• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The criteria to judge the best cricketer ever

What should be the criteria to judge the greatest cricketer ever

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He must score 28,067 runs in FC cricket @ 95.14.

No wait, Karan will start shouting about semi-professional era, and the quality of cricket being too low.

So, 28,067 runs @ 95.14 in ANY kind of cricket will do - club cricket, school cricket, backyard cricket with tennis ball. Heck, I haven't achieved this in book cricket even, though the competition was too low :laugh: .

Keep on searching for a guy who has scored 28,067 runs @ 95.14 in ANY kind of cricket.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I like to imagine they were just so impressed by Lillywhite they filled the runs conceded column with pictures of him bowling ****s out.

smash84

The Tiger King
At the risk of making this thread serious, does a ridiculously high batting average provide enough cover for not doing the other half of the sport?

I tend to hesitate on calling Bradman the greatest cricketer ever for that reason.
I think you are making me change my mind too :p.

I think it's pretty clear the OP's criteria are:

Debut in or about 1989
Still be playing
For India, of course
Selective deafness
Failed captain
Decent but hardly exceptional fielder
Useful part time bowler
Refuse to move from your preferred place in the batting order, even if there are injuries or a crisis.
Won a World Cup*

* only 2011 counts.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

smash84

The Tiger King
Since this is my 10000th post I guess it is only fitting that it is dedicated to the man in my avatar (like maybe 3000 of my other posts as well :p).

Ladies and Gentlemen. The greatest cricketer ever must have some awesome batting and bowling skills as well as the best leadership qualities. PEWS to agree with my assessment :ph34r:.

philanthropist, social worker, politician (and hopefully the next Prime Minister of Pakistan)

No marks for guessing who I am talking about :p

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I have no idea. All I see are little boxes with 'x'es in them.

Edit: He mentioned "philanthropist, social worker, politician (and hopefully the next Prime Minister of Pakistan)". So I'm guessing he's posted pictures of Nawaz Sharif.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Obviously you have to take a 5fer in every match and obviously you have to average less than 15 with the ball and obviously you have to have some top class interview skills obviously.