• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Golden Era for Fast Bowling?

Woodster

International Captain
I would say Jimmy is in the top bracket with Steyn, a level above the rest. Zaheer might be there if he were fit.

Jimmy actually bowls as many inswingers as he does outswingers. The inswinger is almost his stock delivery now, certainly to lefties. He pushes it across, pushes it across, and the one hitting the stumps is the surprise delivery.

Imagine Steyn and Anderson as a new ball pairing!
Yes he bowls his inswinger much more frequently to left-handers (outswinger to them), that is the option he takes rather than consistenly swinging it into the lefties and then pushing the odd one across them. To the right-handers though his stock ball is definitely swinging it away from them.

hazsa19

International Regular
Yes he bowls his inswinger much more frequently to left-handers (outswinger to them), that is the option he takes rather than consistenly swinging it into the lefties and then pushing the odd one across them. To the right-handers though his stock ball is definitely swinging it away from them.
Yes I won't argue with that. Tremendously skilled bowler, and who would have thought it 5 years ago when he was getting battered down under?

These upstarts in Australia have everything going for them. They've got the raw skills and time is on their side.

smash84

The Tiger King
the aussie quicks look good......their batting seems to be having brain farts now when previously they seemed imperious. I guess you can have all the confidence in the world when you know you have McWarne to bowl from your team

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I won't argue with that. Tremendously skilled bowler, and who would have thought it 5 years ago when he was getting battered down under?

These upstarts in Australia have everything going for them. They've got the raw skills and time is on their side.
I agree, he has become a tremendously skilled bowler. The biggest improvement is being effective and working to a gameplan even when conditions are not swing-friendly. We've always known he's capable of running through a side when it's swinging round corners, but it was the lack of a Plan B that held him back, he now does have alternative skills and it has coincided with England becoming a real force in Test cricket.

Australia should be really optimistic about the future of their quicks. We've seen Cummins and Pattinson have immediate impacts in two Test series, and also the form of Peter Siddle against NZ has looked pretty good. But certainly for the short-term they need Ryan Harris fit and firing for the Indian series.

FBU

International Debutant
The under 24s
Hard to believe Sharma has played 41 Tests at his age.

2 Tests - 14 wickets at 14.00 econ 3.22 s/r 26.0 - Pattinson (21)
1 Test - 7 wickets at 16.71 econ 2.65 s/r 37.7 - Cummins (18)
3 Tests - 16 wickets at 19.25 econ 3.04 s/r 37.8 - Bracewell (21)
1 Test - 4 wickets at 20.00 econ 3.20 s/r 37.5 - Boult (22)
2 Tests - 9 wickets at 21.22 econ 3.78 s/r 33.6 - Yadav (24)
12 Tests - 50 wickets at 26.92 econ 3.89 s/r 41.4 - Finn (22)
14 Tests - 51 wickets at 29.09 econ 3.10 s/r 56.2 - Aamer (19)
4 Tests - 13 wickets at 29.46 econ 2.73 s/r 64.6 - JKhan (21)
2 Tests - 7 wickets at 32.00 econ 3.64 s/r 52.7 - Jarvis (22)
14 Tests - 43 wickets at 32.62 econ 3.25 s/r 60.0 - Roach (23)
41 Tests - 128 wickets at 35.82 econ 3.40 s/r 63.1 - Sharma (23)
15 Tests - 40 wickets at 42.80 econ 3.46 s/r 74.0 - Southee (22)
1 Test - 3 wickets at 43.00 econ 4.03 s/r 64.0 - Aaron (22)
3 Tests - 5 wickets at 45.40 econ 4.45 s/r 61.2 - Parnell (21)
2 Tests - 5 wickets at 48.00 econ 3.69 s/r 78.0 - Vitori (21)
2 Tests - 4 wickets at 50.00 econ 3.57 s/r 84.0 - Starc (21)
4 Tests - 9 wickets at 50.66 econ 3.80 s/r 80.0 - Mithun (21)
10 Tests - 18 wickets at 54.66 econ 3.71 s/r 88.2 - Lakmal (24)
6 Tests - 8 wickets at 71.12 econ 3.42 s/r 124.5 - Islam (21)
12 Tests - 17 wickets at 82.23 econ 4.19 s/r 118.9 - RHossain (21)

Howe_zat

Audio File
IMO Jimmeh is the most complete fast bowler in the world just now.
Not sure about that, due to his relative lack of pace. Obviously Jimmy is no slouch, and he wouldn't be able to swing it like he does if he bowled 90+, but there have been times when Steyn has found it tough to swing the ball, only to bowl a fair bit quicker than he usually does in order to provide a different threat. It's minor but it's a weapon Anderson lacks.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not sure about that, due to his relative lack of pace. Obviously Jimmy is no slouch, and he wouldn't be able to swing it like he does if he bowled 90+, but there have been times when Steyn has found it tough to swing the ball, only to bowl a fair bit quicker than he usually does in order to provide a different threat. It's minor but it's a weapon Anderson lacks.
Jimmy certainly used to have the ability to crank it up to 90. Since his renaissance he hasn't yet bowled in conditions where that might need to be an option - the UAE will be interesting to see a) if he needs to do that and b) if he's actually capable of it.

shankar

International Debutant
There is a reason he holds the record for dismissing Tendulkar the most times.

His method for combating big hooping outswingers seems to be bat right in front of his stumps and plant his front foot down and play from there, hoping to frustrate the bowlers into pitching straight in search of the magic ball and into his zone. All well and good until one pitches outside off then comes back in.

So when both Broad and Anderson got the ball to move away and then also getting a few to nip back sharply (2nd innings @ Lord's especially) it's no surprise he was well and truly ****ed.

