• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has 00's produced fewer quality cricketers then 90's ?

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have no stats to back it up just the general impression I am getting.lets compare the two World XI's of players who made their debuts in 90's and those who started in 00's

00's XI

Sehwag
Smith(c)
Sangakarra (WK)
Clarke
KP
AB de
Hussey
Swann
Zaheer
Anderson
Steyn

90's XI
Hayden
Anwar
Lara
Dravid
Ponting(c)
Kallis
Gilchrist(wk)
Mcgrath
Donald
Warne
Murali

With all due respect to 00's side imo 90's side is going to smoke the 00's side 4-1 in a 5 match series.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lets have a look at the 80's team.

Taylor
Atherton
Crowe
Tendulkar
Aravinda
S.Waugh
Healy
Wasim
Waqar
Ambrose
Walsh

This will be a closer contest with the 00's side however the bowling is still significantly stronger even without a spinner.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
agree.

5 zip if one were to be flexible and chuck tendulkar into the 90s side, even though he did make his debut in 89.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, Some of those that debuted in the 80's became stars in the 90's, and some of those who debuted in the 90's became stars in 00's.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Compelling question. Important to keep in mind that greatness of Hayden, Ponting, Kallis, Gilchrisrt, dravid had not been established in 2001. So we might view a naughties XI differently 5 years later. But yes, the general feeling I get is that not many naughties players are perceived as ATGs by most followers of the game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Judging by your list Xuhaib, no 00s have not produced fewer quality cricketers, both eras have produced 11.

Please fix the batting order too *pedantic.

Xuhaib

International Coach
70's

Gavaskar
Gooch
Viv
Miandad
G.Chappel
Botham
R.Marsh(wk)
Imran(c)
Hadlee
Lillee
Marshal

lol god good luck getting past this.

Howe_zat

Audio File
So you're saying that a player who debuted in 1999 and played almost all his best cricket in the 2000s appears to be better than one who debuted in 2004 and is generally agreed to have his best years ahead of him.

What was your point, exactly?

Ponting, Gilchrist, Murali and Hayden were all far better in the 2000s than they were in the 1990s. Let's give the likes of Steyn, De Villiers, KP and Clarke the same courtesy before we decide they'd all be owned.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pretty hilarious that Tendulkar would be eligible for the 80s side...the same decade which also saw the debuts of guys like Richie Richardson, Geoff Lawson, Jeff Dujon, Dean Jones, David Boon and players like that. When you think of those players, you literally think of a completely different time and era. To play a Test match in four consecutive decades is so ridiculous.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yes there is a possibility that a player may have his best years in the decade next to the decade when he made his debut. I am not comparing quality of cricket played in different decades. Its just a simple exercise to see which decade led to the debut of bigger (better) stars

Xuhaib

International Coach
haha..people no need to look so deeply in to this its just another fantasy world XI with another outlook

Xuhaib

International Coach
ofcourse 00's have a chance to improve players who are not in the reckoning like Kohli, Matthews, Cook, Bell, Broad may end up becoming all time greats and make the 00's side look much better by 2015.

Howe_zat

Audio File
yes there is a possibility that a player may have his best years in the decade next to the decade when he made his debut. I am not comparing quality of cricket played in different decades. Its just a simple exercise to see which decade led to the debut of bigger (better) stars
So surely you see why players who debuted recently are at a disadvantage there? It's pretty trivial to say that players who have been around longer are bigger stars than those who haven't.

Xuhaib

International Coach
So surely you see why players who debuted recently are at a disadvantage there? It's pretty trivial to say that players who have been around longer are bigger stars than those who haven't.
can't see many 00' stars overtaking 90's star even with a longer career. Do you see AB overtaking Kallis or KP going ahead of Lara or Swann being remembered more then Murali I do feel 90's led to a debut or more iconic stars then 00's.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty hilarious that Tendulkar would be eligible for the 80s side...the same decade which also saw the debuts of guys like Richie Richardson, Geoff Lawson, Jeff Dujon, Dean Jones, David Boon and players like that. When you think of those players, you literally think of a completely different time and era. To play a Test match in four consecutive decades is so ridiculous.
Wilfred Rhodes touched 5 decades! http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283451.html

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's better if you did it by "which era you associate them with".

In that case:

90's

Anwar
Taylor
Lara
Tendulkar
S Waugh
de Silva
Healy
Wasim
Warne
Waqar
Ambrose

00's

Hayden
Smith
Dravid
Ponting
Jayawardene
Kallis
Gilchrist
Steyn
Akthar
Murali
McGrath

Howe_zat

Audio File
can't see many 00' stars overtaking 90's star even with a longer career. Do you see AB overtaking Kallis or KP going ahead of Lara or Swann being remembered more then Murali I do feel 90's led to a debut or more iconic stars then 00's.
No, not really. But we've no idea what the younger generation is capable of. If you suggested Hayden would go on to be one of Australia's best ever openers in 2000 you'd be laughed off.

What you've essentially done is narrowed the 2000s team to those who debuted before 2005, so as these players have had time to establish themselves (Swann the exception), and even then half of them my well go on for bigger and better achievements. You've pretty much got half the players to work with. Of those in your 90s team that you could pick in 2000 or 2001, only Donald, Anwar, Lara, Warne and McGrath would be the same. (Maybe Ponting, but the Punter of 2000 would be the equivalent of someone like Clarke from today).

Of course, it may not happen. It might be that once all the players who debuted in the 2000s are done or nearly done, we can be fair about it and say they simply weren't as good. But I doubt it, as seen by the teams from every other decade - there's a reason they're all more or less as good as each other.

As an aside - personally, I don't think you're every likely to get as strong a middle order from one of these teams as the likes of Ponting, Lara and Kallis (and Tendulkar). We were just pretty fortunate to get these guys playing against each other. A bit like we'll probably never get a time for fast bowling allrounders like when Imran, Kapil, Hadlee and Botham were all around.

Last edited: