• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag breaks world record ODI score

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
One wonders if he should have scored 500 runs if it was a flat track. Clearly 219 is not enough on this track.

Teja.

Global Moderator
That Galle knock was probably the best I've seen.

Was in the top 10 knocks too in that greatest innings feature iirc.

chicane

State Captain
Jono said:
On CW if it doesn't seam it's a flat track for some reason.
Yeah that POV here is funny, and seems to be popular especially for performances by SC batsmen in the SC.

Anyway, say what you want about flat tracks, rubbish bowling, short boundaries and all. Its weak trying to dismiss 309, 319, 293, 254, 219 etc. not to mention the strike rate. Just ridiculous and unprecedented.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
His "test" already came and went, twice, and he failed on both occasions. Australia isn't really a test because regardless of what people say about the supposed "hard and bouncy" pitches they're generally pretty flat. And sehwag has done exceedingly well in AUS so far.
:D Now you say that Australia also has flat wickets, just because Sehwag has a very good record there,
On a flat MCG wicket, Sehwag scored 195 and the next highest score for India in that innings was 49,
On a flat Adelaide wicket, Sehwag scored 151 and the next highest score for India was 20:huh:.

Its just recently that some Australian wickets have become a bit flat, but overall, they have always had good pace and bounce, maybe you are not watching the NZ Aus series.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
:D Now you say that Australia also has flat wickets, just because Sehwag has a very good record there,
On a flat MCG wicket, Sehwag scored 195 and the next highest score for India in that innings was 49,
On a flat Adelaide wicket, Sehwag scored 151 and the next highest score for India was 20:huh:.

Its just recently that some Australian wickets have become a bit flat, but overall, they have always had good pace and bounce, maybe you are not watching the NZ Aus series.

i think ure misunderstanding me man. Im a sehwag fan. I was just arguing against the idea that australia will be some great test for him. In my opinion sehwags test was south africa and england which he disappointed me in.

I think next to lara and perhaps 90s sachin he is the finest player of spin ive ever seen and like people said his galle innings should be one of the top 15 atleast of all time. (probably best 1st innings knock).

But im not gonna deny the fact that he has trouble in seaming and swinging conditions because he does. Thankfully those 2 things don't typify australian pitches. IMO he should do well. *fingers crossed and hoping he does well so this doesn't get quoted and ridiculed later*

Howe_zat

Audio File
He is a flat track bully, but that isn't really a criticism in modern cricket, especially not modern Indian cricket. There are plenty of days when a flat track bully scores the most runs, and a flat track bully is what you want. 200+ in an ODI is ****ing ridiclous. A poor bowling display on a flat wicket is the minimum bloody requirement.

Besides, sometimes he plays an innings that doesn't fit the label, because believe it or not, world class cricketers tend to not be one-dimensional caricatures. But it's as a flat track bully that he's mostly earned his keep and so deserves the tag.

Also, while he's a better player in spin-friendly conditions than seam-friendly (as is to be expected), it's nonesense that he thrives on turning, deteriorating wickets. This seems to be trotted out in an attempt to unnecessarily defend his flat track loving nature, or even Indian wickets entirely. His record in the second innings is poor, showing that in general he struggles just as much as anyone when the batting gets harder.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member

The MCG is typically slow and low compared to the rest, given its now a drop-in pitch. Not the greatest pitch to bat on by any means. Wasn't as bad as it is now back for Sehwag's 195 though.

Adelaide is as close to a road as you can get, with 60m square boundaries to top it all off. If anyone doesn't make runs there I'd be very, very surprised.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
i think ure misunderstanding me man. Im a sehwag fan. I was just arguing against the idea that australia will be some great test for him. In my opinion sehwags test was south africa and england which he disappointed me in.

I think next to lara and perhaps 90s sachin he is the finest player of spin ive ever seen and like people said his galle innings should be one of the top 15 atleast of all time. (probably best 1st innings knock).

But im not gonna deny the fact that he has trouble in seaming and swinging conditions because he does. Thankfully those 2 things don't typify australian pitches. IMO he should do well. *fingers crossed and hoping he does well so this doesn't get quoted and ridiculed later*
Agree with you.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
He is a flat track bully, but that isn't really a criticism in modern cricket, especially not modern Indian cricket. There are plenty of days when a flat track bully scores the most runs, and a flat track bully is what you want. 200+ in an ODI is ****ing ridiclous. A poor bowling display on a flat wicket is the minimum bloody requirement.

