• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malinga should play Test than chasing dollers says Flower

Athlai

Not Terrible
He was incredibly unlucky in Sri Lanka's tour of Australia. So many edges that didn't carry, half chances dropped and shouts turned down. It was probably some of the best I've ever seen him bowl and he got absolutely nothing for it.

Could've been a very different series if he had a bit more of Finn-esque luck. Sanga's knock may not have been in vain.

Himannv

International Coach
Malinga has a knee condition which doesnt allow him to bowl long spells without pain and the risk of breaking down. Brett Lee bowed out of Tests for the very same reason and tried to prolong his LOI career.

In the three years that preceded his retirement, Malinga played a grand total of 2 test matches.
This is pretty much the only post in this thread which is spot on. The guy has genuine injury concerns with his knee.

The guy didn't quit for the money or for any of the other ridiculous reasons people accuse him of. He's one of the most humble, down to earth and genuinely nice blokes in the entire team.

smash84

The Tiger King
This is pretty much the only post in this thread which is spot on. The guy has genuine injury concerns with his knee.

The guy didn't quit for the money or for any of the other ridiculous reasons people accuse him of. He's one of the most humble, down to earth and genuinely nice blokes in the entire team.
so you can't be one of the most humble, down to earth and genuinely nice blokes in the entire team if you want to look out for yourself?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Said the same, tbf.:(

Furball

Evil Scotsman

He did quit for money. Nothing wrong with that - if I was in his position injury wise I'd take the millions on offer from the Mumbai Indians to bowl 4 over spells as well.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He did quit for money. Nothing wrong with that - if I was in his position injury wise I'd take the millions on offer from the Mumbai Indians to bowl 4 over spells as well.
How do you know?:confused:

In any case, not sure how it is a case of either one or the other also? And it's not like no one has ever quit Tests and decided to play ODI's to prolong their international career more before this either.

He had knee/other injuries, and wasn't playing many tests even before. Rather than break down from time to time bowling 20/25 overs a day again and again, he rather thought he would play the less taxing forms physically. He may earn more money as a result(that is disputable in any case), but to say he only did it for that is only speculation and trying to attribute motives to him without knowing for certain.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's quite clearly a mixture of fitness and money. You're being naive if you think his injury just happens to result in such a financially lucrative degree of pain.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Passing moral judgments on the personal career choices of people we've never met ftw

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's quite clearly a mixture of fitness and money. You're being naive if you think his injury just happens to result in such a financially lucrative degree of pain.
Precisely. I'm not judging Malinga for his career choice - in his position I would do exactly the same , but the fact that he'll earn much more money representing the Mumbai Indians than he would representing Sri Lanka in Test cricket will be an enormous factor in his decision.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If he was fit enough to play tests then he would be able to play in the IPL as well.

I really don't think he gave up tests because he wanted to make money, it was a lot more to do with his injury. Of course the money played a part but I highly doubt it was the primary motivating factor behind his retirement.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
So, how do you explain say someone like Chris Cairns among many others retiring from tests 2/3 years earlier than ODI's then? No IPL back then?

Why isn't it possible that rather than be a Shoaib Akthar breaking down in tests(who himself quit after giving many tries) he just chose to quit tests? Also, in any case he is/and was a better limited overs bowler than tests throughout his career.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Passing moral judgments on the personal career choices of people we've never met ftw
Indeed. :p (Especially, considering previous stands.)

If he was fit enough to play tests then he would be able to play in the IPL as well.

I really don't think he gave up tests because he wanted to make money, it was a lot more to do with his injury. Of course the money played a part but I highly doubt it was the primary motivating factor behind his retirement.
Exactly.

I am not sure how it is a case of one versus the other and why people want to portray it as such.

Himannv

International Coach
I believed initially that finance was the only motivation behind his retirement from tests and I think I may have even said as much over here back then. I'm convinced that I was wrong on that count. Heard from too many reliable sources over here that it wasn't the case. Also met him a few times since then and asked him once myself during a brief chat. I believe the guy, he would actually play tests if he was physically able to.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I quite clearly said "a mixture of fitness and money". For various and completely fair reasons, it simply isn't worth it to him to put in the aim for a Test return.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
What a fashionable thing it has become for people to pass judgements on the choices other people make for themselves!

Himannv

International Coach
I quite clearly said "a mixture of fitness and money". For various and completely fair reasons, it simply isn't worth it to him to put in the aim for a Test return.
Dont think a test return will be possible at all for him. His knee is steadily getting worse as per my understanding.

The only way I think money comes into it is that its a decision that allows him to continue to play cricket for a few more years than expected if he does indeed play tests.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But I don't think it is just IPL money per se.. He is simply trying to prolong his playing career by playing less tests. It is the opposite for batsmen generally. A Dravid quits ODI cricket just to help him be fitter and more prepared for tests. For a Malinga, quitting tests helps him focus and prepare well for the LO contests and the workload of tests mean there is a greater chance of him injuring his dodgy knees in tests than in ODIs.