• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An effort to pick an All-time ODI XI

L Trumper

State Regular
You can make a case now due to his performance in the World Cup Final. If he had of failed like he did for the majority of the tournament and the previous World Cup, I wouldn't put Dhoni in the absolute top tier at all. It's why I don't rate Hussey as highly as others do.
Yeah! Hard to rate someone with piss poor record in WC. But delivered when it mattered the most.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ftr, If I was playing a Mars XI or the second best ODI XI or just a very hard team in general, I'd have a different team to what I'd play against Bangers.

AT ODI XI

S Tendulkar
M Waugh
V Richards
Z Abbas
M Bevan
MS Dhoni (wk)
S Pollock
W Akram
S Warne
J Garner
G McGrath

I rate Mark as a considerably better opener to Gilchrist, The remaining four of the top five pick themselves with some consideration to Ponting. Dhoni satisfies three roles, finisher and keeper.

In an AT LO XI, I don't want even one non-ATG bowler touching the ball, Therefore I don't even consider Dev or Klusener for extra fire power. S Pollock in for being the greatest ODI cricketer of all time. W Akram ahead of Waqar, Ambrose and Donald because he can bat. Warne ahead of Murali and Saqlain for the same reason. Garner and McG because batting depth is pretty irrelevant at this level in an ODI XI.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Trescothick might have made it with his style of play if he didn't retire. Small chance but was a possibility. Flintoff could have probably made it as a bowler if he played about a 100 more games.

Jager

International Debutant
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Richards
Ponting*
De Villiers
Bevan
Gilchrist+
Akram
McGrath
Garner
Muralitharan

I originally had Anwar opening and Tendulkar at 4, but I decided that fielding is so important in ODI's that I needed to strengthen the side's capabilities in the field (hence AB). Ponting has proven himself capable of leading a winning side. It's hard to leave out the bowlers I chose despite their less than amazing record in the field and the batting is overall extremely destructive.