• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev?

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is similar to the Lillee vs. Holding poll, in a sense. Most people think that one bloke is better than the other, but the margin is not monumental. Hope that people reading the poll results appreciate that perspective.
Unfortunately they don't. People don't realize that poll results are not a reflection of how closely people rate the two options and some even start voting for the one who's losing out of sympathy.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
For anyone who followed Kapil Dev over his career, why is his record in England so poor with the ball? 43 wickets @ 39.18 is strange for a bowler who I consider to have one of the best outswingers in recent history.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
that lillian thomson seems to be boiling her **** off is all that is happening around here

I'm not boiling anything. I'm just posting in my normal style. You don't have to be boiling to call someone who posts nonsense an idiot.

*just a quick edit" I'm also not a her and don't have breasts." Thank you.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
For anyone who followed Kapil Dev over his career, why is his record in England so poor with the ball? 43 wickets @ 39.18 is strange for a bowler who I consider to have one of the best outswingers in recent history.
Because Kapil was a green top bully who needed conditions to be in his favour and couldn't bowl on the flatter tracks of England.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I have seen the latter live. It was the series that Kumble announced himself with his version of flipper called the "rocket ball". Kapil's batting was just jaw dropping.
Wish we had a video of that one. Awesome innings, m requesting Rob again:p.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, I voted for Kapil.

I believe that during Botham's peak, he was the best cricketer the world has ever seen. However, his peak just didn't last long enough for mine and the rest of his career severely drags him down. When I judge a cricketer I take his whole career into account - including the longevity of said career - and when I compare cricketers I ask myself "which career would be more valuable across a cross-section of Test sides?" - and in this case, I'd take Kapil's career. Achieving a mystically high level of skill and performance over a relatively short term is not, IMO, more valuable than achieving a level a little below that for a longer period, even though it may be more impressive.