• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thigh injury ends Martin Crowe's comeback

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's best for his own health I guess. If he pushes himself too hard it could affect him badly when he's older.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An admirable effort none-the-less. Gave it crack but unsurprisingly by his own concession had his body fall shy of the mark.

From a purely selfish (cricketing POV) I'd like to see him contributing to NZ Cricket in some capacity, preferably within close proximity to our Test batsmen.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Ah darn, was hoping it would turn out well. Better to have made the effort & failed than never to have tried & always wondering what if.

Athlai

Not Terrible
An admirable effort none-the-less. Gave it crack but unsurprisingly by his own concession had his body fall shy of the mark.

From a purely selfish (cricketing POV) I'd like to see him contributing to NZ Cricket in some capacity, preferably within close proximity to our Test batsmen.
Pouring some of his new energy into improving Auckland's club structure would even be pretty gun IMO. Obviously helping out the Test bats would be ideal.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Steve to defy all predictions and actually say I think it's a shame.

Obviously in that other thread I was critical of some of the things he's done and how he went about it, and I stand by those. It seems like it was actually him that logged on here for a short period (and I apologise for what conspired in me doubting the legitimacy of it) and he actually took on that criticism very well, which vindicates what I said and also he deserves a lot of credit for coming on here and doing so.

At the end of the day he worked very hard to get fit and get ready to bat again, and it's a shame he, and we, didn't see whether he was going to make a success of it. I know our premier side was very excited about playing him in 2 weeks time and it's disappointing for them too.

I hope he got a kick out of it, I hope his club team-mates did, I hope the public did. I also hope he might keep in contact with his club, follow their progress and maybe continue to be an influence on those young players.

Of course I also hope Cornwall continues to go trophy-less.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...has-mid-life-crisis-may-well-pull-off-17.html Locked - for good reason.

Got no reason to believe he would check back in and read this but if he did, for what it's worth, I'd say I hope to see him continue to give back to the game. As someone involved in club cricket it needs to break out of a rut and his ability to think outside the square would be ideal. We have well intentioned people running it but they are hardly visionaries, more content to go with the status quo. I know Martin doesn't have a lot of time with job etc but even a small part of his time.

Plus apologies for the majority of our media being god awful. Needs to go back on Twitter and bypass them

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What, we drove Martin Crowe away? :wallbash: That's worthy of a few bans :@ We like each others' silly arm-chair opinions better than having a legend who played at the highest level? So disappointing. :( Can we do something to have him back.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a shame - I suspect that I'd better shelve my own plans for a return to club cricket, not that (quite properly) anyone will care about that

A thousand pities the laws don't accomodate him batting with a permanent runner as I dare say, certainly at the level he was aiming at, that his batting was as easy on the eye as ever

Flem274*

123/5
It's a shame. As I said way back when he first announced the comeback (after I called it a mid life crisis:ph34r:), he had some testicular fortitude to aim to face up to the likes of Tim Southee and Adam Milne after being retired for so long and approaching his fiftieth birthday.

I reckon he has a lot he can contribute to cricket still, and I hope he finds some fulfillment down another cricketing path.

It was an awesome story while it lasted, and speculating on how far he could make it was fun.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to clarify that the first part of my post questioning his authenticity (based on beer and wine drinking) was not intended to be serious. And his knowledge around the trotter was bang on as only he (and harness racing fans who had read The Crowe Style) would know such details, so I was more than satisfied with his answers. Not that he had to justify himself to me...

Anyway, it's a bugger that he can't kick on with it. At least it drew some attention to lower level cricket for a bit.