• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag greatest ever in sub continent?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Butcher best on day five of a fourth Ashes Test in England in 2001

Discuss.

Burgey

On the same "ridiculously easy to bat" flat tracks, Nasser Hussain averages in the 20s, Pietersen and Bell (whose career averages border 50) average in the mid 30s
Home batsman doing better in conditions he grew up in shocker.

Burgey

But flat tracks should be easy to bat for all batsmen, not just those who play at home
There are lots of variables in terms of how players perform. It's natural you bat well in conditions you grow up in, and play accordingly. I don't know why it's a difficult thing to grasp.

You grow up in seaming or swinging conditions, you learn to bat properly against a moving ball. You grow up in India you learn to play the turning ball.

It's not just along national lines either. Players batting in Adelaide and Perth bat differently, for example, than those from Sydney or the Bleak City.

ret

International Debutant
Discounting Lara, I would say Sehwag is pretty much the best test batsman of the last decade :p

ganeshran

International Debutant
There are lots of variables in terms of how players perform. It's natural you bat well in conditions you grow up in, and play accordingly. I don't know why it's a difficult thing to grasp.

You grow up in seaming or swinging conditions, you learn to bat properly against a moving ball. You grow up in India you learn to play the turning ball.

It's not just along national lines either. Players batting in Adelaide and Perth bat differently, for example, than those from Sydney or the Bleak City.
I agree. But the point was not being made in relation to the moving or turning ball. On a flat track seam movement, swing and spin would be minimal making it easy for all batsmen to average higher. Home batsmen still have an advantage but others would not be disadvantaged too much because the condition advantage would be negated by a true wicket.

Sehwag does so well in the subcontinent because he is great on both flat and turning wickets. He is not comfortable against the moving ball given his limited footwork and tendency to go after everything outside the off stump. That does make him average on seaming wickets, but not a FTB.

Last edited:

Burgey

I don't know where the idea is coming from that the pitches here have been bowler-friendly for the past 10-15 years. There have been A few since the drought ended, but before that a 10 year dry spell flattened them out massively.

I don't think anyone is saying Sehwag can't bat ffs. He's the most dangerous batsman in the world I think. Just punishing on any width. It'll be a big test for our bowlers to try and tuck him up consistently. Can't give him any room. He's a beast of a player.

ret

International Debutant
Let's assume for a moment that sehwag is a flat track bully but when you are likely to find more tracks where he could make a big impact on the game, may be it is not a bad thing :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Let's assume for a moment that sehwag is a flat track bully but when you are likely to find more tracks where he could make a big impact on the game, may be it is not a bad thing :p
It isn't a bad thing at all. He'd be of far less use to India if he was **** against spin but was outstanding on seaming tracks.