• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashley Mallett: Memo to Nathan Lyon

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A word of warning: take care with whom you talk offspin, because I've seen the nonsense going on at the Centre of Excellence, where spinners are wired to music.
Sounds about right from what you hear.

Ashley probably could've just the bloke an email though, tbh.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Mallett's articles about spin bowling are always top-notch. I was in awe of Clarrie Grimmett only as a result of reading up Mallett.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The best offie I saw was Erapalli Prasanna
Must have had selective blindness during Murali's career. And neither Prasanna nor Murali were from Mallet's hyphed "old school". Both used wrist to bowl off breaks and both bowled the doosra.

Himannv

International Coach
Good article and interesting read on the whole. Quite a bit of technique thrown in it too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I showed Daniel Vettori the method of bowling a square spinner. It is the offspinner's equivalent of the legbreak bowler's slider, which is pushed out of the front of the hand. When you get it right, the ball looks like an offbreak but appears to have less purchase on it. Upon hitting the pitch, it skids on straight.
And he's bowled every ball of every spell for the last 5 or so years. Thanks Ash.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Australia news: Australia's spin struggle exposed by CA study | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Another interesting article.

One thing I've never understood is the eagerness to get young guys bowling to State squad members, especially in trial games. In the nets, the incentive is to try and get him out, not as big a deal if you get bombed.

I was playing T20s as a 19 year old in squad trial games, bowling to guys like Aiden Blizzard and Aaron Finch, and you think, what is the purpose? How is that going to make me a better bowler?

The other one about bowling by themselves is a good one too. Working by yourself is so, so important, and the other underrated feature is bowling just at one batsman for a long time, and working him over. Nothing worse for a spinner than just bowling one ball at a guy, then he rotates nets or takes a run when he's batting with a partner. Doesn't simulate match conditions at all, and it also has a negative effect on how batsmen play spin.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Maybe worth noting that Lyon, like Warne before him, grew up outside the CA umbrella. Nath was a curator, plucked from net bowling in true Roy of the Rovers Redbacks styley and Shane got slung out of the Institute for his overly affectionate relationship with the pies. An affair that's now very dead indeed.

Is CA more of a hinderance than a help to young spinners? Semi-serious Q.