• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Basil D'Oliveira has died

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've just realised that I actually know very little about D'Oliveira the cricketer other than his skin colour and the fact that he was unintentionally a factor in South Africa's sporting isolation.

A quick glance at his cricinfo profile reveals a remarkable record for a player who only came into First Class cricket at the age of 33. Gerald Majola's comment today - "one can only imagine what he might have achieved had he made his debut as he should have done at the age of 20 on South Africa's tour of England in 1951" - makes me think that D'Oliveira, despite playing 44 Tests and averaging 40 with the bat, was as big a loss to Test cricket as his fellow countrymen like Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The D'Oliveira Affair | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo
'I never thought they`d do that to you, Bas' | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

lolmcc - fair cricket huh? Sad that only one guy stood up for him at the selection meeting and not guys like bedser.

I can unequivocally say that I would not be able to handle the situation with half as much dignity and class if I were in his position.

RIP.
Pat Murphy, the ghost writer for his autobiography, said Dolly's views on the affair in private were quite strong, especially when his tongue was loosened by a couple of his favourite ales. However it's to his great credit he kept his counsel in public, letting weight of runs do his talking for him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea absolutely. In baseball, Jackie Robinson maintained so much class despite ugly epithets and daily threats (and not only from fans). I wouldnt have the poise to act that way - definitely to their great credit. It's easier to dismiss anger and complaints, even if legitimate than to see a guy handle himself with class and dignity, doing everything he is supposed to and still being treated unfairly due to factors outside his control. The fact that he let his bat do the talking made his case much more effective and showed the MCC (not to mention the apartheid) as the losers they were.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Very sad. One of the few sportspeople who genuinely deserve to be known as a hero.

lolmcc - fair cricket huh? Sad that only one guy stood up for him at the selection meeting and not guys like bedser.
Not surprising. I've heard Bedser was a prick.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not surprising. I've heard Bedser was a prick.
I dunno about that, but sadly I suspect his politics were just to the left of Hitler. Was a founding member of the Nazi-lite Freedom Association after all.

Also worth noting the president of the MCC at the time was Arthur Gilligan, a former member of the British Union of fascists.

In his book Oborne makes it quite clear Gilligan and the MCC treasurer Gubby Allen knew South Africa would not accept D'Oliveira and were in possession of a letter from the SA PM John Vorster which expressly stated this.

All in all a very shameful and sordid episode that does English cricket no credit whatsoever.

slowfinger

International Debutant
I am good friends with his grand child, Brett, played with him in the nets a few times, see him around every once in a while. He should be proud of his father, really. RIP:wub: