• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature: Batting Medians

chasingthedon

International Regular
Largely fair comments above - especially that it's more a measure of reliability than ability. I had intended originally to make the feature a kind of consistency index with the median being combined with the skew, but as I mentioned the skew is unfair on those with bigger innings and, therefore, unfair to the best batsmen.

And yes, no one will ever adopt this. Thought it was interesting though.

At best another partial success.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's just occurred to me that batting medians would actually be of tremendous use in gambling (in the cases where you're betting over/under a certain amount a batsman will score when he comes in to bat). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find that bookmakers use data like this to set the lines in the first place.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's just occurred to me that batting medians would actually be of tremendous use in gambling (in the cases where you're betting over/under a certain amount a batsman will score when he comes in to bat). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find that bookmakers use data like this to set the lines in the first place.
Yeah absolutely...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Why not calculate standard deviation if you want to assess the impact of outliers?
STD only useful when the distribution is near Gaussian. Otherwise it's a percentile that has to be used in a highly skewed distribution like this.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
STD only useful when the distribution is near Gaussian. Otherwise it's a percentile that has to be used in a highly skewed distribution like this.
Even if batting scores follow a lognormal distribution (not sure if they do - but lognormal should be closer to it than normal for sure), we can always arrive at the %ile figures given average and stdev.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Even if batting scores follow a lognormal distribution (not sure if they do - but lognormal should be closer to it than normal for sure), we can always arrive at the %ile figures given average and stdev.
True, point taken from statistician viewpoint. But I am not sure how a lay person would understand mean log batting average and standard deviation of log batting scores.

ganeshran

International Debutant
How to calculate percentile given his scores? What is the formula?