• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
test:

Hayden
Gibbs
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Pollock
Gillespie
Murali
McGrath

ODI:
Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Symonds
Lee
Shoaib
Murali
McGrath

probably Ponting as captain, Symonds in the ODI team for hitting and fielding, maybe a little bowling depening on how kallis was going. Lee and Akhtar is one hell of an attack in terms of strike rates with McGrath and Murali both having the ability to take wickets and keep the runs down.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
By the same logic, any team with a great allrounder (SA with Pollock for example) is a one-man team :)
Not when they have Kallis there, they're not!

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Neil Pickup said:
You missed the ICC announcement a few weeks back, didn't you?

It's in the pipeline!

really!!!

that would be awesome.

do you have a link anywhere, I'd love to have a read, and what are the chance of the ICC managing to get the best or close to the best Rest of the World team, rather than just the best 11 who were happy to play.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hourn said:
what are the chance of the ICC managing to get the best or close to the best Rest of the World team, rather than just the best 11 who were happy to play.
Not very good I expect.

In response to Deeps first post, I love the fact he can contemplate MJ Clarke who is yet to play a Test match. Very brave but you're asking for trouble from most of the people in here :P

Testament to a great player.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure Clarke will become a great test batsmen, but to put him in the World 11 for tests when he hasn't played one is a big dis-respect to other international players.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How is it testament to Clarke being great that he was blindly named in a Test World XI??
More saliently, how can they call Clarke a Test great when he hasn't played a Test?

I think what they mean is that he's a 'potential' great, which in terms of talking great players, means SFA. This Mike Clarke fanboy stuff is getting nauseating.

deeps

International 12th Man
I didn't put clarke in the team,because he is yet to prove himself... What i meant is that after about 10-20 test matches,he will prove himself,and he would slot in nicely...

I was looking for a Batsman who could ball fairly good spin... The only person i could think off was Michael Vaughan, and Michael Clarke... I strongly believe Clarke WILL become a much better batsman than Vaughan..

that's wat i meant...Just wait tll he gets 20 test matches under his belt,he will b a nice fit in the World XI

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
More saliently, how can they call Clarke a Test great when he hasn't played a Test?

i have to agree there - this isn't about potential, its about Now, Clarke is good, but there are still plenty of better players out there - i mean you can fill the middle order with players like Lara and Tendulkar, some of the best players ever, while clarke may be that good at some stage *hopes* he isn't yet.

Give Deeps a break. It's one thing to sit on the fence, and people so often chastise me for what I say on other people's opinions here. It's very courageous for someone to put forward a prediction like that and I think it's very justified.

Although given Clarke's introduction to international cricket, his introduction to a World XI probably wouldn't be all that shoddy lol! :D

Eclipse

International Debutant
Test Team:

Hayden
Vaughan
Ponting
Lara
S Waugh (c)
Kallis (wk)
Gilchrist
Pollock
Gillespie
Murili
McGrath

ODI Team:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist (wk)
Ponting (c)
Lara
Martyn
Beven
Pollock
Lee
Gillespie
Muril
McGrath

The easy to pick for me are Ponting, Lara, McGrath, and Gilly the others were quite hard.

One of the hard ones was leaving out Tendulkar form the test team but his recent form in test cricket has been really poor but I would expect him to be back in that teast X1 in the nest 6 monthes.

And I also cant beleve how somone could pu clark in the test team thats just crazy.

PY

International Coach
deeps said:
I strongly believe Clarke WILL become a much better batsman than Vaughan..
:O The worshipping has gone to far.........:rolleyes:

How in the name of SRT can you say that when he hasn't played a Test yet? Michael Vaughan was number one in the world at one point, in the little I've seen Clarke he hasn't suggested to me that he will become a number one batsman, good.....yes great......not yet

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Eclipse said:
And I also cant beleve how somone could pu clark in the test team thats just crazy.
Yeah , c'mon people , he's a very talented young batsman & chances are if he fulfils his potential he will one day be WXI standard , but he hasnt even played a test yet.

the MJC fan club is getting a bit over the top.

deeps

International 12th Man
ok,this has been blown out of proportion enough! this is wat i said...word for word...it CLEARLY states that he is NOT ready YET!!! Basically meaning that He is a PREDICTION to be there soon...NOT YET!!! read it!! and whichever total idiot seemed 2 think that i was putting him in my world XI, u totaly suck...go get some reading/english lessonS!

Vaughan: I needed a Batsman,who could bowl fairly decent spin...Vaughan is a good batsman,and can bowl decent spin.. I coudln't think of very many others...Shoaib Malik from pakistan is an option...as is Danish Kaneira from ****..alsthouh his batting isn't quiet up there...M.Clarke..but he's not ready yet

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
My Dream Series (Lords,Sydney,Jamaica,Johannesburg,Dehli)

All time Dream Team

1.G.Grenidge
2.G.Boycott
3.D.Bradman
4.C.Lloyd(cptn)
5.Viv Richards
6.A.Knott9wk
7.I.Botham
8.I.Khan
9.B.Bedi
10.M.Marshall
11.J.Laker