• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A bowling lineup of part time bowlers.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Just aren't that many left arm pacers in general, relatively speaking.

Can only think of Brendan Nash in recent years. A quick Cricinfo search also digs up Graham Yallop, Neil Fairbrother, Bill Lawry and Lawrence Rowe.
Yap,there are very few left hand medium pacers to pick from as compared to right arm medium pacers, and I wanted a left arm medium pacer instead of Bopara to create more variety.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mudassar Nazar was a touch more than a part-timer wasn't he? Didn't he open on ocassions?
I don't think so - I tried to pick batsmen who had had one memorable performance with the ball and I vividly remember Mudassar in 1982 cutting a swathe through England's batting and ending up with 5 or 6 for not many (6-32) - I dont think he ever came close to repeating the feat and I'm sure he averaged less than one wicket per Test (he did 66/76)

On the other hand Asif did start as an all rounder, and I think he may have opened the bowling on occasion (he did at the beginning of his career a number of times) - like Mudassar he could swing the ball a long way, but was strictly medium

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Batsman who get a regular bowl as a medium pacer (right or left) are rare. Easier to take wickets with leg-breaks or contain the run rate with flat off-breaks than bowl medium pace at 110 kmh with much effectiveness

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Astle and Styris haven't had mentions yet. I don't know whether that's because people considered them Test allrounders or because people didn't rate their bowling but they'd be right up there in terms of part-timers I've seen throughout my lifetime. Sehwag is a lock for my side though; someone I earnestly think should've bowled a lot more.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
After re-reading the thread, both have them have been mentioned (Astle multiple times). Zinzan even mentioned them in the same post. I'm going to go over there now.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Astle and Styris haven't had mentions yet. I don't know whether that's because people considered them Test allrounders or because people didn't rate their bowling but they'd be right up there in terms of part-timers I've seen throughout my lifetime. Sehwag is a lock for my side though; someone I earnestly think should've bowled a lot more.
Styris is an allrounder and has contributed much more with the ball, I don't think its right to call him or even Jayasuriya as a part time bowler.
and you are right about Astle, was a fantastic part timer.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Ken Mackay

Doug Walters

Frank Worrell

Tom Graveney

Basil D'Olivera

And now most of you are heading for the stats because ther is a few there you have not heard of.
No need for that, sir. Just about everyone here will know (or know of) just about all of those players.