• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Golden Era for Fast Bowling?

TumTum

Banned
Jimmeh rarely gets it swinging and lacks pace? Wut? Just wut?
I mean, Jimmeh isn't express but hell if operating at 85mph+ means you're lacking pace then not a great showing for pretty much the entirety of global bowling stocks.
True but I was setting the bar high on purpose, if we're trying to find the most complete bowler.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
The true test for these young bowlers will be bowling in a 4 and 5 Test series with back to back Tests.
Only Australian, English, Indian, and South African can take this 'true test'. And only once or twice every couple of years at that,

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bounce back in fast bowling (I wouldn't say it's a golden age mind you) probably has a fair bit to do with La Nina*.

* It's a night club on the Gold Coast.

Last edited:

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Finn, Cummins, Patinson are all people who you can except to be bowling quickly in a few years. None of them have reached their peaks yet, but can already tickle the speed gun.
That means ''The Golden Era'' mentioned in the thread title, has not arrived yet

FBU

International Debutant
Only Australian, English, Indian, and South African can take this 'true test'. And only once or twice every couple of years at that,
4 or 5 Test series since 2000
Eng 19
Aus 12
WI 12
India 8
SA 7
Pak 2

Surprising to see that WI have played more of these longer series than SA.
In the first 5 years teams played 17 longer series compared to the next 5 years of 11. :( The four teams you mention should always play a 5 series Test.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Nah, every country should play 4-5 match series, and just play each other less regularly.

/notgoingtohappen

flibbertyjibber

An NZ v Bangladesh 5 match series would really pull in the crowds. :laugh:

Would love a 4 test tour to NZ for England though, my dad been twice to NZ tours, says it best country of all to go to.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Steyn and Anderson are not complete bowlers. Steyn sucks against left-handers and Anderson rarely gets the ball swinging and lacks pace. They both lack bounce.

Imagine if there was such a bowler who could move it both ways, was tall and quick. That would be fun to watch.
Anderson doesn't lack pace, he bowls at the optimum pace to generate swing. Im not even going to touch the first part of the bolded sentence because it's just so absurdly wrong. I can only assume you're trying to hog all the space in my signature with such stupidity.

Burgey

If a pitch has consistent pace and carry, without a lot of sideways movement, it's flat isn't it? So whether the consistent bounce is knee height or waist height, if it's consistent and not a lot of sideways movement, then it is pretty good to bat on you'd think.

I may be over simplifying it though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Are flat pitches in England or Australia really the same as flat pitches in India?
They're not the same, but Burgey is right, they're flat.

Flat with low bounce, flat with highish bounce, its still flat. Just of a different kind.

Different players do well on it though. Low bounce can make it difficult to get a player out but sometimes also difficult to score. High bounce can be easy to get runs but also easier to get a player out comparatively to low bounce.

Basically there's no hard and fast rule, despite CW wishing there was one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure about that, due to his relative lack of pace. Obviously Jimmy is no slouch, and he wouldn't be able to swing it like he does if he bowled 90+, but there have been times when Steyn has found it tough to swing the ball, only to bowl a fair bit quicker than he usually does in order to provide a different threat. It's minor but it's a weapon Anderson lacks.
Steyn is definitely a much better bowler than Anderson but I agree with Furball that Jimmy is the most "complete".