no physical connection to?

makes me doubtful that multiculturalism will ever work

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Its also ironic that this speech, which mentions how Australians and Indians were brother in arms results in such a divisive thread. (of which i'm guilty of contibuting). Sorry 'bout that

Here's to a great series - at least its more than two tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kinda bummed out by the vibe of the thread, will Indians100 years from now still be visiting the sins of the ancestors on future Brits?

Everyone from WWI is dead, will generation after generation feel a hate that, as the years roll on, they have no physical connection to?

makes me doubtful that multiculturalism will ever work
Mate it was one a couple of people who took issue with that, and I think they've misinterpreted the aim of what he was saying anyway.

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Mate it was one a couple of people who took issue with that, and I think they've misinterpreted the aim of what he was saying anyway.
Yes your right afterall he was at the War Memorial so it was an appropriate place to pay homage to the sacrifices of ordinary Australians & Indians in a shared conflict. Lets hope we all just leave it at that and get on with the cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The highest honour AB could bestow upon an Aussie cricketer is a sip of champers from his old box, tbh.

Personally, think Dravid's missing the point regarding why people aren't going to Tests and ODI's. The part about fitting around schedules has some merit but, tbh, live games in general are just less fun to go these days. No smoking/drinking too much/outside food/swearing/Mexican waves/beer snakes/beach balls/etc. just sit there quietly for 6+ hours, buy the rubbish/triple-priced food on offer and appreciate the magnificence of the green, green grass and pay more than you would for a footy match for it? Serious? Only diehards would ever subject themselves to that sort of crap.

T20 is fun to go to, it's an occasion and watching it on TV, you're missing a lot what makes it what it is. ODI's and Tests are not as much fun any more and you get a lot more out of watching on TV than going to the ground. Fix that and people will come back.
I would venture to guess that he is speaking more about the crowds not turning up in India. We don't have that many restrictions and drinking has never been allowed in our grounds anyways...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just read the whole thread.

HB, a war memorial and honouring those that died in the war isn't promoting the war. He wasn't praising the war at all. And by mentioning the fact Australians and Indians fought in a war on the same side, he is merely saying that we have a linked history.

On another topic, one of Dravid's many great quotes was this:

A few people on CW would do well to remember this.
Well, I think I explained my stance in some of my subsequent posts and I am guessing you have not really read them fully. :)

miscer

U19 Cricketer
hahha anyone catch the "kings of batting, the middle order." wonder who he's referring to. lol dravid ure a cheeky ****.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Wow. I am listening to a talk by Anil Kumble as I type this. Will get back with some interesting bits once done.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Which channel? I'll try to find a stream online.
Not on TV but in a conference hall. It wouldn't be a wow thing if it was on TV :) anyway he's a classy guy too and like Dravid stressed the importance of test cricket. Said that he remembers every test in his times, some ODIs but nothing about T20. Couple of interesting things during the question answer session:

He was asked about importance of spin today. Said that it's sad that if ball swings and seams from first ball it's considered a good wicket, but if it turns from start it's called a dust bowl and not considered a good wicket

About the 10 wickets he took, he mentioned jokingly that he and Srinath communicated via telepathy. It was understood that he will not take wicket while Kumble was one wicket away from the rare achievement.

Overall it was a real pleasure. What a top bloke. He was also a topper at his engineering college it seems. Total respect to the man, his sincerity and integrit