• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - where to from here

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Considering the cattle with which he had to work, Rixon's record with NZ was better than Arthur's with South Africa. Plus, Rixon has been involved in the last two successful Test tours (to SL and SA) and has a great relationship with Michael Clarke who, given his magnificent start in his new role, deserves to have a big say in this appointment.
Was Rixon over there the whole time? Thought I heard him being interviewed for a newspaper from back in Sydney.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
like with soccer I have absolutely no problem with it, as the standard of coaching overseas dwarfs anything served up by most aussie coaches - no problem with that at all, as the chasm is so wide.

but with cricket, don't CA tell me that arthur is so far ahead of other candidates like Rixon that we have to go with him.

It's a question of degree. To my mind, when it's neck and neck, what's wrong with going for the local.
Neck and neck? Such an assumption, just because the same two names were tossed up the whole time. They've obviously chosen him for a particular reason, that (in their opinion) he's the better option. Same reason why Watters got the job ahead of Hinkley, Chris Scott over Sanderson, most coaches end up winning a position.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well if Johnson is injured, at least the selectors will be saved from having to make the "tough" call.

Joao

U19 12th Man
Well if Johnson is injured, at least the selectors will be saved from having to make the "tough" call.
Johnson to take 11 wickets and make an 80+ in his first game for the WACAs and replace Copeland for the second test because he isn't a match winner like Midge.

Midge to then serve up New Zealand's first win against us in two hundred years by bowling dross at Hobart. Clarke the to laud his effort and mentioning that even though Harris, Watto and Cummins actually got 15 of the 17* wickets, could have easily been his day despite going for 4.5 and only taking the wicket of Vettori for a career best 206.

*Clarke to bowl Ryder through the gate

howardj

International Coach
Neck and neck? Such an assumption, just because the same two names were tossed up the whole time. They've obviously chosen him for a particular reason, that (in their opinion) he's the better option. Same reason why Watters got the job ahead of Hinkley, Chris Scott over Sanderson, most coaches end up winning a position.
Yeah, neck and neck in terms of previous good achievements and international experience (not just because they were both mentioned as the last two candidates). For mine, and I think this is the case across a whole range of fields, too much emphasis is placed on the interview/presentation - rather than looking at "have you done this job before, and have you done it well"?. By all means, the presentation/interview is part of the mix, but place too much emphasis on it and like the poor old Demons you end up getting Dean Bailey ahead of Sheedy.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, neck and neck in terms of previous good achievements and international experience (not just because they were both mentioned as the last two candidates). For mine, and I think this is the case across a whole range of fields, too much emphasis is placed on the interview/presentation - rather than looking at "have you done this job before, and have you done it well"?. By all means, the presentation/interview is part of the mix, but place too much emphasis on it and like the poor old Demons you end up getting Dean Bailey ahead of Sheedy.
It doesn't matter how you've coached if you're not going to be the best one going forward.

howardj

International Coach
It doesn't matter how you've coached if you're not going to be the best one going forward.
Cool, I agree.

But, and especially in a sport like cricket which (unlike AFL for instance) the tactics, trends haven't changed much, I think past performance is the best predictor of future success.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cool, I agree.

But, and especially in a sport like cricket which (unlike AFL for instance) the tactics, trends haven't changed much, I think past performance is the best predictor of future success.
If you're just going to appoint people on the basis of results without attempting to understand why they've achieved the results they have, then you're setting yourself up for failure.

Midwinter

State Captain
" Ponting Confonts Cricket Mortality"

Misleading headline as the article is about his refusal to confront his cricket mortality.

"All I need is time in the middle"