• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Sachin Retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One does not have to be a wizard to figure out the right time to bow out. He said in an interview last year - "I am happy, not satisfied". When he is content with his achievements, and feels there is nothing more to play for, he will hang up his boots. SRT will not need to be forced out.
What if he declines to a point where he's not Test standard before he is content with his achievements?

ganeshran

International Debutant
He has been our best batsman for the last 2,3,5 and even 10 years. Even this year where he in poor form (after a mediocre tour to England), he has managed to average 46 odd.

International class test batsmen are hard to come by. We have still not replaced ganguly who retired from tests 3 years ago. Replacing Sachin is a distant goal. IMO he will play till 2012 end, unless the tour down under goes horribly wrong

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Even aside from the obvious point that no Indian selector is going to want to be perceived as having Sachin's scalp hanging from his belt, he's still patently in the best six batsmen in India.

The 100 100s thing gets on my **** tho. It's a completely meaningless and made up milestone. When have statisticians ever added ODI & test centuries together?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Even aside from the obvious point that no Indian selector is going to want to be perceived as having Sachin's scalp hanging from his belt, he's still patently in the best six batsmen in India.

The 100 100s thing gets on my **** tho. It's a completely meaningless and made up milestone. When have statisticians ever added ODI & test centuries together?
:laugh: AWTA.

I guess this thread is taking the piss. He's not only in the top 6 in his team but the world.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If his performances do genuinely decline, it would be sad to see India continue to select him just to notch up this one fairly meaningless (agree with brumby) statistic.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If his performances do genuinely decline, it would be sad to see India continue to select him just to notch up this one fairly meaningless (agree with brumby) statistic.
Haha there's no way in hell that Tendulkar will be legitimately and conclusively not one of the best six batsmen in India before he hits another hundred, IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Should he retire? Probably not. He would make the team on merit.....if somehow Yuvraj keeps making it.

Will he be dropped? No chance. He could not score any runs for years and he wouldn't be dropped. The last thing a politician wants to do is to piss off millions of people.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

TBF, ODIs weren't really been played all that often before the mid eighties so obviously such a stat wouldn't exist. As much as I hate counting ODI and Test runs as equals, I've heard commentators/statisticians say 'international runs' and 'international centuries' quite often (and they just take the aggregate).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Given he's proving now that he's not test standard & probably never was (got lucky a few times) it begs the question - should he save his already shattered fathom of pride and retire?
IMO he should tighten up his technique to prove to himself that he is Test class before he quits. He should get tips on footwork from Sehwag, on orthodox shot making from Dhoni, and on how to make most of your chances from Yuvraj.

And finally, how to physically prepare for cricket from Atul Sharma.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They aren't brave enough to drop him, and like Crabbage said, he shouldn't retire until he wants to, but he is seeming to lack the motivation ala 2003-06. Not that that's not understandable - apart from the 100 100's mark, what else is there to achieve? Also think that's a reason why Ponting's in decline, too.

Still, given his pre-WC form, he's still one of India's best 6 batsmen.

And 8-) at Skippos's post.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
TBF, ODIs weren't really been played all that often before the mid eighties so obviously such a stat wouldn't exist. As much as I hate counting ODI and Test runs as equals, I've heard commentators/statisticians say 'international runs' and 'international centuries' quite often (and they just take the aggregate).
I've only ever heard that for Tendulkar tbh.

Bouncer

State Regular
Sachin should make his 100th 100 and then retire. It's always best to go when on top and the 100th 100 in a last innings would be the best for someone as great as him.
Wouldnt it be great that he retires with 99 centuries.....The don with average of 99 and Sachin with 99 hundreds......"pretty brandmanisque"....I would say??

Status
Not open for further replies.