• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag breaks world record ODI score

ret

International Debutant
I remember writing a lot on Sehwag here so nothing more to say but:

Sehwag :notworthy

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
One hell of an innings made to look simple
That's part of the reason why Sehwag doesn't get the due recognition. He makes it look so ridiculously easy, compared to a Dravid who drags you with him during his laborious knocks.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
He is a flat track bully, but that isn't really a criticism in modern cricket, especially not modern Indian cricket. There are plenty of days when a flat track bully scores the most runs, and a flat track bully is what you want. 200+ in an ODI is ****ing ridiclous. A poor bowling display on a flat wicket is the minimum bloody requirement.

Besides, sometimes he plays an innings that doesn't fit the label, because believe it or not, world class cricketers tend to not be one-dimensional caricatures. But it's as a flat track bully that he's mostly earned his keep and so deserves the tag.

Also, while he's a better player in spin-friendly conditions than seam-friendly (as is to be expected), it's nonesense that he thrives on turning, deteriorating wickets. This seems to be trotted out in an attempt to unnecessarily defend his flat track loving nature, or even Indian wickets entirely. His record in the second innings is poor, showing that in general he struggles just as much as anyone when the batting gets harder.
While I do agree that you have a point, that one innings(201*) was the absolute ultimate re dominating quality spin in spinning conditions though. It was to spin bowling for me what the 154* by Gooch means about facing fast bowling. A knock of the class neither Tendulkar or Ponting ever played and that rightly or wrongly impacts me strongly on how highly I rate Sehwag against spin bowling.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He may struggle on seaming/swinging tracks but is one of the best batsmen for sure on inconsistent bounce/slow wickets on turning tracks. But on CW if it does not seam/swing the pitch is flat automatically for some reason.

ret

International Debutant
Glanced at a post where some folks talked abt Sehwag's performance in the 2nd inning

link

If someone can avg 66 w/ sr of 83 in the first inning, I would take him irrespective of how he does in the 2nd inng :p

On top of that he has played some useful and/or memorable knocks in the 2nd inngs like the quick fire 83 against Eng, the 55 against WI, 151 at Adelaide, 90 at Mohali against Aus, 92 at Nagpur against Aus, .... and the 60 odd which set up an exiciting last day play against the WI

FlopDulkar

Cricket Spectator
Good to see some fake accounts, was expecting this after the Lillee and Imran thread.
fake accounts? No man... I am the real deal.

I don't know why I got an infraction. :wacko: I don't even have a say on this forum, you guys are rude. :( Reason - trolling? LIKE wtf!! How am I trolling? Can't I have an opinion FFS.

Watch now I am banned. *facepalm*

FlopDulkar

Cricket Spectator
should panesarv scan his passport to identify himself uniquely?

yes, don't get rid of me. :)

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't get how Sehwag's 4th innings average relates to how well he does against quality spinners. More often than not, Sehwag doesn't last till a spinner is brought on in the 4th innings of a test match, which is the unfortunate part. Because if he still happens to be batting when you introduce your spinner in the 4th innings of a test match, your screwed.

abmk

State 12th Man
While I do agree that you have a point, that one innings(201*) was the absolute ultimate re dominating quality spin in spinning conditions though. It was to spin bowling for me what the 154* by Gooch means about facing fast bowling. A knock of the class neither Tendulkar or Ponting ever played and that rightly or wrongly impacts me strongly on how highly I rate Sehwag against spin bowling.
Sachin's chennai 136 vs saqlain on a 4th day Chennai track in 99 ? Saqlain was bowling better than either of Murali/Mendis in the 2008 Galle test and the Chennai pitch was worse for batting.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin's chennai 136 vs saqlain on a 4th day Chennai track in 99 ? Saqlain was bowling better than either of Murali/Mendis in the 2008 Galle test and the Chennai pitch was worse for batting.
Honestbharni will get you.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Nah, Mendis at that point in his career was harder to face than pretty much any spinner in the last two decades and it was quality spin from both ends.

Would say Gavaskar's 96 is closer competition than Tendulkar's knock.

abmk

State 12th Man
Nah, Mendis at that point in his career was harder to face than pretty much any spinner in the last two decades and it was quality spin from both ends.

Would say Gavaskar's 96 is closer competition than Tendulkar's knock.
Well, I disagree, Saqlain was just brilliant at that time, even better than mendis in SL in 2008. And the Chennai pitch on the 4th day was clearly worse than the Galle one.

Gavaskar's 96 was on a tougher pitch , but not against better quality spin bowling.

In any case, I wouldn't say Sehwag's knock was a class apart when compared to the other 2.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
I think more than only Saqlain bowling well, Pakistan had a very good bowling line up in that match compared to the Srilankan one. Sure Saqlain was bowling well, but nothing like how Mendis was terrorizing the Indians in 2008. Never seen a spin bowler having the wood on Indian batsmen as Mendis had during that period. His every ball was a terror. And Sehwag just owned him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, I disagree, Saqlain was just brilliant at that time, even better than mendis in SL in 2008. And the Chennai pitch on the 4th day was clearly worse than the Galle one.

Gavaskar's 96 was on a tougher pitch , but not against better quality spin bowling.

In any case, I wouldn't say Sehwag's knock was a class apart when compared to the other 2.
How is that chennai pitch worse? Afridi got 141 there, FFS.. And that was against Kumble. I can understand you rating Saqlain above Mendis as Saqi with the doosra was as much a mystery spinner then as Mendis was in 2008 but no way was that Chennai track worse.. It was sluggish and strokemaking was not easy but for survival, it was not that dificult at all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think more than only Saqlain bowling well, Pakistan had a very good bowling line up in that match compared to the Srilankan one. Sure Saqlain was bowling well, but nothing like how Mendis was terrorizing the Indians in 2008. Never seen a spin bowler having the wood on Indian batsmen as Mendis had during that period. His every ball was a terror. And Sehwag just owned him.
Not to forget Murali was still going strong. IN fact, IIRC, he was the one taking Sachin out, not Mendis. It looked like Sachin was reading Mendis alright but it was with Murali that he was losing out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Guys, this thread is about Sehwag. Please :(
lol.. and people wonder why it is annoying to see every thread be dragged into something about Sachin. :)

Anyways, to stay on course, I agree to disagree reg. the Sehwag knock and I think it truly deserves its place in the top 10 test knocks of all time by DoG's formula, which is as fair a method for ranking knocks as I have seen (there can never really be a completely perfect method, IMO)..

And this 219 was amazing simply because he seemed to do it with something to spare. Just astounding. Although I still think Sachin's 200 is better as it came against a bowling attack I would rank higher, 219 with almost 4 overs to go is just ridiculous.