• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malinga should play Test than chasing dollers says Flower

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Typically inflammatory first par, using that old chestnut 'slam'.

From the quotes I'm seeing, Flower isn't slamming Malinga's decision at all. Seems like he's more rueing the fact that players are more and more moving towards this type of decision.

And in the unlikely event he is slamming him, he has no right. Malinga has a loyalty to himself, his family etc before he does to Test cricket. If he's injury-prone and he can prolong his career/earnins through limited-overs cricket, then all power to him,

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Name me ONE player who quit tests to chase T20 that wasn't 1. old or 2. a walking injury.

Daemon

There are players who give T20 more priority but that's only because they know they have no chance in hell of making it in tests.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SLC cricketers get paid ****. If someone quadrupled your salary for 1/10th your work, you'd do it too. Unless you're actually making an excellent wage from your board - which only applies to Indian, English, Autralian and South African cricketers.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
'Doller'.

SLC cricketers get paid ****. If someone quadrupled your salary for 1/10th your work, you'd do it too. Unless you're actually making an excellent wage from your board - which only applies to Indian, English, Autralian and South African cricketers.
Yeah, this. Amazing how intransigent CWers tend to be on this issue.

Daemon

I have no doubt if I was an international cricketer not being paid well by the board I'd go all out to get a spot in the IPL

benchmark00

Compared to the average wage of people in SL, I'm sure they get paid very well (when they do get paid obv). Couple that with sponsorship deals etc, they're hardly struggling.

Daemon

They're not, but "If someone quadrupled your salary for 1/10th your work, you'd do it too"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Compared to the average wage of people in SL, I'm sure they get paid very well (when they do get paid obv). Couple that with sponsorship deals etc, they're hardly struggling.
But most people's careers don't end by 35 either, and that's if they're lucky. Not struggling is different from being stable enough to be able to take care of your family after your career is over. An even if you theoretically could be comfortable, the vast majority of us would still take a quadruple pay increase for 1/10th the work.

benchmark00

But most people's careers don't end by 35 either, and that's if they're lucky. Not struggling is different from being stable enough to be able to take care of your family after your career is over. An even if you theoretically could be comfortable, the vast majority of us would still take a quadruple pay increase for 1/10th the work.
If my passion was helping people (it's not ftr, I hate ****s) and I was a doctor, but working in the middle of Africa helping people in the famine, earning far more than anyone else around me, but not heaps in comparison to what I could be making in industry, then someone offered me to go to another country and become a trash collector (nothing wrong with that, just first thing that came to mind that was completely different) for four times the wage (and the job is 1/10 as hard), do you think I would do it?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There are about seven assumptions there that don't apply to cricket and cricket players.

And the vast majority of people even in professions that directly help people don't do what you say - let alone sports stars.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And tbf there's a huge problem of doctors leaving developing countries and going to the ones with higher wages. A much much larger proportion than the other way around.

Daemon

If my passion was helping people (it's not ftr, I hate ****s) and I was a doctor, but working in the middle of Africa helping people in the famine, earning far more than anyone else around me, but not heaps in comparison to what I could be making in industry, then someone offered me to go to another country and become a trash collector (nothing wrong with that, just first thing that came to mind that was completely different) for four times the wage (and the job is 1/10 as hard), do you think I would do it?
lol.

How is playing test cricket like doing volunteer work ffs. If anything making money from the IPL will probably result in an increase in their donations.

benchmark00

lol.

How is playing test cricket like doing volunteer work ffs. If anything making money from the IPL will probably result in an increase in their donations.
Well the anology was that you're doing something you believe in for the presitige and self satisfaction of it, not for the money. Surely you got that...

I get the money thing, and for an everyday job maybe that's true. But as was said earlier, you only get to play until you're 35, why not leave a legacy as long as you're still living very very well.