• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arthur gets the Aussie Head Coach job

Woodster

International Captain

Jayzamann

International Regular
I'd set fire to something if Langer got the job ahead of Mickey.

In that regard, I am pleased with this.

Woodster

International Captain
Mickey Arthur? Didn't he have a bad tenure with either Eng or SA???
Arthur was in charge of South Africa from 2005-10 and did a very decent job. Highlights included vital series victories in both England and Australia. He left SA when differences between himself and CSA proved irreperabale, although there was also speculation his relationship with Graeme Smith had also broken down, but this was denied.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His appointment will certainly make Australia a lot less likeable as a team, if nothing else.

Might be my memory, but was there a little bad blood between him and the home camp on the saffers' last but one tour down under?

howardj

International Coach
Can the media please not overstate his record against Australia when in charge of SA.

I think he got swept 6-0 in 2005/2006

Granted he did oversee a 2-1 victory in 2008, but that was against one of the weaker Australian teams in the last decade, featuring the likes of MacDonald, Krejza, a greenhorn Siddle for all three Tests, and post Langer, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne etc.

Then, in the return series, Arthur oversaw a series defeat against a mighty attack of Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

So yeah, I'm not saying the guy can't coach, but one of the reasons sighted on here and other places regarding his abilities is his record against Australia, and that he masterminded our downfall. I just think that's a bit overstated.

adub

International Captain
Can the media please not overstate his record against Australia when in charge of SA.

Granted he did oversee a 2-1 victory in 2008, but that was against one of the weaker Australian teams in the last decade, featuring the likes of MacDonald, Krejza, a greenhorn Siddle for all three Tests, and post Langer, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne etc.

Then, in the return series, Arthur oversaw a series defeat against a mighty attack of Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

So yeah, I'm not saying the guy can't coach, but one of the reasons sighted on here and other places regarding his abilities is his record against Australia, and that he masterminded our downfall. I just think that's a bit overstated.
Hilditch masterminded our downfall. Maybe we should make him coach.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Swept 5-0, and to be fair they were in a very good position to win in Sydney, but rain forced an early declaration upon them to go for the win to tie the series.

Also, McDonald was playing when we won in Sydney, not the other two Tests. McDonald, career record of 3-1.

Last edited: