• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Criminal offence or misdemeanour - where is the line?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean equating as in action, not as in the level of seriousness obviously.

They're both government policies you want to result in the cricket team being banned.
The trouble with it is, the failure to regulate in this instance results in the integrity of sport itself being affected. It's a serious deal imo.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I agree it should be regulated, but it was controversial enough boycotting South Africa (and Zimbabwe, sort of) based on politics/government policies of a much more serious issue.

To ban a cricket team based on a government's policy which doesn't involve human rights is even crazier. You're basically saying "legalise gambling or your cricket team is banned".

A little easier to say "allow equal rights to all citizens regardless of colour, or your cricket team is banned"

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why isn't gambling legal in India? Are there severe social stigmas attached to gambling? For one, the government is doing themselves out of a massive tax revenue stream and ensures an inability to monitor problem gambling if it's illegal. Legal, but regulated and firmly policed gambling is surely the way to go?

Burgey

Yeah I agree it should be regulated, but it was controversial enough boycotting South Africa (and Zimbabwe, sort of) based on politics/government policies of a much more serious issue.

To ban a cricket team based on a government's policy which doesn't involve human rights is even crazier. You're basically saying "legalise gambling or your cricket team is banned".

A little easier to say "allow equal rights to all citizens regardless of colour, or your cricket team is banned"
It is easier, for sure. Not saying its easy, I just want them banned for the LOLs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You are no different from the Indian trolls itbt.

Well you're 60, not 16, but other than that. :ph34r:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It is a complete farce that Asif and Aamir are sitting in jail cells whilst Malik, Azhar, Gibbs, Warne, Waugh, every drugs cheat in history etc walks free and, in some cases, earn a fortune "promoting" their sport

****ing Warne got done for taking money off a bookie, taking drugs and generally being a disgrace but could still afford to knock back a full-time commentary job because he was earning 9 million a year

If it wasnt so sad, it would be laughable
I'm a bit confused over the jail sentences..is it because betting is legal in the UK, and these guys went outside the system to try their hand, and while doing so implicitly (or explicitly) duping ppl betting lawfully? How do they even take bets on sporting events or, more specifically, cricket in the UK?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I'm a bit confused over the jail sentences..is it because betting is legal in the UK, and these guys went outside the system to try their hand, and while doing so implicitly (or explicitly) duping ppl betting lawfully? How do they even take bets on sporting events or, more specifically, cricket in the UK?
Yeah that's right. If you have inside information (such as Amir bowling a no-ball) then you can just spot bet money with a bookie on the no-ball. Tbf spot bets need to be stopped.

In the trio's case, no one defrauded anyone. No money was placed on a spot bet. They went to jail based on defrauding people/bookies potentially in the future.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It was a well written article but it made the same mistake of downplaying /Waugh offense. It is the same story we have been told over and over again and I am still waiting for some writer from England/Australia to acknowledge the fact that what Warne/Waugh did was not a misdemeanor but an offense. Not only they accepted money and caught but were among the very small group of players who were repeatedly approached by bookies .

It is not a coincidence, it confirms their deep involvement with the bookies during 90s.

Burgey

It was a well written article but it made the same mistake of downplaying /Waugh offense. It is the same story we have been told over and over again and I am still waiting for some writer from England/Australia to acknowledge the fact that what Warne/Waugh did was not a misdemeanor but an offense. Not only they accepted money and caught but were among the very small group of players who were repeatedly approached by bookies .

It is not a coincidence, it confirms their deep involvement with the bookies during 90s.
You do know Warne reported Salim Malik, don't you?

Warne and Waugh's offense is/ was a bannable offence. The worst part of the whole thing was the ACB not dealing with it transparently.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You do know Warne reported Salim Malik, don't you?

Warne and Waugh's offense is/ was a bannable offence. The worst part of the whole thing was the ACB not dealing with it transparently.
Warne/Waugh and ACB have no credibility on the subject. I will not trust a single thing they have to say on this matter.

The fact of the matter is Australia lost the test match in question. The same test match where Malik offered Waugh/Warne $200,000 to lose, it must be a coincidence that Australia lost the test match by 1 wicket.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Warne/Waugh and ACB have no credibility on the subject. I will not trust a single thing they have to say on this matter.

The fact of the matter is Australia lost the test match in question. The same test match where Malik offered Waugh/Warne $200,000 to lose, it must be a coincidence that Australia lost the test match by 1 wicket.
well that would make sense if Aus lost while chasing and either were at the crease when the last wicket went down. Aus were defending...though now that I check, Warne was bowling when the winning runs were struck..but that's still highly unlikely he could've tailored the outcome to such a fine extent. The whole team would've had to be complicit.