• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentating Standard thread

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
As the topic suggests, I am annoyed with the commentating standards of these matches.

If someone has been following Sanath Jayasuria and Russel arnolds commentating, he would surely know what I am talking about.
Sanath talks in adverbial phrases. amazing how people like him can enter the commentating panel. On the other hand Russel Arnold is annoying, keeps on proving he is passionate about Sri Lanka.

Both are fanboys who have made it in to the panel. If this is the standard, I had better apply as well.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
The best know when to shut up, Knowing that silence can be as effective as words is an art and marks the truly good commentators.

I'd like to see a commentator who says nothing during the first part of a UDRS review. Yes, we're cricket supporters, we can see it's not a no-ball, no need to say a word.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was impressed with Pollock again during his day two stint at the Wanderers. Thoughtful, incisive and patently enjoying the game still. Sounds wanky but you could hear his smile in his voice.

Think we're slightly spoiled in the UK with our Sky team. It's only when one hears what the rest of the world has to suffer one fully realises how blessed we are. The commentary team for the Pak/SL test series was almost comically bad.

Jacknife

International Captain
Was impressed with Pollock again during his day two stint at the Wanderers. Thoughtful, incisive and patently enjoying the game still. Sounds wanky but you could hear his smile in his voice.

Think we're slightly spoiled in the UK with our Sky team. It's only when one hears what the rest of the world has to suffer one fully realises how blessed we are. The commentary team for the Pak/SL test series was almost comically bad.
I agree, I remember being impressed with him when we played in SA a couple of years ago, like you say he knows what he's talking about and he can also get his point across without boring you to death in. His love of the game is also apparent when he commentates, which imo is quite hard to do on air, especially when compared to some of the other guys around.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Listened to Neil Johnson yesterday on Grandstand. First time I heard him on radio and he was insightful.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Over the SA-Aus and Zim-NZ games been impressed with Wessels and Pollock from guys I hadn't heard from before.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've actually been pretty disappointed with Border, although he's not exactly been in the most stimulating of company. The South African commentators, with the exception of Pollock are awful.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Saurav Ganguly and Sanjay Manjrekar are the better ones from India. Gavaskar (apart from his Sachin worship and Aussie bashing at times) used to be good and so was Shastri to an extent, but right now they are just paid cronies for the BCCI.