• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

deeps

International 12th Man
Who would u put in your world TEST XI?
My World XI

1) M.Hayden
2) S.Tendulkar
3) J. Kallis
4) R.Dravid (VC)
5) S.Waugh (Capt)
6) M.Vaughan
7) A.Gilchrist (KeepER)
8) S. Pollock
9) B. Hogg
10) S.Bond
11) G.Mcgrath

Hayden: He picks himself...his record of late has been great...prolly the no1 batsman in the world...i don't think ne1 will argue with this decisino

Tendulkar: in the top 5 batsman EVER..again,picks himself. Can bowl very good leg and off spinners,as well as medium pace

Kallis: A very Solid batsman, very hard to get out... A Very good quick as well...Probnably the best all rounder in world cricket

Dravid: Another Solid batsman,who probably has the best technique and defence i've EVER seen. Great Temprament!

S.Waugh: Again, a very solid batsman...Probably in the top 10 batsman EVER again...test match avg of over 50...33 test centuries to his name...A handy medium pacer as well

Vaughan: I needed a Batsman,who could bowl fairly decent spin...Vaughan is a good batsman,and can bowl decent spin.. I coudln't think of very many others...Shoaib Malik from pakistan is an option...as is Danish Kaneira from ****..alsthouh his batting isn't quiet up there...M.Clarke..but he's not ready yet

Gilchrist: The premier w/k batsman in the world...only person coming close to him is M.Boucher

PollocK: I don't rate him very highly, and if not for his batting,i wouldn't pick him...Supposedly the best bowler in the world...I had to fit him in here somewher!

Hogg: This is gonna cause HEAPS of controversy i know! Hogg is a good bowler,no1 can pick him...and his batting is really good,plus he's a damn good fielder...And a Very good team player!!! I needed a spinner who could bat fairly well...Warnie,bt he suspended....and Vetorri would've been my other choice perhaps...

Bond: Another controversial one...But he's quick,and good...not much else to say..tries very hard 4 the team!

Mcgrath: picks himself..IMHO, the best quick int he world...big game player

Unlucky:B.Lara (2 inconsistent), R.Ponting, J.Gillespie,H.Singh,and H.Gibbs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The cricketweb forum is no stranger to controversy. lol.

But yeah, we've had this debate time & time again & generally everybody comes up with a different team.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I know at the Cricinfo forum we had this debate about 10 times over a 7 month period but what the hell , here are mine-

Test Match-
1.M.Hayden
2.M.Vaughan
3.R.Ponting
4.S.Tendulkar
5.*B.Lara
6.J.Kallis
7.+A.Gilchrist
8.S.Pollock
9.M.Muralitharan(any WXI without him is a joke)
10.C.Vaas(ouch!!:lol: )
11.G.McGrath

Just went for Vaughan over Smith for the RH/LH combo , Dravid & Steve Waugh narrowly miss out to Ponting , Kallis , Tendulkar , Hayden , Gilchrist , Pollock , Murali & McGrath all certainties while I just went for Vaas over Gillespie.

ODI-
1.S.Jayasuria
2.S.Tendulkar
3.*R.Ponting
4.J.Kallis
5.D.Lehmann
6.M.Bevan
7.A.Gilchrist
8.S.Pollock
9.B.Lee
10.M.Muralitharan
11.G.McGrath

Just went for Lehmann over Ganguly as Ganguly relies to much on boundaries , Lee gets in the ODI side over Bond , Akhtar & Gillespie.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
ODIs

1.Sachin Tendulkar
2.Gary Kirsten
3.Adam Gilchirst (w/k)
4.Jack Kallis
5.Ricky Ponting
6.Michael Bevan
7.Chris Cairns
8.Pollock
9.Shane Bond
10.Muttiah Muralitharan
11.Glen McGrath

Tests
1.Matthew Hayden
2.Jack Kallis
3.Rahul Dravid
4.Sachin Tendulkar
5.Ricky Ponting
6.Steve Waugh
7.Adam Gilchrist
8.Pollock
9.Shane Bond
10.Muralitharan
11.Glen McGrath

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Here are my teams::

ODIS
1:Sachin Tendulkar
2:Adam Gilcrist
3: Ponting
4:Bc Lara
5:Jacque kallis
6:Michael Bevan
7:Abdur Razzaq
8:Shoaib Akhtar
9:shane Bond
10:Muttiah Muralitharan
11:Glenn Mcgrath

Tests:
1: Matthew Hayden
2:Sachin Tendulkar
3:Jacques Kallis
4:Brian Lara
5:Rahul Dravid
6:Steve Waugh
7:Adam Gilcrist
8:Shaun Pollock
9:Shoaib Akhtar
10:Muttiah Muralitharan
11:Glenn Mcgrath

hourn

U19 Cricketer
I'm gonna exclude Australian players, and pick a test team to play Australia.

first man picked would be Shoaib Akhtar. followed by Vaughan, Tendulkar, Singh, Murali and Lara.

The other five spots are fairly difficult to pick, but Pollock picks himself, although he never seems to give Australia that many problems. He is just pure class. Same story goes for Kallis.

So we've gotta pick an opener, middle order batsmen and a keeper.

Dravid will be the middle order batsmen, and i'll pick Gibbs as the opener and Sangakarra as keeper.

