• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum

deeps

International 12th Man
Mccullum is a crap keeper! A fairly good batsman,with plenty of talent...But i'm not convinced that he can become a Very good keeper!

And Chris Nevin is a useless batsman!(just thought i'd add that)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry Neil, I obviously regard 'tosser' as a slightly less harsh a word.

McCullum isn't a crap keeper, he just has a few technical issues. But I agree that Nevin is crap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If he's good enough to score those runs and his domestic average is bad then that means that he's not good enough to score those runs? Perfect sense as usual. :rolleyes:
No, I never said he "wasn't good enough to score those runs", because I am behind the times and haven't read any match-reports yet.
However, does a poor domestic one-day average not mean anything? Accompanied by a hitherto even worse ODI one?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
How do you rate your own current keeper Richard, Chris Read who averages 27 after 117 FC county matches.

McCullum averages 28 after 17 FC matches & is starting to get better. How you can even rate a player after so few matches is interesting.

I don't want to start comparing averages to every player but I think you need to worry about the ability of your own players.
OK, a few points:
1, I never mentioned FC-cricket. McCullum's FC-average is OK (nothing special, but respectable enough for a wicketkeeper). I mentioned his List-A average. No, you cannot rate a player with any absolute certainty after just a few matches (I'm not entirely certain how many List-A matches McCullum has played), but you can say "he has done poorly, so why keep selecting him?"
2, I worry about English players no more or less than those from anywhere else. I am a cricket fan before I am a fan of any team.
3, incidentally, regarding Read: I rate him higher than I did after 2001, but his last season was disappointing given the start and his 2002. I still think he might make a decent Test player, but Geirant Jones would probably make an even better one. He's only played one season and you can't judge anyone with certainty on one season but his was, for two thirds, an exceptional season. I hope he carries on the form of the first two thirds in 2003 (if he doesn't play this winter) next season and gets selected. Put it this way: Read could be good, Jones could be very good.

anzac

International Debutant
McCullum needs to consistantly score at better than his average to be anything other than ' a good prospect'. He then needs to start converting some of those scores into a dominant / influential innings.

He has a big reputation as an explosive 'hitter', and was IMO 'sacrificed' by the selectors as opener on his debut in the VB series in OZ. However apart from the one knock v OZ he has still yet to show if he is a batsman of a smash & grab merchant following his brain explosion today.

Andre

International Regular
Ok, can we keep this topic to McCullum rather than a Richards vs the rest topic?

Cheers everyone.

My 2 cents - McCullum is improving, but he always makes atleast one real clanger each match.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Robbie Hart is a very good 'keeper and should definitely play the Tests, but you need a 'keeper who can bat well and preferably quickly in ODI's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
The latter for certain. Ask a kiwi about the former.
For all the Kiwis on here: does Chris Nevin still keep wicket for Canterbury or whoever he plays for?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it won't matter anyway because Nevin won't play another ODI once NZ return home.

His keeping is crap & his batting is just as worse.