• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve WaugH

deeps

International 12th Man
i was just wondering wat every1 elses opinion on him was... Were the selectors justified in dropping him from the ODI team... Should he be kept in the Test Team? Can he come back into the ODI team? as well as any other points you would like to make on him as a player or as a persON!

personally,he is my favourite player in world cricket! he's an absolute champ,and should never have been dropped from the ODI team...but that's just my opinoin..wats ures?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Still making the runs in Test cricket so should play. I don't think he's got a place in the ODI team, and Ponting wouldn't really enjoy having a former captain with a record like his coming over and giving advice...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sooner or later it has to be time to say cheerio.

Australia are a side whose average age is getting on a bit (OK, not quite ready for the bus passes but getting there). Handing the reins over to the capable hands of Ricky Ponting for the one-dayers with Steve Waugh still available for the tests to 'groom his successor' was a good idea, IMO.

After all, they've hardly missed him.

deeps

International 12th Man
wats rong wif his record? it's great! ponting would have the best support staff ever!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
wats rong wif his record? it's great! ponting would have the best support staff ever!
There's nothing wrong with his record at all - it's just time to let go. Would you have the whole team grow old together then have to replace 5 or 6 at the same time?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
Nothing is wrong with his record, but Ponting has created a new look Aussie ODI squad and it seems to be working. There is no place or need for Waugh. Ponting is busy writing his own legacy.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Yeah, Steve could have led Australia for a bit longer. But i guess they didn't need him any longer either as captain or as a middle order batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One vital thing no-one seems to have pointed-out is that 42-year-olds don't usually play World Cups.
For me, as long as someone's scoring runs they can't be dropped. Beyond a question Stephen Waugh must keep his Test place as long as he wants it and as long as he's meriting it.
If you've got enough good players coming through, having 4 or 5 of them into the team virtually at the same time won't matter. If you haven't got enough good replacements it doesn't matter whether you stagger the arrivals - you still won't make a substandard player into a good one.
Incidentally, who would be dropped from Australia's one-day squad ATM?
Don't rate any of Harvey, Williams, Bracken, Lee, Kasprowicz, Bichel, Hogg or Symonds at ODI level but you can't argue with their recent figures (Kasprowicz excepted because he doesn't have any). All merit their places in the squad.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I think it was excellent that Steve Waugh went from the ODI team. Ponting has done well anyway, and Australia has still been winning, so who really cares?:P

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:

Don't rate any of Harvey, Williams, Bracken, Lee, Kasprowicz, Bichel, Hogg or Symonds at ODI level
hahaha

harvey should be dropped, his bowling is not enough to merit a place alone and his batting is awfu;

Williams is doing well, i dont rate him much, he really doesn't have much of a record domestically especially in 4 dayers, he was lucky to get picked for the test match, i doubt he will ever get a spot again, unless we have another epidemic, Noffke and Inness are much better bowlers.

Bracken is a brilliant OD bowler, not so great in teh longer version but still getting better.

Lee - 137 ODI wickets @21 strike rate of 27.4 speaks for itself.

Bichel - proven match winner on his day with both bat and ball, probably a better 4/5d bowler than OD but still very solid.

Hogg - no one seems to be able to pick his wrong'un, can bat beter than he has shown thus far, his psoition is under threat from a huge group of part timers like Clarke, Katich and Symonds and other all rounders like watson, White who are both younger too

Symonds - his batting has improved so much since the world cup started, his proformances since than speak for themsleves

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hahaha with symonds, maybe your just annoyed baout the one that got away

Born: 9 June 1975, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
Bichel - proven match winner on his day with both bat and ball, probably a better 4/5d bowler than OD but still very solid.
With Ball is stretching it more than a little.
With Bat confirms the general perception of you.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
his batting has won a few domestic games as well as helped wiun a few key ODI's or maybe you dont remember the world cup cause Australia won it....

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_...DS/POOL-A/AUS_ENG_WC2003_ODI37_02MAR2003.html

or a VB cup final bowling performance, also against England

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_...RECARDS/AUS_ENG_VBS_ODI-FINAL1_23JAN2003.html

and with the bat against NZ in the WC

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_...PSIX/AUS_NZ_WC2003_ODI-SUPSIX5_11MAR2003.html

and against RSA

http://statserver.cricket.org/link_...BS/SCORECARDS/AUS_RSA_VBS_ODI7_22JAN2002.html

perhaps you should take the chip off your shoulder just because Australia is the best team in teh world atm, dont worry, im sure england will once again become good one day (though not for a few years yet)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Hogg - no one seems to be able to pick his wrong'un, can bat beter than he has shown thus far, his psoition is under threat from a huge group of part timers like Clarke, Katich and Symonds and other all rounders like watson, White who are both younger too
Doubt it. He's taken up the spinner's role in the ODI side and doesn't look like he wants to give it back. He's not picked as an all-rounder, he's picked for his bowling so his batting comes as a bonus. The only player I would think that comes close to being competition for him other than Warne when he returns is Hauritz, but I haven't heard much about him for a while.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
very true, i doubt he will actiually get dropped before Warnes return however, when you consider his performances of late, and take into account that we have 2 or 3 part time spinners going around, and that our pace attack will soon be at full strength we may play 4 quicks and 2 part time spinners more

Craig

World Traveller
Steve Waugh being dropped allowed the team to move on, and is the reason for Waugh'a run of form.

Seen Bichel bowl in the TVS Cup Age_Master? He has been awful. Bracken and Williams both have technical flaws in their actions that need to be fixed.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bracken and Williams both have technical flaws in their actions that need to be fixed.
Such as?

Either way, they've been far and away the best two bowlers on any of the sides so they just might be doing something right.

Craig

World Traveller
Bracken and Williams both fall away when they deliever the ball and they bowl too many wides, so there control at times goes to pot.

Funny how you havent noticed this.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bracken and Williams both fall away when they deliever the ball and they bowl too many wides, so there control at times goes to pot.

Funny how you havent noticed this.
1) They lean, not fall away in general.

2) They only genuinely fall away when well into a spell. Both of them generally bowl tidy early spells but fall away a bit when they get tired. In those hot conditions, I challenge anyone to maintain their actions and their accuracy for the whole day.

I don't think its as simple as to say that they fall away and that it's a consistent fault. As I said, their early spells are quite accurate, suggesting that fatigue is the cause. I mean, in yesterday's game, two of Williams' wickets were LBW and one bowled. He threw in a few wides too but I'd suggest that heat gets to you sometimes. Bichel also suffered and Bracken didn't have a great deal of 'zip' when he bowled, suggesting that fatigue (again) is getting to the Aussie bowlers. They've played quite a bit of cricket in tough conditions with little time to acclimatise. So they're going to bowl wides a little more often than in Australia.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mind you Bracken & Williams have had fairly good bowling conditions both times against NZ and thats not their fault anyway because the 1st time NZ stuffed up & the 2nd time Ponting won the toss, so they have just used the conditions that are on offer.