• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Golden Era for Fast Bowling?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
'Light years' ahead of Jimmy? Are you mad? I would put Steyn slightly ahead yes, but if you were picking a dream current bowling attack, they would instantly be on the list. You would have to think hard about the third.

Hes also shown he can do it on not so great bowling conditions. Last years Ashes springs to mind, you're telling me that Adelaide, MCG and SCG were bowling paradises? Our batsman didn't think so. I wouldn't call Lords, Edgbaston and the Oval notably great for bowling either.

Their respective records of course favour Steyn, hes been great for longer. Can't look past Jummys record in the last 2 years though.
You do realize that statistically, the current Oz batting lineup is the worst we have fielded in over 100 years so any success against them has to be taken with a huuuuuuuuuge grain of salt

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
IMO the standard of fast bowling has gone down during the last seven years.Now there are no bowlers who can consistently bowl at 150+.Brett lee used to do that easily.So did Shoaib.For England Simon Jones and Harminson clocked 150 occasionally.Steyn and Morkel were faster a couple of years ago.Now they are struggling to clock 150 kmph.The present crop of English and Australian fast bowlers are definitely inferior to the likes Simon Jones,Harminson, Flintoff Brette Lee,Gillesppie and of course Mcgrath.
To be fair, both Steyn and Morkel don't bowl as quick as they can. Morkel has sacrificed pace in order to bowl a slightly fuller, and more effective, length. The Morkel of 2008 was clocking 90mph+ regularly but was erratic as a result. The Morkel of today is definitely better than the slightly quicker Morkel of 2 or 3 years ago.

Finn, Cummins, Patinson are all people who you can except to be bowling quickly in a few years. None of them have reached their peaks yet, but can already tickle the speed gun.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
You do realize that statistically, the current Oz batting lineup is the worst we have fielded in over 100 years so any success against them has to be taken with a huuuuuuuuuge grain of salt
Maybe they've done statistically badly because Jimmy ripped through them in the Ashes. While I do agree with your main point, your argument is slightly contradictory there.

hazsa19

International Regular
Ah right I see now. And success against India is just because of the pitches? Gotcha

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Steyn is daylights ahead of any other current bowler. He is about to become (if not already) an ATG. He has a strike rate better than Waqar, and that is saying something.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Oz and England have the best stocks right now. Onions, Finn, Starc, Hazelwood, Pattinson, and Cummins all look mighty promising

Woodster

International Captain
Sorry but Jimmy has literally had about 2 top quality years in test cricket and the vast majority of his great performances have been in perfect bowling conditions

He is light years behind Steyn (as their respective records indicate, I might add)
Even when pitches and conditions are not conducive to Jimmy's natural style, he has found a way to be effective. His two top quality years have been just that, consistently top quality and not always in perfect bowling conditions at all.

He isn't light years behind Steyn, he may be behind as he hasn't had the success on the sub-continent that Steyn has but he will certainly return there a much improved bowler than last time out.

Jacknife

International Captain
You'd hope he would be ahead of the Aussie bowlers as most of them are still in diapers

Anyway, Jimmeh was completely rank during the '09 Ashes and averaged 35 in SA shortly thereafter

He is a massive beneficiary of juiced up tracks and declining batting standards and not in the same class as Steyn
Juiced up tracks??? really, which are these juiced up tracks you speak of because I can't think of too many in England, if it's overcast the ball swings but that's as far as it goes. I mean you'd have to be about as dishonest as can be to say he's benefited from juiced up tracks.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Juiced up tracks??? really, which are these juiced up tracks you speak of because I can't think of too many in England, if it's overcast the ball swings but that's as far as it goes. I mean you'd have to be about as dishonest as can be to say he's benefited from juiced up tracks.
Exactly. Jimmy's best performances against India were on the final day at Lords, always a flat track, and the 4th day at Birmingham, where England had racked up 700.

TumTum

Banned
Steyn and Anderson are not complete bowlers. Steyn sucks against left-handers and Anderson rarely gets the ball swinging and lacks pace. They both lack bounce.

Imagine if there was such a bowler who could move it both ways, was tall and quick. That would be fun to watch.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steyn and Anderson are not complete bowlers. Steyn sucks against left-handers and Anderson rarely gets the ball swinging and lacks pace. They both lack bounce.

Imagine if there was such a bowler who could move it both ways, was tall and quick. That would be fun to watch.
Jimmeh rarely gets it swinging and lacks pace? Wut? Just wut?
I mean, Jimmeh isn't express but hell if operating at 85mph+ means you're lacking pace then not a great showing for pretty much the entirety of global bowling stocks.

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
The true test for these young bowlers will be bowling in a 4 and 5 Test series with back to back Tests. I doubt many of them would have the stamina of Mitchell Johnson who bowled 585 Test overs in 2008 and 502.5 in 2009. Whatever anyone says about his bowling he has been injury free and bowled fast for longer than any other bowlers.

Since his debut
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think it's a coincidence that he's bowled by far the most but has had the least injuries of the Aussie quicks tbh.