• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson out for the Summer?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can only see Johnson playing test cricket again if the new brigade of bowlers have shockers and he storms it in shield games. Will likely play ODIs due to his allr ound abilities.

howardj

International Coach
Will find it very hard to get back if he is out for the Summer.

Averages 57 this year, and the selectors have already flagged their intention to 'go young' at least with the quicks anyway.

Son Of Coco

Bowlers are a lot more condition reliant than batsmen though.

Johnson at Perth is probably the best bowler in the world.
Correction. Johnson bowling well at Perth is probably the best bowler in the world. As is Johnson bowling well in South Africa.

Johnson bowling poorly, which happens far more often, is complete rubbish.

If your bowlers bowl well, then more often than not they look good. It doesn't really matter who they are or where they are playing.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a summer where we don't have to wait for Mitch to become a 'matchwinner' once a series (or once every 12 months). Good to see the other guys getting a go.

Pothas

He does normally destroy everyone on the rare occasions when he plays shield cricket for WA though doesn't he? The Perth thing is obviously not a pure coincidence.

You never know maybe a few months out then next season smashing it in domestic cricket might do him good.

Ruckus

International Captain
Reckon that thing about Johnson being an asset because he destroys the opposition once every year is pretty overrated tbh. It mainly seems like he is such an amazing bowler, because relative to the other **** he throws up, it is mindboggingly better. If you think about it though, pretty much every bowler has at least one awesome performance a year - it might not be as spectacular as Johnson's, but nevertheless it still usually amounts to excellent figures for the match (and is usually match winning). Contrastingly though, most other bowlers can provide more consistency in between the peaks and troughs, where as Johnson simply can't.

adub

International Captain
Bowlers are a lot more condition reliant than batsmen though.

Johnson at Perth is probably the best bowler in the world.
Johnson at Perth is the same as Johnson in South Africa... (as noted above)

I didn't believe in Santa Claus, but maybe...

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon that thing about Johnson being an asset because he destroys the opposition once every year is pretty overrated tbh. It mainly seems like he is such an amazing bowler, because relative to the other **** he throws up, it is mindboggingly better. If you think about it though, pretty much every bowler has at least one awesome performance a year - it might not be as spectacular as Johnson's, but nevertheless it still usually amounts to excellent figures for the match (and is usually match winning). Contrastingly though, most other bowlers can provide more consistency in between the peaks and troughs, where as Johnson simply can't.
I can honestly say that Johnson at his best is head and shoulders better than the typical Test bowler at their best. I'm fairly certain no one besides Steyn can approach him on his day.

However being exceptional in one spell and mediocre in the next hundred makes for an overall pretty poor bowler.

Ruckus

International Captain
I can honestly say that Johnson at his best is head and shoulders better than the typical Test bowler at their best. I'm fairly certain no one besides Steyn can approach him on his day.
Yeah that's why I said other bowlers peaks aren't quite as spectacular as Johnson's. But when it comes down to it, Johnson's best peformance in a year might yield figures of 6/40, whilst anothers best performance will yield 6/70 or something. At the end of the day, whilst Johnson's 6/40 was probably more spectacular, more skillful and achieved slightly better figures, both will go a long way in winning the match for the team.

Spark

Global Moderator
TBF diminishing returns means that the difference between 6-for and 8-for is often how good your other bowlers are.

But yeah Johnson at his best is absurd.

TumTum

Banned
Johnson was a fearsome bowler at his best and had the x-factor (of taking wickets from nowhere). Vicious bouncers and late movement. But if you think about it more closely he was never that good skill wise, even at his best. He lost his aura/fearsomeness shortly after and that x-factor turned out to be the luck-factor. Before he was taking wickets because of a combination of batsman being afraid or not knowing how to play him and he had luck on his side. Of course he did bowl genuinely well what like 2/3 times in his career where he was getting in-swing, and even then nobody had any idea how he was doing it.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think the tempting thing with Johnson is that I don't think he needs major changes. If he can get a better seam position, more consistency with line and length; learn to contain, etc he can be a very good bowler.