• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah, but mate, Sharma bowls exactly the same way all the time, It's not an isolated case of him bowling well and being 'unlucky'. Every-time he comes up against a decent batting line-up, he does this, at least for the last two years.
Be interested to know, what would you say it is about his bowling that gives off the impression he is 'unlucky' yet stops him taking enough wickets?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The one common trend with most 'unlucky' bowlers is their length, as in, they bowl too short. They're seen to be unlucky because they beat the outside edge alot, but the reason why they don't get edges is because by the time it reaches the batsman the ball has done too much. Pitch it up closer to the bat and it gives the ball less time to move.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The one common trend with most 'unlucky' bowlers is their length, as in, they bowl too short. They're seen to be unlucky because they beat the outside edge alot, but the reason why they don't get edges is because by the time it reaches the batsman the ball has done too much. Pitch it up closer to the bat and it gives the ball less time to move.
Good post. You're not just a pretty face/monkey well you know what I mean.

benchmark00

From what I saw of Sharma though, it didn't look like he was bowling particularly short?
He bowled reasonably short at times, beat Ponting a few times outside off that passed through rib height I suppose.

I thought Sharma bowled alright tbf. I was expecting much less from him.

Last edited:

Spikey

Pragyan Ojha is a slow left-arm orthodox and therefore is **** ftr, so I really don't get why we're talking about the bowling attack.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I thought he was the pick of the Indian bowlers first innings, but admittedly I don't follow his bowling much, and I find it interesting that people are saying he frequently bowls like that without getting wickets.

Midwinter

State Captain
Hussey - last 9 innings, 153 runs @ 17

Ponting - last 9 innings 275 runs @ 30.5

These include this test.

Let's not confuse the players they were with the players they are now.

They saved us here and deserve the next test, but those figures are not pleasant reading.

Sharma bowled well but probably needs a bit of help from the pitch or conditions. Khan got wickets but didn't get the top order.
Yadav got people out, what more can you do ?

morgieb

Player ratings (feel free to debate and do your own, btw):

Australia:

Cowan - 7
Warner - 6
Marsh - 3
Ponting - 9
Clarke - 4
Hussey - 8
Haddin - 4
Siddle - 8
Lyon - 3
Pattinson - 9
Hilfenhaus - 9

Gambhir - 2
Sehwag - 5.5
Dravid - 7
Tendulkar - 8
Laxman - 2
Kohli - 3
Dhoni - 3
Ashwin - 7
Khan - 8.5
Sharma - 4
Yadav - 8

Flem274*

123/5
Tim Southee to read this.

Burgey

Lyon's rating is too low IMO. Reckon he bowled ok. As Spikey said, Gambhir gets 0, Laxman 1 (took some catches) and Kohloli 0.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Player ratings (feel free to debate and do your own, btw):

Australia:

Cowan - 7
Warner - 6
Marsh - 3
Ponting - 9
Clarke - 4
Hussey - 8
Haddin - 4
Siddle - 8
Lyon - 3
Pattinson - 9
Hilfenhaus - 9

Gambhir - 2
Sehwag - 5.5
Dravid - 7
Tendulkar - 8
Laxman - 2
Kohli - 3
Dhoni - 3
Ashwin - 7
Khan - 8.5
Sharma - 4
Yadav - 8
Australia:

Cowan - 6 (Crucial knock in the first innings)
Warner - 4 (Good in the field and looked the most at ease in the first innings)
Marsh - 0 (No contribution)
Ponting - 8 (Both 50's worth more than an individual 100)
Clarke - 5 (Captain of the match)
Hussey - 7 (Vital second innings knock that kept India out of the game)
Haddin - 3 (Important partnership in the first innings however threw his wicket away and dropped a catch)
Siddle - 8 (Big heart, ran in hard all game)
Lyon - 4 (No spin, however didn't bowl that poorly)
Pattinson - 9 (Near every spell had impressive moments)
Hilfenhaus - 8 (Great comeback)

India

Gambhir - 0 (Not the first Indian opener to look like garbage in Australian conditions)
Sehwag - 5 (Made runs in the first innings in what was the worst 50 I have ever witnessed live)
Dravid - 6 (Dismissed in similar fashion three times is worrying)
Tendulkar - 8 (Behind only Ponting in looking at ease on the MCG wicket)
Laxman - 0 (Looking forward to the SCG)
Kohli - 1 (Showed hustle in the field)
Dhoni - 3 (Poor captaincy, poor batting in both knocks, however solid with the gloves)
Ashwin - 7 (Not a bad start, he will play on more favourable surfaces as the series progresses)
Khan - 9 (Looked underdone in his first spell on Day 1, however constantly asked questions)
Sharma - 6 (Tight bowling but same old Sharma)
Yadav - 8.5 (Similar bowling may result in 1/170 on a different day, however he took the wickets needed. Big nostrils gains him an extra 0.5)

Ruckus

International Captain
Tendulkar - 8 (Behind only Ponting in looking at ease on the MCG wicket)
I can't say I agree with that. Think he easily looked the most comfortable out of anyone. His first knock was absolutely chanceless, which can't be said for Ponting's knocks. Reckon he didn't get as many as he could of as well in the second innings because of the hopeless match situation...looked like he just lost concentration after Dhoni decided to be an idiot.

TumTum

Banned
Woohoo. Wasnt able to watch because i was in the air, pleasently surprised we won so easily.

Agree with the person that said Yadav is like Finn of last year.

Great work from Pattinson, his control has been great. Reckon he's found his best role, just probe around in the area of uncertainty. When Cummins comes back it would be a great partnership.

Also no doubt Ponting would rather face Ashwin than Harbhajan. He's going to have a good series.