• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spark

Global Moderator
I was actually initally really against the fast-tracking of Pattinson and Cummins (in particular), but it turns out it was a very good move. Both of them are clearly very special talents though, and I think it's somewhat fortuitous that the decisions to play them have payed off. Throwing extremely inexperienced players straight into the mix often won't work, and there have been many recent cases of that.
I think it was Top_Cat who said it works differently to bowlers - if you see 'em and you think they're good, get them in quick was the philosophy.

Paid off big-time with these two, although I don't think Cummins will/should play a Test for a while yet.

Redbacks

International Captain
I was actually initally really against the fast-tracking of Pattinson and Cummins (in particular).
plenty of egg on our faces going back to Cummins missing FC cricket to play T20s in RSA. He just continued to preform from there.

Ruckus

International Captain
He has four fifties in his last six innings - that's good enough for me.
Good enough for him to stay on, yes, not good enough for me to be confident he is back to a very high level of performance. He also made 4 or 5 fifties in a similar amount of innings around the tour of India period, followed by 10+ scores of less than 50.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was actually initally really against the fast-tracking of Pattinson and Cummins (in particular), but it turns out it was a very good move. Both of them are clearly very special talents though, and I think it's somewhat fortuitous that the decisions to play them have payed off. Throwing extremely inexperienced players straight into the mix often won't work, and there have been many recent cases of that.
You have to try it to find out though...if we make the mistake of sticking with the guys we have again because we don't want to rush anyone in then it'll be a worse error of judgement in my opinion. Besides, the selectors should have a fair inkling of who has the make-up to do well and who hasn't. That's their job.

Ruckus

International Captain
You have to try it to find out though...if we make the mistake of sticking with the guys we have again because we don't want to rush anyone in then it'll be a worse error of judgement in my opinion. Besides, the selectors should have a fair inkling of who has the make-up to do well and who hasn't. That's their job.
Yeah, true. My preference would be for players to have at least one full season of shield cricket under their belt though. There is not going to be much harm done in delaying a decision like that (unless your team is in dire need of new talent). Like, seriously, yeah it payed off to play Cummins, but at the same time I'm sure someone like Copeland would have peformed very well on those pitches too. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if Cummins had to play more shield cricket before getting a go...could have had a lot of benefits too.

Ruckus

International Captain
Thinking in terms of de Lange being selected over all the other types that have been hovering around the SA team for the past 24 months.
oh right, yeh I haven't seen much of him, but it looks like his selection and success story etc. is very similar to Cummins. He had at least played a fair few more FC matches than cummins though.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It should be Sharma.

Would be madness to drop Yadav.
Hmmmm, Id have thought he was the most vulnerable. Took some wickets this game but many of them were pretty lucky and he bowled a hell of a lot of crap in between.

Would back Sharma to comfortably outbowl him on every pitch left in the series too. Yadav on Adelaide or Sydney = carnage.

benchmark00

Hmmmm, Id have thought he was the most vulnerable. Took some wickets this game but many of them were pretty lucky and he bowled a hell of a lot of crap in between.

Would back Sharma to comfortably outbowl him on every pitch left in the series too. Yadav on Adelaide or Sydney = carnage.
Yeah agree. And he still looks most likely to get Ponting out most of the time also, and with Ponting looking like he has found a bit, you'd tend to think they'd want to include the bowler who has results against him.

Moot point though. They'll keep the same bowling attack imo.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah I thought we made him look far better than he actually is

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think Yadav>Ishant - primarily because he gets more movement. Ishant is as close as you get in international cricket to being gun barrel straight.

Ishant's accuracy is far superior to Yadav's however. Although Yadav improved during the match.

Finally Yadav has a nicer action.

Spikey

Your mate Usman??
hahahahahaha

I think it was Top_Cat who said it works differently to bowlers - if you see 'em and you think they're good, get them in quick was the philosophy.

Paid off big-time with these two, although I don't think Cummins will/should play a Test for a while yet.
skidmark too

I would have thought they'd keep the bowlers the same. Yadav was a bit lucky yeah but hey better a lucky bowler than an unlucky one.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Yeah, but mate, Sharma bowls exactly the same way all the time, It's not an isolated case of him bowling well and being 'unlucky'. Every-time he comes up against a decent batting line-up, he does this, at least for the last two years.

Yadav did bowl a lot of crap in between and hence is not ready to be a stock bowler or the leader of the attack but he's one hell of an impact bowler IMO, He took the first three wickets each time too.

He's exactly the sort of bloke who can come in and bowl a fast impact spell of 5-0-25-3 on a pancake, IMO.

Want an avatar bet on who'll take more wickets in the remaining three tests? :p

benchmark00

Yeah, but mate, Sharma bowls exactly the same way all the time, It's not an isolated case of him bowling well and being 'unlucky'. Every-time he comes up against a decent batting line-up, he does this, at least for the last two years.

Yadav did bowl a lot of crap in between and hence is not ready to be a stock bowler or the leader of the attack but he's one hell of an impact bowler IMO, He took the first three wickets each time too.

He's exactly the sort of bloke who can come in and bowl a fast impact spell of 5-0-25-3 on a pancake, IMO.

Want an avatar bet on who'll take more wickets in the remaining three tests? :p
Sydney will have a bit in it though. Has done all season. And with only two front line seamers you need a bit of control from them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sydney will have a bit in it though. Has done all season. And with only two front line seamers you need a bit of control from them.
Yeah, especially since Zaheer could break down. I think Yadav's likely to be more of a factor in Sydney than Ojha though so I'd just not play two spinners.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think someone like Ferguson and George Bailey would have been perfect like for like replacements for Hussey and Ponting respectively had they put up some consistent scores, but the thing that I find funny is that we are willing to hand test caps to bowlers with next to no experience or form but we still expect all our prospective batters to set the world on fire while playing on damp green pitches at the domestic level.
Yeah see this is why I've been so against dropping Hussey or Ponting. Their performances have been unacceptable over a long period now but there's just no way, IMO, that they're less likely to score runs right now than ****ing Bailey or Ferguson. If people wanted to drop them for Rogers and Katich and something while those two were in decent nick then yeah okay; but the younger batsmen we have at our disposal just aren't very good at the moment. It's one thing to acknowledge that Ponting hasn't been good for the last 2-3 years but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll continue to be poor for the next year; and there's just no way George Bailey is a better batsman. Gotta come up with something better.