• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best years for test cricket?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Both in terms of quality as well as competitvness. I will go for late-mid 70's to early 80's though abrupted by Packer years.

An all time great Westindies side two very good Australian and English teams, Pakistan and India coming of age and starting to win abroad and a NZL side with Hadlee could always spring a surprise its a shameSA was banned at that time and we did not get to see the Barry Rickard's and the Pollock brothers and a few others.

Thoughts?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Yeah I agree. It was a great period for test cricket. Also the 90's was a great period, with some of the greatest bowlers going around.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
1990's. Only period perhaps when there were great batsmen, great fast bowlers and great spinners were active at the same time.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
AWT90s. The decade had a bit of everything. Such a good time to be a cricket fan. If only India weren't **** abroad at the time :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
Thought mid 2000's was pretty good an ATG Aus side very good English, Indian and Pakistan sides lead by Vaughan, Ganguly and Inzi. Fleming made NZL a very competitive outfit while Murali inspired SL were always a threat Solid SA rounded off a very good top 7 and you could always look forward to Lara brilliance whenever WI played.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I know you guys liked watching India as the #1 team, but I had no idea it was that much.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
This question is probably best answered by people who have watched several decades worth of cricket. The 90s were marvelous though IMO. You had several great pace attacks; spinners that showed up once every 50 years; all-time great batsmen; a team with the kind of collective and individual talent rarely seen; and sporting/varied pitches.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
India haven't toured England since 2007, mate. The FTP is messed up. Scotland doesn't seem to have any tours lined up either.
I was actually a wee bit disappointed India didn't come up here for a game, particularly given the size of the SC population here (granted in Glasgow it's mostly 3rd generation Pakistanis.)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie dominance started in 99.
That's true. While Australia were winning a lot of test series all over the world, they did not acquire the aura of dominance until the world cup 99 victory. Before that Australia, South Africa and Pakistan all appeared equally good in both forms of the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
India haven't toured England since 2007, mate. The FTP is messed up. Scotland doesn't seem to have any tours lined up either.
Can people stop having a go at GF for being Scottish, it's not his fault!

Besides that we've moved on from naturalising players to taking fans from other countries.