Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Sachin Retire?

If his performances do genuinely decline, it would be sad to see India continue to select him just to notch up this one fairly meaningless (agree with brumby) statistic.

Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    If his performances do genuinely decline, it would be sad to see India continue to select him just to notch up this one fairly meaningless (agree with brumby) statistic.
    Haha there's no way in hell that Tendulkar will be legitimately and conclusively not one of the best six batsmen in India before he hits another hundred, IMO.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by daemon View Post
    i'm not going to make a call. The last time i did that for dravid he scored 6 hundreds in 12 months.
    awta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Should he retire? Probably not. He would make the team on merit.....if somehow Yuvraj keeps making it.

Will he be dropped? No chance. He could not score any runs for years and he wouldn't be dropped. The last thing a politician wants to do is to piss off millions of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Even aside from the obvious point that no Indian selector is going to want to be perceived as having Sachin's scalp hanging from his belt, he's still patently in the best six batsmen in India.

The 100 100s thing gets on my tits tho. It's a completely meaningless and made up milestone. When have statisticians ever added ODI & test centuries together?
    TBF, ODIs weren't really been played all that often before the mid eighties so obviously such a stat wouldn't exist. As much as I hate counting ODI and Test runs as equals, I've heard commentators/statisticians say 'international runs' and 'international centuries' quite often (and they just take the aggregate).

Quote Originally Posted by Eloquentia View Post
    Given he's proving now that he's not test standard & probably never was (got lucky a few times) it begs the question - should he save his already shattered fathom of pride and retire?
    IMO he should tighten up his technique to prove to himself that he is Test class before he quits. He should get tips on footwork from Sehwag, on orthodox shot making from Dhoni, and on how to make most of your chances from Yuvraj.

And finally, how to physically prepare for cricket from Atul Sharma.

They aren't brave enough to drop him, and like Crabbage said, he shouldn't retire until he wants to, but he is seeming to lack the motivation ala 2003-06. Not that that's not understandable - apart from the 100 100's mark, what else is there to achieve? Also think that's a reason why Ponting's in decline, too.

Still, given his pre-WC form, he's still one of India's best 6 batsmen.

And at Skippos's post.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    TBF, ODIs weren't really been played all that often before the mid eighties so obviously such a stat wouldn't exist. As much as I hate counting ODI and Test runs as equals, I've heard commentators/statisticians say 'international runs' and 'international centuries' quite often (and they just take the aggregate).
    I've only ever heard that for Tendulkar tbh.

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Sachin should make his 100th 100 and then retire. It's always best to go when on top and the 100th 100 in a last innings would be the best for someone as great as him.
    Wouldnt it be great that he retires with 99 centuries.....The don with average of 99 and Sachin with 99 hundreds......"pretty brandmanisque"....I would say??
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Should have retired in 2003.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Even aside from the obvious point that no Indian selector is going to want to be perceived as having Sachin's scalp hanging from his belt, he's still patently in the best six batsmen in India.

The 100 100s thing gets on my tits tho. It's a completely meaningless and made up milestone. When have statisticians ever added ODI & test centuries together?
    I honestly have no problem with that statistic. 100 international centuries is something no one else has been close to achieving and as you step into uncharted territory you do create new milestones.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Funnily enough, you will find it was mostly started when Sunny G was talking about Sachin T.

I willl believe it means something when they add up T20, Test and ODI hundreds for the next player who gets somewhere near.

But international 100s are still international 100s. And I think the fact that he is gonna get more than 50 100s in each format is the REAL big deal. 20 years and all these 100s and just the simple ability that he is good enough to score 100s in tests AND ODIs after all these years are the real awesome things about him right now.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Lol @ the idea that anyone who has had the 2010 that Sachin has had should retire simply due to one bad series in 2011.
    This. Big deal that he average 34 in any one series.

Can't believe people are taking this thread seriously. Guess shows the pressure's of being Sachin.

It's interesting isn't it, because the last time Sachin failed throughout a test series was back in 08 in SL, and that series we also lost. In fact we failed as a whole batting unit (bar Sehwag/Gambhir in SL and Dravid in Eng) in that series also, much like the recent England series.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    It's interesting isn't it, because the last time Sachin failed throughout a test series was back in 08 in SL, and that series we also lost. In fact we failed as a whole batting unit (bar Sehwag/Gambhir in SL and Dravid in Eng) in that series also, much like the recent England series.
    Actually the performance of the batting unit in England and South Africa when compared wasn't that hugely different in terms of averages. Sachin was the main man in South Africa while Dravid was in England. Though the timing of the runs was way better in SA and then was complemented in the last 2 tests by bowlers with Zaheer coming back and the rest stepping up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information