Thread: Arthur gets the Aussie Head Coach job

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar

Arthur gets the Aussie Head Coach job

Couldn't see a thread for this though it's being discussed in a couple of others.

Mickey Arthur gets the gig ahead of the other candidates such as Justin Langer, Steve Rixon and Tom Moody. Interesting choice with Australia going for an overseas coach, a good move ?

Australia news: Mickey Arthur chosen as Australia's coach | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Mickey Arthur appointed first foreign head coach of Australia | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Cookies must be enabled | The Australian
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    I'd set fire to something if Langer got the job ahead of Mickey.

In that regard, I am pleased with this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Mickey Arthur? Didn't he have a bad tenure with either Eng or SA???
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Mickey Arthur? Didn't he have a bad tenure with either Eng or SA???
    Arthur was in charge of South Africa from 2005-10 and did a very decent job. Highlights included vital series victories in both England and Australia. He left SA when differences between himself and CSA proved irreperabale, although there was also speculation his relationship with Graeme Smith had also broken down, but this was denied.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Looks like Aussies will be seeing a lot more of Mitchell Johnson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    His appointment will certainly make Australia a lot less likeable as a team, if nothing else.

Might be my memory, but was there a little bad blood between him and the home camp on the saffers' last but one tour down under?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Can the media please not overstate his record against Australia when in charge of SA.

I think he got swept 6-0 in 2005/2006

Granted he did oversee a 2-1 victory in 2008, but that was against one of the weaker Australian teams in the last decade, featuring the likes of MacDonald, Krejza, a greenhorn Siddle for all three Tests, and post Langer, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne etc.

Then, in the return series, Arthur oversaw a series defeat against a mighty attack of Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

So yeah, I'm not saying the guy can't coach, but one of the reasons sighted on here and other places regarding his abilities is his record against Australia, and that he masterminded our downfall. I just think that's a bit overstated.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Can the media please not overstate his record against Australia when in charge of SA.

Granted he did oversee a 2-1 victory in 2008, but that was against one of the weaker Australian teams in the last decade, featuring the likes of MacDonald, Krejza, a greenhorn Siddle for all three Tests, and post Langer, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne etc.

Then, in the return series, Arthur oversaw a series defeat against a mighty attack of Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

So yeah, I'm not saying the guy can't coach, but one of the reasons sighted on here and other places regarding his abilities is his record against Australia, and that he masterminded our downfall. I just think that's a bit overstated.
    Hilditch masterminded our downfall. Maybe we should make him coach.

Disappointed Langer didn't get the job, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post

Swept 5-0, and to be fair they were in a very good position to win in Sydney, but rain forced an early declaration upon them to go for the win to tie the series.

Also, McDonald was playing when we won in Sydney, not the other two Tests. McDonald, career record of 3-1.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 23-11-2011 at 04:09 AM.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    MACCA!!!!!! If only we had the balls to play him in the 09 Ashes.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    Hilditch masterminded our downfall. Maybe we should make him coach.
    Nah get him to coach the other nine sides part-time. It'll be about a full days worth of effort for him.

Thread Information