• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard Sherlock

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I noticed a match report of the NZ Academy against Central Districts..Richard Sherlock took 9 wickets in the match & bowled quicker than Bond at times (admittedly Bond is still not 100%)
The pitch was also a green-seamer, but it was good to see Jesse Ryder make some good scores on a tough batting pitch.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be quite funny if NZ had their opening bowlers as Bond & Sherlock..two famous characters.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I told ya's sherlo was bowlin well.

I saw him on Saturday, with the other academy boys and they thought he would do well if he could adjust the length of his bowling which was too short from doing so much indoors.

Richard Sherlock at his fastest is faster than bond at his fastest anyway, and this guy is only 19( I think).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
How big is Sherlock? I saw him on tv when Sportscafe went to the Academy & he didn't look like he was massive.

But it sounds good...the sooner we can get rid of the sh*t in the NZ team the quicker we can get these other guys in.

Andre

International Regular
Well, I just think he needs a full season of first-class cricket under his belt before he can be selected for New Zealand.

From what I've heard from you guys, he's a great talent, but I'd like to see him really make a name for himself at domestic level first.

Even though Butler is coming good now, you don't want a mistake like that again.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah agreed mate...NZ probably made 2 mistakes with McCullum & Butler although they are starting to develop quite nicely.

I don't see a place for Sherlock anyway at this stage even if he takes a mountain of wickets in his 1st season.
Tuffey & Bond are permanent fixtures now & Butler looks as though he's starting to improve.

Jesse Ryder could be an outside tip for the South African ODI's in Feb/March if he does well for C.D.

Andre

International Regular
Your probably right with Ryder. Nevin, Harris and possibly Vincent seem on borrowed time in the ODI squad, and it seems crucial that NZ sooner or later blood a really talented young batsman.

I mean no real young batting star has emerged and been given a solid go since McMillan from what I remember (correct me if I am wrong).

So, in that sense, it seems important they blood someone - give Ryder a go at the end of the summer so he's going into WC2007 with 50 or so ODI's under his belt and the ability to dominate.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McCullum was the last one, and he really got into the NZ team because of his fantastic batting during his days at U19 level. McCullum played his first ODI 2 years ago in the VB Series so its been a long time between drinks for the next batsman to come through.

Rob Nicol MIGHT be the next, but thats an if...I think Nicol & Ryder will be going head to head for the next promotion into the NZ team...but I think they need to wait until at least the South African series. The Pakistan Series is too early & they need a decent amount of FC & OD behind them still.

Having seen a number of the U19 batsmen NZ have got..Nevin, Vincent, Harris etc will not last long.

Not forgetting that NZ have that new 'A' series coming up, there could be a few battles for selection in that team.

Andre

International Regular
Yeah I thought you might say McCullum, but he never really got a solid go as an opening batsman.

I mean whoever the selectors plump for they have to show faith in them - don't just discard them after 6 or 7 ODI's which really gives no reading into someones international future.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have a feeling NZ may open with McCullum in the next ODI against India. Nevin is doing absolutely bugger all & his confidence must be shot by now.

If McCullum does transform himself into a successful attacking batsmen NZ should open with him & let him have a free license because it looks like he can play quite a few shots.

The thing is that we're not like Australia where we can wait to bring the younger guys in..our current crop of ODI players especially have very poor averages & NZ need to start thinking about the WC 2007.
Harris has been out of form for 2 years, do you think he'll last another 4 years? I don't think so...unfortunately for Harry I think his time is up & he deserves a pat on the back for his service to NZ Cricket.

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yeah well Nevin doesn't seem able to play anything off the front foot. Wasn't his favourite shot the old uppercut, playin the ball over slips... he is just too easily worked out.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
How big is Sherlock? I saw him on tv when Sportscafe went to the Academy & he didn't look like he was massive.
You are correct there. He is not very big at all. And he certainly isn't what you would call solid either.. I love his hair though. Looks a bit like a mop at the moment.

------------------------------------------

I think if Ryder scores a few runs in the Academy series he will not only be around for the SA series but the Pakistan(I think) series in December and Janurary. I think the selectors would have been tempted to bring him in for this tour but are thinking that 18/19 is far too young when he had less than a year domestic cricket under his belt.

I will be disappointed if McCullam opens in this next match. He is just finding his feet down the middle/lower order, and he is batting well there. Why change it. That is just mucking him around when he is contributing well enough where he is.

I do agree that nevin needs the kick though. It is clear that he is not good enough for international cricket. I don't think he ever will be either. The teams worked him out very easily.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the selectors have a huge part to play in the mess of Nevin & also Sinclair.

Nevin didn't play against India in the ODI's instead it was Sinclair...Sinclair goes to the W.C & doesn't get a single bat. Sinclair is then dropped for the Sri Lanka ODI's, Nevin performs averagely..Nevin is then dropped from the India ODI squad but then emerges after Astle pulls out & his scores so far in this series have been well documented.

What the hell is going on there?

Kimbo

International Debutant
I don't think players should be left out just because of age. If you're good enough you're good enough. Look at Sachin, playing for India at 16.

I thought McCullum made a good lower order player- innovative play from him.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think it could make some players, playing for their country at that age, but it also could break them.

Ever since I saw Ryder bat at the under 19 world cup I thought he was the next big thing in NZ cricket. I still think he it, and from talking to him, he has the right attitude to make it as one of the greats.

I think NZ are trying to bring him in slowly, just like Aus and Michael Clark. I think Him, McIntosh are the next to come in.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
McIntosh won't come in just yet because Vincent saved his backside by getting that century against India in the 2nd test.

I reckon McIntosh will play against South Africa because most likely Vincent will be back to his usual habits against Pakistan.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
If McIntosh scores runs nothing will stop him coming into the side. I am someone that rates Vincent very highly, but I think he needs to go away and open for auckland for a while first.

Think of a test team.

McIntosh
Richardson
Fleming
Astle
McMillian
Cairns
----------

That on form would not be a bad batting order to have. I would like to see McCullam in for test matches as well though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't have a problem with the test team, we're doing pretty good in that form of the game..but ODI's concern me alot.

Look at our batting averages..they're poor. the bowling averages aren't too bad though so at least that is something.

Cairns looks as though he's going to be able to continue as an all-rounder which is great news, although he's under quite a bit of pressure from Oram.