It's why I say Pattinson really needs the ball that comes back in to have Tendulkar in deep trouble. Siddle has it but he doesn't swing it away. He's too good to miss straight balls.
That second inning at Lord's was the one where he became ultra-defensive and refused to play any shots and he was always going to be out to an incoming delivery. But apart from that the incoming delivery didn't play a big part in his dismissals IMO. He does have a weakness to the incoming delivery when it's full and just outside off. But Anderson didn't get the inswinger in those areas throughout the series. And most of his dismissals of Sachin from the past are from standard outswing bowling.

The difference for me between the SA series and the England series wasn't the incoming delivery, but the fact that in SA Sachin played out Steyn and scored against the rest. Whereas vs England the entire attack kept the pressure on him. If you took out Anderson from the England attack and replaced him with Steyn, IMO he'd have been more succesful against Sachin. What Steyn lacks in terms of an incoming delivery he makes up for with pinpoint control of the hooping outswinger unlike any other bowler I've seen.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think the stocks are quite good. You have to remember that things are stacked against fast bowlers a lot more nowadays. With the introduction of helmets and certain pitches becoming a lot flatter and slower over the years, it definitely isn't easy for the average fast bowler.

But I think the current crop are fairly promising. Anderson. Broad, Bresnen, Tremlett and Finn from England. Steyn, Morkel and Phillander from South Afirca. Pattinson, Cummins and a few others from Australia, while Pakistan continue to produce pretty good fast bowlers.

Obviously many of those bowlers are yet to reach their peak, and may turn out to be no more than average test fast bowlers, but at least the future is promising. :)

ret

International Debutant
some good bowlers on the scene but notenough good batsmen are around too

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
With Steyn already close to all time great status, and a new crop of excellent quick bowlers around, particularly in England, Australia and South Africa (with honourable mentions to the West Indies and Pakistan -- Oh, Aamer and Asif!), one could argue that a new golden age of fast bowling is right around the corner. Hell, even India have a couple who can hit the 90 mph mark more than just once in a flukey blue moon!

What are your thoughts on this? Apart from Steyn, who do you think will be the leading fast bowler for the decade?

Also, what do you think has been the greatest era/decade(s) for fast bowlers so far? The late 70s through the 80s? Or the 90s?

Happy chuntering....

For what it is worth, my money is on Cummins being the next great fast bowler, just beating out Philander, Pattinson and Finn.
IMO the standard of fast bowling has gone down during the last seven years.Now there are no bowlers who can consistently bowl at 150+.Brett lee used to do that easily.So did Shoaib.For England Simon Jones and Harminson clocked 150 occasionally.Steyn and Morkel were faster a couple of years ago.Now they are struggling to clock 150 kmph.The present crop of English and Australian fast bowlers are definitely inferior to the likes Simon Jones,Harminson, Flintoff Brette Lee,Gillesppie and of course Mcgrath.

smash84

The Tiger King
more good batsmen around than good bowlers and also as cabinet mentioned that odds stacked in favor of the batsmen these days so good bowlers more valuable

smash84

The Tiger King
IMO the standard of fast bowling has gone down during the last seven years.Now there are no bowlers who can consistently bowl at 150+.Brett lee used to do that easily.So did Shoaib.For England Simon Jones and Harminson clocked 150 occasionally.Steyn and Morkel were faster a couple of years ago.Now they are struggling to clock 150 kmph.The present crop of English and Australian fast bowlers are definitely inferior to the likes Simon Jones,Harminson, Flintoff Brette Lee,Gillesppie and of course Mcgrath.
dude....speed isn't everything

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some good prospects but at present that is all they are and if half of them become the bowlers people think they can then all of a sudden we will have a ruck of good fast bowlers worldwide, as it is, right now Steyn and Anderson are miles ahead of the rest (Zaheer left out till he proves his fitness) and they need to improve dramatically to get to the level of the top 2.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes Jimmy and Steyn are pretty clear from the chasing pack at the moment, they've countered having to bowl in all kinds of conditions over a long period of time. But the future of fast bowling looks good providing these young players can be managed well and do not get swayed by earning fortunes in a mickey mouse format of cricket.
Sorry but Jimmy has literally had about 2 top quality years in test cricket and the vast majority of his great performances have been in perfect bowling conditions

He is light years behind Steyn (as their respective records indicate, I might add)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry but Jimmy has literally had about 2 top quality years in test cricket and the vast majority of his great performances have been in perfect bowling conditions

He is light years behind Steyn (as their respective records indicate, I might add)
Maybe, but Jimmy is light years ahead of all the Aussie bowlers at present. It is 3 years Jimmy has been quality anyway.

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular

'Light years' ahead of Jimmy? Are you mad? I would put Steyn slightly ahead yes, but if you were picking a dream current bowling attack, they would instantly be on the list. You would have to think hard about the third.

Hes also shown he can do it on not so great bowling conditions. Last years Ashes springs to mind, you're telling me that Adelaide, MCG and SCG were bowling paradises? Our batsman didn't think so. I wouldn't call Lords, Edgbaston and the Oval notably great for bowling either.

Their respective records of course favour Steyn, hes been great for longer. Can't look past Jummys record in the last 2 years though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe, but Jimmy is light years ahead of all the Aussie bowlers at present. It is 3 years Jimmy has been quality anyway.
You'd hope he would be ahead of the Aussie bowlers as most of them are still in diapers

Anyway, Jimmeh was completely rank during the '09 Ashes and averaged 35 in SA shortly thereafter

He is a massive beneficiary of juiced up tracks and declining batting standards and not in the same class as Steyn