• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Basil D'Oliveira has died

Dissector

International Debutant
Surely one of the most remarkable careers ever. It's quite staggering that he made his first-class debut in his early 30's and his test debut when he was almost 35. If he had a normal career, he might have well been one of the greatest all-rounders of all-time. It's a pity that there don't seem to be any videos of him on Youtube.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
how was he the most significant post ww2 cricketer?

rip
Hastening South Africa's exit from International sport at the end of the 60s

A fine batsman and possibly the most innocuous looking bowler Test cricket has seen - surprised plenty with the way he made the ball swing and seam about though

Delighted he got the recognition he deserved and wasn't forgotten

RIP Dolly

chalky

International Debutant
how was he the most significant post ww2 cricketer?

rip
His original non selection and then subsequent selection for the 1968 tour caused South Africa to cancel the tour and his thought of as a major causes of South Africa's sporting isolation which many people belived contributed to the end of Aparthid.

Below is link to the background on brilliant documentary by the BBC on the issue. Remember watching it when it first aired a few years ago but haven't been able to find it anywhere since.

BBC - BBC Four Documentaries - Not Cricket

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sad news indeed. I believe he hadn't been in good health for a few years now.

Thoroughly decent man and a great cricketer who had a remarkable life and a lasting impact on the sport. Peter Oboorne's biography Basil D'Oliveira is one of the very best cricket biographies & if anyone hasn't had the pleasure is recommended reading.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
RIP :(

Agreed with Dav's sentiments about him being one of the most significant post-WWII cricketers.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Quite sad news but eighty is a fair enough age to die. Not an innings cruelly cut short like Graham Dilley's for instance. :(

The man, from what I gather through learned pundits, was capable of a lot more in international cricket. A fanatastic strokeplaying allrounder whose true worth was probably never realised. Was never given enough due for his cricketing merit, but was made an accidental hero for a political cause - I hope people judge him appropriately after his death.

R.I.P Dolly!

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad news indeed. I believe he hadn't been in good health for a few years now.

Thoroughly decent man and a great cricketer who had a remarkable life and a lasting impact on the sport. Peter Oboorne's biography Basil D'Oliveira is one of the very best cricket biographies & if anyone hasn't had the pleasure is recommended reading.
Yes is a wonderfull book, not only for the more famous parts of his story but also his extraordianry performances whilst playing in South Africa.

RIP Dolly