Team v Australia:
Michael Vaughan
Herschelle Gibbs
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Jacques Kallis
Kumar Sangakarra
Sean Pollock
Shoaib Akhtar
Harbhajan Singh
Muttiah Muralitharan
Sean Bond (12th man)

On paper, that team would beat the Aussies, but teamwork and the aura around the Aussies, and giving Australia home ground advantage would turn it into a great game. I reckon someone should get a hold of the idea and set it up, but it would be (nearly) impossible.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
These things are always worth doing once in a while. The various lists are sure to change. So what if it's been "done to death".

1. Haydyn
2. Vaughn
3. Ponting
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Dravid
7. Gilchrist
8. Pollock
9. Lee
10 Murali
11. Mcgrath

Kallis seems to be going downhill with his bowling. He doesn't seem to want to bowl. He's a good batter, just not int he class of Ponting, Lara etc.

Graeme Smith is OK ... but he's not in the class of Haydyn, Vaughn, Langer etc. Perhaps the only batsman in world cricket to have been fortunate enough to have been served up back to back double tons worth of leg stump half volleys and long hops. Serious technical flaws outside off stump.

Pollock and McGrath are bit samey. Still, you can't argue with those numbers!! Lee's in there as something different ... raw pace.

Murali ... best spinner in the world.

PY

International Coach
Was tempted to bring up every World XI thread we've ever had but thought it would fill the entire screen and **** everyone off

:D

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
well, ive wd to make this thread more interesting by making it a world xi of ALL TIME BUT you ve HAD to pick only your fave players insted of who you think is best. Basically who you love watching play...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
hourn said:
On paper, that team would beat the Aussies, but teamwork and the aura around the Aussies, and giving Australia home ground advantage would turn it into a great game. I reckon someone should get a hold of the idea and set it up, but it would be (nearly) impossible.
You missed the ICC announcement a few weeks back, didn't you?

It's in the pipeline!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
gibbsnsmith said:
well, ive wd to make this thread more interesting by making it a world xi of ALL TIME BUT you ve HAD to pick only your fave players insted of who you think is best. Basically who you love watching play...
Adam Gilchrist
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Gary Kirsten (hey, I need some balance!)
Virender Sehwag
Shahid Afridi
Ajit Agarkar
+Jack Russell
Muttiah Muralitharan
Stephen Harmison
*Neil Pickup

Opening bowlers: Agarkar/Harmison, with an enviable spin pairing of myself and Murali. Tendulkar, Sehwag and Afridi share the other ten overs.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
TEST XI
Saeed Anwar/Mark Waugh
Hershuelle Gibbs
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Aravinda De Silva
Adam Gilchrist
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Muttaih Muralitharan
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald

this is my alltime faves team and those are the players i love running in to bowl or staying at the crease,.

Frankly, that team is just bloody magnificent :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The team I'd like to see:

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Taufeeq Umar
*3. Mark Boucher
4. Brian Lara
5. Zeeshan Ali
6. Shaun Pollock
7. Clarke, AUS (not Rikki :P)
8. Brett Lee
9. Glen McGrath
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Opening bowlers: Zeeshan and McGrath. Harbhajan, Lee, Muralitharan, Pollock come in when needed.

Last edited:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Well this is the team I'd like to see, and the game I'd like to see:

1. Michael Slater
2. Alec Stewart
3. Robin Smith
4. Darly Cullinan
5. Mike Gatting
6. Ed Smith
7. Steve Rhodes
8. Courtney Walsh
9. Glenn McGrath
10. Phill Tufnell
11. Devon Malcolm

Oh yeah and the opposition team:

1. Anyone
2. Anyone
3. Anyone
4. Anyone
5. Anyone
6. Anyone
7. Anyone
8.WARNE, S.
9. Anyone
10. Anyone
11. Anyone

:D How I would laugh :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
The team I'd like to see:

1. Matthew Hayden
2. Taufeeq Umar
*3. Mark Boucher
4. Brian Lara
5. Clarke, AUS (not Rikki :P
6. Shaun Pollock
7. Zeeshan Ali
8. Brett Lee
9. Glen McGrath
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Opening bowlers: Zeeshan and McGrath. Harbhajan, Lee, Muralitharan, Pollock come in when needed.
Looong tail. Who's Zeeshan Ali?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Got you there, didn't I?

Zeeshan's a Norwegian (OK, Pakistani, but he plays for Norway) allrounder - told you it was the team I wanted to see, not that it's likely to happen. Pretty good stats - 2 centuries, 16 wickets and 4 catches in 6 games (don't have any more cos ECC refuse to put the scorecards out :!( ) - and I know it's against poor teams, but I'd still like to see him try out, to get out for a duck :) Actually, I'd like to switch him and Clarke around, because he's more of a batting allrounder.

And hey, who needs batsmen when the bowlers do the job ;)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Norway are a bit of a one-man team then?
By the same logic, any team with a great allrounder (SA with Pollock for example) is a one-man team :)

Well, I suppose you could say that - but we've got some other good batsmen and bowlers, Shamoon Chaudry got 6-36 against the hosts and Shahid Malik hit a 67 and an 81. Keepers I don't know for sure, again cos of lack of scorecards...at least I'll get stats when they travel to Belgium next year for the Euro Ch'ship

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Test XI

Matt Hayden
Herschelle Gibbs
Ricky Ponting
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Shaun Pollock
Jason Gillespie