Besides, sometimes he plays an innings that doesn't fit the label, because believe it or not, world class cricketers tend to not be one-dimensional caricatures. But it's as a flat track bully that he's mostly earned his keep and so deserves the tag.

Also, while he's a better player in spin-friendly conditions than seam-friendly (as is to be expected), it's nonesense that he thrives on turning, deteriorating wickets. This seems to be trotted out in an attempt to unnecessarily defend his flat track loving nature, or even Indian wickets entirely. His record in the second innings is poor, showing that in general he struggles just as much as anyone when the batting gets harder.
This isn't true, this is a typical way of underrating someone by targeting the pitches,
turning wickets are very difficult to bat on, just like pitches with swing and bounce.
Even Steve Waugh has a pretty bad average batting in the 3rd or 4th innings of the match,
and his strike rate is half as good as Sehwag in that case.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
This isn't true,
He averages 31 in the second innings. That's a poor record.
this is a typical way of underrating someone by targeting the pitches,
What on earth were you trying to say here?

turning wickets are very difficult to bat on, just like pitches with swing and bounce.
Yes, exactly. My point is that some people are fallciously claming that Sehwag thrives in those conditions. I'm saying that his second innings record shows that usually isn't the case.

Even Steve Waugh has a pretty bad average batting in the 3rd or 4th innings of the match,
and his strike rate is half as good as Sehwag in that case.
Strike rate usually matters very little in test match cricket. More to the point, it almost never matters when conditions are difficult to bat in.

Last edited:

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sehwag plays spin very well, and can handle extra bounce relatively easily too. It's swing and seam movement which gets him pwned almost all the time. The guy simply doesn't have adequate feet movement to thrive on swinging/seaming tracks.

But the specialty of him is that, when presented with a true track, he can do things that other batters can only dream of. That's why he's the definition of FTB :p

shankar

International Debutant
My point is that some people are fallciously claming that Sehwag thrives in those conditions. I'm saying that his second innings record shows that usually isn't the case.
The claim is that he is very good on turning surfaces. His second innings record can only be used against that claim if it can be shown that failure against spin was the reason for that record.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There is no denying that Sehwag has his issues against seam and swing but his problems are not as pronounced as a Raina's. He has after all scored at least one hundred each in Aus, SA, Eng. And for an "FTB", he has an uncanny knack of producing big hundreds when most of the team struggles.

I am fine if someone says that Sehwag doesn't score enough in seaming and swinging conditions, which is a truth tbf. But when even the odd good performances in tough conditions get pulled down by excuses that bowler x was injured, or the pitch was not as bouncy as in past, or it was a 1st/2nd inning (depending on whether a case is being made for performance against spin or pace), that is when I get irritated. I mean no matter how poor Sehwag's technique is, he is good enough to have a non-zero probability of playing a good knock under difficult conditions? Why should he have exactly ZERO such innings for your point about his poor technique to hold?

And as for the 219, lot of batsmen have played similar attacks in similar conditions, no one has got close to that score. That's a record we simply must recognize for what it is, unless you can name a few ODI double hundreds on green tops.

Last edited:

chicane

State Captain
The claim is that he is very good on turning surfaces. His second innings record can only be used against that claim if it can be shown that failure against spin was the reason for that record.
Yeah I haven't checked but would find it curious if stats show spinners have got the better of him. There are many examples, but the Galle 08 knock alone is enough to see his ability vs tough spin bowling.

chicane

State Captain
There is no denying that Sehwag has his issues against seam and swing but his problems are not as pronounced as a Raina's. He has after all scored at least one hundred each in Aus, SA, Eng. And for an "FTB", he has an uncanny knack of producing big hundreds when most of the other team struggles.
Was really disappointed he didn't prove a point in England, still believe he has the ability to score runs in tough swinging conditions, albeit not at an incredible rate (average that is).

Last edited:

FlopDulkar

Cricket Spectator
clearly a fluke... props to him though. I won't call him the "Viv Richard" for this era. He cannot handle this title, atleast not for now. Plus he was playing on road FFS.

panesarv

Banned
clearly a fluke... props to him though. I won't call him the "Viv Richard" for this era. He cannot handle this title, atleast not for now. Plus he was playing on road FFS.
How can we label him Viv Richards when he will be dancing to bouncers in Australia?

FlopDulkar

Cricket Spectator
^ It will be funny to see him in flip flops when Starc throws him one short pitched delivery, and he nicks it to 2nd slip. Comedy.