• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ING Cup

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
furious_ged said:
Clarke still outscored Katich, Pickup! That was a useless shot from Katich, as opposed to Clarke who got out playing in the manner which makes him so great - attacking. His problems lie in taming his own demons.
3 off 16 balls is attacking now, is it? ;)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
MJ Clarke c Blewett b Rofe 3 (16b, 25m)
He was slow in scoring and his frustration caused him to play that drive but damn, if that wasn't one of the greatest mid-off catches I've ever seen which got him! On any other day, it would have been rocketing to the fence but Blewwy somehow hung onto a freakin' howitzer. They were the sorts of catches I used to DREAD when I fielded at mid-off...........

Incidentally, ha ha NSW you guys lost to Tassie than SA twice. HOW EMBARRASSING. :D

That's what I meant by attacking and taming his own demons. The first thing I said when he hit that was 'SHOT!' until Blewett ruined my day. He was out to an attacking shot from a brilliant catch.

I always say if you're gonna go, go in style. He always gets out having a swing, which is good to see.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
Clarke still outscored Katich, Pickup! That was a useless shot from Katich, as opposed to Clarke who got out playing in the manner which makes him so great - attacking.
Yes so great that he takes 16 balls to score 3 then takes his frustration out and gets out by hitting it in the air. Praise is all good when it's deserved but Clarke is nowhere near deserving of the title of "great" and if you wish to praise him, do so when he's done something of note.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
He was slow in scoring and his frustration caused him to play that drive but damn, if that wasn't one of the greatest mid-off catches I've ever seen which got him! On any other day, it would have been rocketing to the fence but Blewwy somehow hung onto a freakin' howitzer. They were the sorts of catches I used to DREAD when I fielded at mid-off...........

Incidentally, ha ha NSW you guys lost to Tassie than SA twice. HOW EMBARRASSING. :D
Ok it wasn't a mid-off catch but how would Blewy's rate against Nass' miracle catch against Sri-Lanka a few years ago? With out a doubt that's the best catch I've ever seen and I've seen Jonty take some beuties!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Yes so great that he takes 16 balls to score 3 then takes his frustration out and gets out by hitting it in the air. Praise is all good when it's deserved but Clarke is nowhere near deserving of the title of "great" and if you wish to praise him, do so when he's done something of note.
Couldn't agree more.

How many batsmen have gone into the International arena being talked up as superb and world class, but then failed?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Ok it wasn't a mid-off catch but how would Blewy's rate against Nass' miracle catch against Sri-Lanka a few years ago? With out a doubt that's the best catch I've ever seen and I've seen Jonty take some beuties!
What about Kirtley's last summer?

In fact didn't that series have a few crackers?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
What about Kirtley's last summer?

In fact didn't that series have a few crackers?
In fact Irani, Kirtley and Hussain's catches all came in the same match and were one-handed beuties, although Hussain's was the most stunning since it was caught with his weak hand, diving, off a full blooded shot by Jayasuria. He just stuck his hand out and hoped. Thorpe also pulled off a beuty, not sure if it was in that match or not. The England-Pakistan game a few years ago at Lords had some real corkers, Saeed Anwar and Shoiab Malik taking purlers off the bowling of Ahzar Mahmood, getting out Stewie and Vaughan in quick sucession. Also in that series I remember Wark Waugh's superb catch off a 90mph+ Afridi slash off Lee which he just jumped up and caught as if it was the easiest catch in the world, and quite a few stunners by a certain S.K.Warne...

For a few years we really were spoilt with quality catches.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wasn't Hussain's at Trent Bridge (short extra cover? fairly sure I saw it from the William Clarke) and Kirtley's at Lord's? Don't remember Irani's.

And what about Flintoff's this summer!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Wasn't Hussain's at Trent Bridge (short extra cover? fairly sure I saw it from the William Clarke) and Kirtley's at Lord's? Don't remember Irani's.

And what about Flintoff's this summer!
Well I've got the video of the match, and I think it's the Hussain, Irani and Thorpe catches at Trent Bridge as you said. I'll need to watch the series again to see but I'll just take your word for it because I can't be bothered!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
Well I've got the video of the match, and I think it's the Hussain, Irani and Thorpe catches at Trent Bridge as you said. I'll need to watch the series again to see but I'll just take your word for it because I can't be bothered!
Just checked the Cricinfo report and yep, Hussain, Irani and Thorpe there. Can't remember what the second two looked like. Damn side-on stands only giving you a decent view of half the pitch.

Did you see the Hussain catch, Pete, or were you busy looking at the young ladies in the tight orange clothing? :P

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Did you see the Hussain catch, Pete, or were you busy looking at the young ladies in the tight orange clothing? :P
It's not my fault that girls from the bar called Hooters were wearing tight clothes and handing out free chicken wings. Mmmmmmmmm chicken wings.

Saw him catch it but missed the shot, so guess it wasn't a complete viewing of it but nevermind, I was content with free Strongbow and chicken wings. Plus Freddie smacked the fastest 50 by an Englishman in ODI.

Drunk as a skunk and Freddie smacking the ball around. You can't teach that kind of thing. :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Just checked the Cricinfo report and yep, Hussain, Irani and Thorpe there. Can't remember what the second two looked like. Damn side-on stands only giving you a decent view of half the pitch.
I can't actually remember the Thorpe catch other than I remember it was a very good one handed effort. Irani was at Mid-On if I remember correctly and mis-judged what looked a simple catch and stuck his hand out as a last resort, and it stuck!

Mike Hussey took an absolute screamer at mid off or extra cover this year in the ING cup. Anyone see that? Diving in the air to his right, one handed.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Table Update: Tight Race For ING Cup

A tight competition between nearly all teams marks the start of the ING Cup. Queensland finds themselves 5th in both the 4D and OD form. Tasmania are but a ghost of their Pura Cup form, falling dead last. The standings are:

WA
SA
NSW
Vic
Qld
Tas

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
I can't actually remember the Thorpe catch other than I remember it was a very good one handed effort. Irani was at Mid-On if I remember correctly and mis-judged what looked a simple catch and stuck his hand out as a last resort, and it stuck!
Irani seems to have made a good career out of that sort of thing.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
NSW are looking awesome in reply to Tassies 273. How good was MacGills ball to Punter though!?!:(