• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is the Pakistan Team right now? (AKA the Pakistani climate thread)

smash84

The Tiger King
No. The only thing that was done in the way of comparisons, was this team compared to the 2004/5 one.
yeah, I think it was this

and maybe some article on cricinfo which put this team in the top 5 or something. Not sure about that

Woodster

International Captain
I think the signs are currently encouraging for this Pakistan squad but their propensity for self-destruction never allows you too much room for positivity in the years ahead, but here's hoping. There is some consistency in selection at the moment, they are getting a settled top six and ensuring Umar Akmal has to work hard to regain his place in the team.

They have decent bowling options, although I would expect England to win much comfortably in our own conditions, in the UAE I certainly think things will be much tighter. Pakistan's batting may have to be a little more pro-active, and not allow our attack to just bowl to them and contain them, as we have bowlers very capable of that and also picking up wickets as we go.

How we cope with the likes of Ajmal, Rehman, Hafeez, will be key for me.

Pakistan are being well led by Misbah, his calming influence has bred confidence, maybe when things do start going wrong and defeats begin to take place, maybe we will get a better idea of where Pakistan are really at. I think England will edge the Test series, don't think it'll be a walk in the park though.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Everyone here is discussing Pakistan and England, and the series isn't that far off, so why not have the one thread for it.

I think the signs are currently encouraging for this Pakistan squad but their propensity for self-destruction never allows you too much room for positivity in the years ahead, but here's hoping. There is some consistency in selection at the moment, they are getting a settled top six and ensuring Umar Akmal has to work hard to regain his place in the team.

They have decent bowling options, although I would expect England to win much comfortably in our own conditions, in the UAE I certainly think things will be much tighter. Pakistan's batting may have to be a little more pro-active, and not allow our attack to just bowl to them and contain them, as we have bowlers very capable of that and also picking up wickets as we go.

Pakistan are being well led by Misbah, his calming influence has bred confidence, maybe when things do start going wrong and defeats begin to take place, maybe we will get a better idea of where Pakistan are really at. I think England will edge the Test series, don't think it'll be a walk in the park though.
Top post as always Woodster.

joker4life

Cricket Spectator
Most England fans r either high on some good **** or simply dont understand cricket...pak bowlers and specially spinners dominated a batting side that is well known in playing spin (sri lankan)...if we go historically and even by recent series in india..English players have always struggled against spinn...this England side struggled against REVINDRA JADEJA WHEN they were in in India..how would they play a world class bowler like ajmal.. specially when he is supported by the likes of afridi , rahman, and hafeez..
I would say pak will win odi and test..I am soo sure of this that I am willing to put my moustache on the line..
For the past 2 months or so I have been trying to grow my moustache like chulbul pandey from dabanggg..i finaly have it that way nicely just like salu bhai..I will shave my moustache if England win any of odi or test series. In plain Hindi/ urdu mounch mound waa donga..

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
One Day Batting doesn't equal Test Batting.

Also the pitches are hardly likely to be rank turners either also considering the Test team contains 4 players who are pretty good against spin in Bell, KP, Morgan and Prior.

Take a photo of your 'stache it'll last longer.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Most England fans r either high on some good **** or simply dont understand cricket...pak bowlers and specially spinners dominated a batting side that is well known in playing spin (sri lankan)...if we go historically and even by recent series in india..English players have always struggled against spinn...this England side struggled against REVINDRA JADEJA WHEN they were in in India..how would they play a world class bowler like ajmal.. specially when he is supported by the likes of afridi , rahman, and hafeez..
I would say pak will win odi and test..I am soo sure of this that I am willing to put my moustache on the line..
For the past 2 months or so I have been trying to grow my moustache like chulbul pandey from dabanggg..i finaly have it that way nicely just like salu bhai..I will shave my moustache if England win any of odi or test series. In plain Hindi/ urdu mounch mound waa donga..
I hope to hell you don't get banned joker4life

smash84

The Tiger King
haha......this can't be for real :p

r3alist

U19 Cricketer

Well considered post.

Just one issue, I wouldn't underestimate Pakistani bowlers in English conditions, historically pak bowlers outperform England in England, and whilst pak quicks are weaker compared to ASIf/amir I see no reason why gul/cheema couldn't go toe to toe with the England bowlers in good conditions, they do have quality.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well considered post.

Just one issue, I wouldn't underestimate Pakistani bowlers in English conditions, historically pak bowlers outperform England in England, and whilst pak quicks are weaker compared to ASIf/amir I see no reason why gul/cheema couldn't go toe to toe with the England bowlers in good conditions, they do have quality.
:blink:

Gul and cheema are barely second tier

Woodster

International Captain
Well considered post.

It's not necessarily to underestimate their attack, I just don't think it would penetrate our batting line-up as much our attack would Pakistan's. I would be confident we would consistently outscore Pakistan in our conditions, just as we did a strong Indian batting team, but in the UAE I feel Pakistan can cause us one or two more problems. This is not taking Pakistan lightly by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure we'll be made to work very hard over there if we are to win.

Woodster

International Captain
I cannot also think that Gul & Cheema are the type of bowlers that could cause us the problems that Asif and Aamer did. I like Gul, but I don't think he would penetrate to a great degree our batsmen in our own conditions.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
It's not necessarily to underestimate their attack, I just don't think it would penetrate our batting line-up as much our attack would Pakistan's. I would be confident we would consistently outscore Pakistan in our conditions, just as we did a strong Indian batting team, but in the UAE I feel Pakistan can cause us one or two more problems. This is not taking Pakistan lightly by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure we'll be made to work very hard over there if we are to win.
Yes, relative batting lineups are an important consideration, in that sense what you said is totally valid.

Still think most good bowlers can exploit good conditions to a similar level.