• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Golden Era for Fast Bowling?

iamdavid

International Debutant
When has Pattinson showed he can get it to move both ways? I've only seen out-swing/seam from him and they haven't been as big as Cummins was able to get in SA. Whereas Cummins HAS shown the ability to move it both ways, watch his spell against Prince.

Pattinson has less control than Cummins. He might be hitting better areas in his last 3 innings whereas Cummins has been more scattered, but that's because Cummins is that kind of aggressive bowler and he knows what hes trying (bouncers or yorkers). When Pattinson strays just a bit he becomes easy to play, not with Cummins.

But I agree with that Cummins has a more difficult action, but there is no doubt he is far more talented.
At Brisbane on the first morning bowling to Ryder and Taylor he was getting the ball to regularly move into right hander and away from left hander. Granted he doesn't seem to be able to do it on demand or get it to move as appreciably as his away swinger, but he does have it.

I disagree re the control too. Cummins' direction is generally pretty good for a guy of his age, but every now and then (especially later in spells when he's a little tired) he seems to totally lose his **** and produce the odd full toss/very wide delivery..witness his spell at J'burg before lunch on whatever day it was in the second innings. It doesn't seem to happen regularly enough to be a huge pressure-killer and I'm confident that as he gets fitter and refines his action he'll eradicate it, but he just generally doesn't seem as polished and consistent as Pattinson just yet.

smash84

The Tiger King
No, he gets his lbws from the ball that goes straight on usually. His lack of an inswinger/inducker that he can actually control was why he couldn't get Tendulkar out during his otherwise wonderspell. Pretty sure I've said this about twenty times already though.
Liar. you have probably said it more

TumTum

Banned
At Brisbane on the first morning bowling to Ryder and Taylor he was getting the ball to regularly move into right hander and away from left hander. Granted he doesn't seem to be able to do it on demand or get it to move as appreciably as his away swinger, but he does have it.

I disagree re the control too. Cummins' direction is generally pretty good for a guy of his age, but every now and then (especially later in spells when he's a little tired) he seems to totally lose his **** and produce the odd full toss/very wide delivery..witness his spell at J'burg before lunch on whatever day it was in the second innings. It doesn't seem to happen regularly enough to be a huge pressure-killer and I'm confident that as he gets fitter and refines his action he'll eradicate it, but he just generally doesn't seem as polished and consistent as Pattinson just yet.
Yeah ok I understand those balls that happen on rare occasions, but that's like saying Siddle moves the ball both ways because of what he was doing at Hobart. The difference is doing it on demand, which is what Cummins can do.

Agree on the second paragraph, Cummins is still young and obviously can't sustain the effort, but you have to remember he was bowling on a less bowler friendly pitch in SA and ABdV and Amla put on a huge partnership. He was trying for the glory ball yorker and got it wrong. This is probably a compliment for him that he didn't give up and was trying stuff to get a wicket.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not sure if this is the wonderspell you are talking about, but technically he did get Tendulkar out ;)

Dale Steyn 5_75 _ 1_43 v India_ 3rd Test 2010_11.flv - YouTube
Nah I mean his individual spell post-lunch where he got Pujara (with possibly the greatest delivery I have ever seen in Test cricket) and Dhoni and beat Tendulkar's bat with outswingers about ten times. Tendulkar was batting right across his stumps a mile outside his crease - one well-pitched inswinger/inducker and he was dead. But every time he tried it would go down leg or just not go at all.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Way too early to judge Pattinson/Cummins. Need to give them both a year in test cricket.

Same with Bracewell.

WI have some good prospects but again totally unproven, so is Junaid Khan, Yadav and Aaron etc.

Have to wait and see. Its not uncommon for bowlers/batsmen to get a honeymoon period in international cricket before getting found out somewhat.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
You guys wait til Hamish Bennett is fit again. He's going to be the next Shane Bond. He's gonna destroy. Him and Bracewell.

hazsa19

International Regular
Nah I mean his individual spell post-lunch where he got Pujara (with possibly the greatest delivery I have ever seen in Test cricket) and Dhoni and beat Tendulkar's bat with outswingers about ten times. Tendulkar was batting right across his stumps a mile outside his crease - one well-pitched inswinger/inducker and he was dead. But every time he tried it would go down leg or just not go at all.
Interesting. Where would you consider Jimmy Anderson in all this?

If there's one person in world cricket who can move it either way on demand, then it's Jimmeh.

Spark

Global Moderator

If there's one person in world cricket who can move it either way on demand, then it's Jimmeh.
There is a reason he holds the record for dismissing Tendulkar the most times.

His method for combating big hooping outswingers seems to be bat right in front of his stumps and plant his front foot down and play from there, hoping to frustrate the bowlers into pitching straight in search of the magic ball and into his zone. All well and good until one pitches outside off then comes back in.

So when both Broad and Anderson got the ball to move away and then also getting a few to nip back sharply (2nd innings @ Lord's especially) it's no surprise he was well and truly ****ed.

It's why I say Pattinson really needs the ball that comes back in to have Tendulkar in deep trouble. Siddle has it but he doesn't swing it away. He's too good to miss straight balls.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Zak can also move it on demand with the new ball and is amazing with the reverse swing.

What about Gul, I have seen him swing the new ball both ways as well. He also has that amazing delivery where he swings the ball in and then cuts the leg (or the other way around).

Spark

Global Moderator
Zak can also move it on demand with the new ball and is amazing with the reverse swing.

What about Gul, I have seen him swing the new ball both ways as well. He also has that amazing delivery where he swings the ball in and then cuts the leg (or the other way around).
The way Zaheer works over lefties to trap them LBW is pretty similar tbh, although mirror-image. Work them across with outswingers, move one back - dead.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

IMO Jimmeh is the most complete fast bowler in the world just now.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes Jimmy and Steyn are pretty clear from the chasing pack at the moment, they've countered having to bowl in all kinds of conditions over a long period of time. But the future of fast bowling looks good providing these young players can be managed well and do not get swayed by earning fortunes in a mickey mouse format of cricket.

hazsa19

International Regular
I would say Jimmy is in the top bracket with Steyn, a level above the rest. Zaheer might be there if he were fit.

Jimmy actually bowls as many inswingers as he does outswingers. The inswinger is almost his stock delivery now, certainly to lefties. He pushes it across, pushes it across, and the one hitting the stumps is the surprise delivery.

Imagine Steyn and Anderson as a new ball pairing!