• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Johnson out for the Summer?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
a Christmas miracle!
I'm not rejoicing yet. It depends on:
a) if we can manage to still beat New Zealand; and
b) who ends up being his replacement for the Indians

Johnson going would have been a good news when I thought the fast bowling attack would be exclusively chosen from Harris, Cummins, Watson, Siddle, Copeland and Bollinger. As I've said before though I'd still prefer him to the three rookie bowlers in the squad at present.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Everyone who was thinking this could prove beneficial to Australia during the test series with India still believe this?

Not being a smartarse, genuinely curious whether people would prefer Starc, Hilfenhaus etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everyone who was thinking this could prove beneficial to Australia during the test series with India still believe this?

Not being a smartarse, genuinely curious whether people would prefer Starc, Hilfenhaus etc.
Well I said this earlier in the thread:

At this point I'd be happy to see the back of Johnson if it meant Australia were looking at building a balanced attack with included Copeland or Butterworth ... or even if Bollinger, Harris and Cameron were all going to fit regularly, but I'd sooner have Johnson than Cutting, Starc or Pattinson. He will be a loss if those are his only potential replacements, IMO.

Happy to take back what I said about Pattinson as he seems to have far greater control of length than I'd seen previously, but the rest still holds. I'd much prefer him to Starc at this stage of Starc's career; although I'd be pretty disappointed if Starc never ended up as good as Johnson is now.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I would have Cutting ahead of Johnson in a heartbeat. Starc doesn't have the benefit of several years in the test side to work on his deficiencies with the so-called 'best' coaching we have available so it's unfair to compare him with Johnson or Siddle right now. It's a bit sad that we are considering Johnson and Starc in the same breath really considering how long Johnson has had in the side to get things right.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm it is kind of tough. Not from the point of view of bowling vs bowling though imo. On bowling alone, I'd definately take Hilfenhaus. We should have enough strike power in Siddle and Pattinson (both whom I'd give preference to over Johnson) and the third slot needs to be a bowler closer to someone like Hilf who can bowl a lot of overs with a decent economy. Because our batting line up looks so fragile though, having him in the tail could be pretty useful. Would still probably take Hilf though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

To be honest mate, I'm that tired of seeing Johnson bowl **** I'd rather we spent some time trying all the other options first. Purely for my own sanity.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would have Cutting ahead of Johnson in a heartbeat. Starc doesn't have the benefit of several years in the test side to work on his deficiencies with the so-called 'best' coaching we have available so it's unfair to compare him with Johnson or Siddle right now. It's a bit sad that we are considering Johnson and Starc in the same breath really considering how long Johnson has had in the side to get things right.
Tbf, since McDermott became bowling coach the attack hasn't done too much wrong, save the second innings in Cape Town.