• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev?

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Time for me to post some of the incredible achievements by Botham:

• Only cricketer to pick 5 wkts in an innings and score a century in the same match 5 times. No one did it more than twice.
  • Only cricketer to take 10+ fivers and 10+ hundreds
  • Only cricketer to break the 800 ICC rating point barrier both as batsman and as bowler

For someone so unbelievably gifted, it's a sad thing that he could not maintain the levels of commitment / did not hang his boot at the right time.
Impressive indeed.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

• Only cricketer to pick 5 wkts in an innings and score a century in the same match 5 times. No one did it more than twice.
  • Only cricketer to break the 800 ICC rating point barrier both as batsman and as bowler

For someone so unbelievably gifted, it's a sad thing that he could not maintain the levels of commitment / did not hang his boot at the right time.
Best all rounder ever, stats above back it up. The fact he played for at least 5 years longer than he should as the England selectors were clueless isn't his fault.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Impressive indeed and another example as to why career averages are over rated and doesnt give a true indication of a players quality.

N.B.
The longer I stay on this forum the better the all time England teams looks.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Thing I've never understood is how Botham has managed to look fitter in the SKY commentary box that he did in the last few years of his career.

In comparing all-rounders I think the debate often under-estimates how often Botham batted in the top six.

Miss both of them. Forget the stats and revel in the joie de vivre each brought to the game.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Impressive indeed and another example as to why career averages are over rated and doesnt give a true indication of a players quality.

N.B.
The longer I stay on this forum the better the all time England teams looks.
Stick with us, we'll have you believing we were the team of the nineties by Christmas :dry::dry:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
These two share a unique distinction - they are the only two cricketers who featured in both Wisden's top 100 batting and bowling performances.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Stick with us, we'll have you believing we were the team of the nineties by Christmas :dry::dry:
Just meant in relation to larwood (who though I still believe to be slightly over rated), and now Botham.
Botham and Miller may be the only two genuine top drawer all rounders.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I think Botham is clearly the better allrounder,
but Kapil will always be a hero for the Indians, if India wouldn't have won that 1983 WC under Kapil's captaincy, then cricket wouldn't have been so popular in India.
He is the greatest cricketer India has produced.

Last edited: