• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best place to acquire old cricket balls

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Been doing a bit of casual tweaking n the nets and came across a rude surprise when I actually bowled in a game for the first time this season.

The practice balls I've been using are too light and bounce far too much. When I use the same action on a game ball the extra weight makes it drop shorter and come off the pitch much slower, which makes it cannon fodder (I'm talking 3-0-39-0 cannon fodder).

In other words, I'm looking for a good way to find/buy some proper balls to practice leggies without having to buy new ones - which would be wasted on the likes of me anyway. Have tried to scab off mates to no avail.

Not looking to buy/sell per se but would appreciate a poke in the right direction.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Check with third umpire at Bellerive. Should be two near brand new balls in his possession after today.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
HAHA I GET IT NOW, BALLS ARE A BYWORD FOR TESTICLES IN WESTERN ENGLISH ETYMOLOGY.

Does anyone have any ****ing useful advice or not?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Go down to where a team is training and wait for one to get clobbered into some bushes? Ask them if they have any mangy looking ones that they are about to throw away?

No idea mate. Might just be easier to buy a new one. It's nearly Christmas time......

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Cricket balls are like socks, they just randomly disappear and you can never, ever get them back.

Think every cricket club in Australia is asking the same question you are, LHC.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Been doing a bit of casual tweaking n the nets and came across a rude surprise when I actually bowled in a game for the first time this season.

The practice balls I've been using are too light and bounce far too much. When I use the same action on a game ball the extra weight makes it drop shorter and come off the pitch much slower, which makes it cannon fodder (I'm talking 3-0-39-0 cannon fodder).

In other words, I'm looking for a good way to find/buy some proper balls to practice leggies without having to buy new ones - which would be wasted on the likes of me anyway. Have tried to scab off mates to no avail.

Not looking to buy/sell per se but would appreciate a poke in the right direction.
So your bowling like your username then.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Oh man this thread was so asking for it.

How much wear and tear consitutes as old? I have dozens of balls rolling around in my shed, would be happy to sell them for a tenner

slowfinger

International Debutant
god, its just cricket balls, I don't even see international standard people complaining about the weight of the ball?

Challis

U19 12th Man
You could always try ebay. People who live near grounds/training fields often collect any they find and then sell them in batches, obviously they will be used, you could get lucky and get a bargain on an auction.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
god, its just cricket balls, I don't even see international standard people complaining about the weight of the ball?
...because they are always the same.

Chances are that LHC has some of the junior balls, that only weight 142g rather than the 156g normal variety.