• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Not' the greatest XI.

sunilreddy

Banned
Hodge
Michael Di Venuto
Raman Lamba
Praveen Amre
Hemang Badani
Darren Lehmann
Vinod Kambli
Cuffy
Stuart Mcgill
Dominic Cork
Charlie Lock

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Kamal had the technique and temperament to play test cricket. Wish he was handled better!

And yeah, Cork was one of my fav. back in mid 90s. That lovely action and the glare...
I think he was one of the most patient and mentally strong batsman, I really can't figure out how can he get dropped after scoring 8 fifties in his 20 innings(which included two 90s and and an 87).
He scored well in pressure situations and never really gave away his wicket that easily.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Rohan Kanhai
Ian Redpath
Bob Cowper
Tom Graveney
Eddie Barlow(C)
Clive Rice
Rusi Surti
John Maclean (K)
Garth Le Roux
Bill Voce
John Reid

I believe their is balance there with enough talent to give most sides a good run

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not exactly that, just a XI which consists of good players and not the 'greats'.
You can pick players who have been decent(but not the greatest) in international cricket like Scott Styris,
or players who are young and look promising, or players who didn't get to play for long because of injuries (e.g. Bond) or not being given proper chances(e.g. Murali Kartik),etc.

You cannot pick any of the great players and try and make a team combination which can still beat the best teams.
Your only chance of beating the best teams is to pick a team of Shane Bond types who had their careers curtailed by injury or due to being from SA etc.

trapol

U19 12th Man
So basically you want an unfashionable eleven?

Good players who perhaps didn't 'fit the mould'

So your Styris', Lehmanns, sarwans??

Am I right?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
So basically you want an unfashionable eleven?

Good players who perhaps didn't 'fit the mould'

So your Styris', Lehmanns, sarwans??

Am I right?
Good players, or players who didn't get proper chances or promising youngsters, players who couldn't play much due to injuries,etc.
but just don't include great players in the team, and the team should look like it can beat the best teams in the world despite of not a single great player in it.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Not too sure of the concept but give it a go...

Rob Key - a bit unlucky when he was dropped, never particularly let England down
Jacques Rudolph - struggles to perform at International level but is clearly a class above fc cricketers
Ramneresh Sarwan - a great, (can't remember who he was, someone on here probably knows) said Sarwan would average 60+ in test cricket, a let down considering his vast ability and personally its one of the players that's annoyed me most in not scoring runs as often as they should.
Richard de Souza - often bought up as one of the best batsmen never to have played for the west indies, my dad is a very firm believer of this
Mark Ramprakash - same as Rudolph really
Dwayne Bravo - bags of ability, fielding prowess and enthusiasm, I never got the feeling he applied himself as a batsmen down the order though. 100 against Oz shows his ability to bat.
James Foster - played cricket in the wrong era really, its very comferting going to chelmsford and knowing practically every chance your keeper has will be taken
Lonwabe Tsotsobe - still more to come from him I imagine, unlucky to be in an attack with Steyn Morkel and now Philander who looks to have taken his opportunity
Trent
RP Singh - always thought he had a few weapons, pretty good pace, swings the ball, bowled well in tandem with khan when I saw them in England the time before last, yet he's never really done much Internationally
Pedro Collins - can be devestating, a left armer who gets prodigious swing, though kolpack indiscipline and bad luck meant he wasnt playing while talented stars like Darren Powell were playing regularly.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Ramneresh Sarwan - a great, (can't remember who he was, someone on here probably knows) said Sarwan would average 60+ in test cricket, a let down considering his vast ability and personally its one of the players that's annoyed me most in not scoring runs as often as they should.
The prediction was for a 50+ average and the man who did it was Ted Dexter.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Lonwabe Tsotsobe - still more to come from him I imagine, unlucky to be in an attack with Steyn Morkel and now Philander who looks to have taken his opportunity
Trent
RP Singh - always thought he had a few weapons, pretty good pace, swings the ball, bowled well in tandem with khan when I saw them in England the time before last, yet he's never really done much Internationally
Pedro Collins - can be devestating, a left armer who gets prodigious swing, though kolpack indiscipline and bad luck meant he wasnt playing while talented stars like Darren Powell were playing regularly.

Are you, by any chance, a left arm pace bowler? :D

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Not too sure of the concept but give it a go...

Rob Key - a bit unlucky when he was dropped, never particularly let England down
Jacques Rudolph - struggles to perform at International level but is clearly a class above fc cricketers
Richard de Souza - often bought up as one of the best batsmen never to have played for the west indies, my dad is a very firm believer of this
Mark Ramprakash - same as Rudolph really
Dwayne Bravo - bags of ability, fielding prowess and enthusiasm, I never got the feeling he applied himself as a batsmen down the order though. 100 against Oz shows his ability to bat.
James Foster - played cricket in the wrong era really, its very comferting going to chelmsford and knowing practically every chance your keeper has will be taken
Trent
The top order you have selected is really good,
but RP Singh is quite an odd selection I would say, Vintcent Van Der Bijl.can be a better option, and no spinners in the side??

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
An all-time side with players who are generally not considered as ATGs:

Rohan Kanhai
Vijay Merchant
Mohinder Amarnath
Douglas Jardine*
Gundappa Vishwanath
Clive Rice
Mike Procter
Jack Russell+
Stuart MacGill
Garth Le Roux
Sylvester Clark

Last edited:

trapol

U19 12th Man
First guy picked hasn't been mentioned yet

fYI only two players ever have scored 5000 test and ODI runs, taken 100 wickets in both Test and ODIs, played in 100 tests and ODIs and caught over 100 catches in Tests and ODIs....don't cheat and look it up

One is Jacques Kallis

There other wouldn't be an all time great for his country and should be first picked in this team

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanath Jayasuriya?

Or Carl Hooper?

Pretty sure Dan Vettori or Kapil Dev aren't the answer.

Last edited:

trapol

U19 12th Man
Jayasuriya - doesn't have enough test catches nor wickets

And as I said the other player wouldn't make his countries greatest team. I think, in my opinion, sanath would make SLs

trapol

U19 12th Man
Well done with Hooper

Did you honestly guess? Heard it before? Or look it up?

But he would be in this team Karan is looking for I would think

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah was just guessing. The give away was that he won't be an ATG of his country. Somehow my mind went immediately to Hooper and Windies. Even Sanath would be regarded as an ATG in ODIs.