Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Malinga should play Test than chasing dollers says Flower

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Ummm it's relevant because cost of living is lower in lower socio-economic regions. So you don't compare salaries from SL to salaries from Switzerland for example.

You can live more comfortable in SL with less money than you can in London for example.
    If you want to live without modern conveniences, sure. But buying a Toyota is still going to cost close to similar between London and SL. The fact that the majority of your countrymen can't afford a car, or can't pay for their kids expensive cancer treatment, doesn't mean you should give up opportunity to have and do those things....just because you want to hit a few more stumps with your ball while wearing a specific jersey? I would consider that very irresponsible of me if my family came from a poor background.

AFAIK Grade A is somewhere around 100k....all the way down to grade E, which is somewhere around 20k USD...that is, when they actually do get paid.

Good luck planning a retirement after only 7-10 years of that (esp for a fast bowler).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Simon Champion!
    Btw, didn't Andy Flower recently say in response to Dhoni "We don't pass Judgements/Make Comments on other players and teams" or something on those lines IIRC?
    Last edited by Cevno; 13-11-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Btw, didn't Andy Flower recently say in response to Dhoni "We don't pass Judgements on other players and teams" or something on those lines IIRC?
    If you read more than the first couple of lines you would notice Flower doesn't actually 'slam' Malinga at all - its more Flower saying that money is now the dominating factor, not representing your country and testing yourself.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    If you read more than the first couple of lines you would notice Flower doesn't actually 'slam' Malinga at all - its more Flower saying that money is now the dominating factor, not representing your country and testing yourself.
    “I have seen some of the comments. As a principle we try to focus on our jobs and we refrain from making moral judgment about others”

That is pretty much a moral judgement.

How can he know for sure why Malinga quit tests in the first place in any case? Also not saying that he shouldn't say anything about Malinga or not, but he can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by Cevno; 13-11-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Pretty clear Flower's just a bit annoyed that it's come to this, rather than having a go at Malinga. He's correct.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Haha, perfect summary. Something to keep in mind next time someone decries someone for a lack of 'loyalty'. As if you should be loyal to a shirt with an emblem on it and a bunch of people you've never met over your family and yourself.
    I suppose public parks/ovals, schools, acadamies, comps etc. provide no support whatsoever to a player.

I can understand other people being dissapointed with the decision given elite pathways exists to produce test players amongst other things.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Why do people do volunteer work?

Individual choice is key.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Here's Flowers comments without the prism of junk journalism...

ICC news: Andy Flower worried over future of Test cricket | Cricket News | England | ESPN Cricinfo

He probably shouldn't mention Malinga unless he knows he harbours a desire (and has the physical ability) to play test cricket. But the broader point still stands. If he is specifically attacking the SA and Aussie boards for this tour though, he needs to be specific about his own employers and the ludicrous scheduling of next summer (as Strauss already has done).

Overall, the more people speaking out about the damage administrators are doing to the game the better as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    Here's Flowers comments without the prism of junk journalism...

ICC news: Andy Flower worried over future of Test cricket | Cricket News | England | ESPN Cricinfo

He probably shouldn't mention Malinga unless he knows he harbours a desire (and has the physical ability) to play test cricket. But the broader point still stands. If he is specifically attacking the SA and Aussie boards for this tour though, he needs to be specific about his own employers and the ludicrous scheduling of next summer (as Strauss already has done).

Overall, the more people speaking out about the damage administrators are doing to the game the better as far as I am concerned.
    He's only mentioning Malinga as an example of someone who's given up Tests to play limited overs; he makes no judgement on Malinga's decision to do so other than to say that it's a shame a player like Malinga is lost to Test cricket.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Haha, perfect summary. Something to keep in mind next time someone decries someone for a lack of 'loyalty'. As if you should be loyal to a shirt with an emblem on it and a bunch of people you've never met over your family and yourself.
    Yeah stuff the nation that gave you the ability to become a professional in the first place
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    My reading is that Flower is bemoaning a system rather than slamming/bashing/tearing into Malinga.

He's saying it's a shame a very individual talent has been lost to the sport's gold standard because of a system that means he's better rewarded elsewhere.

I don't blame Malinga myself, but will say there are lots of examples of other sportsmen turning down higher salaries to continue to represent their countries. More or less every Australian or New Zealand Super 15 rugby player could earn much more money by coming to play in the UK or France, but the vast majority don't because it would mean giving away tests.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    My reading is that Flower is bemoaning a system rather than slamming/bashing/tearing into Malinga.

He's saying it's a shame a very individual talent has been lost to the sport's gold standard because of a system that means he's better rewarded elsewhere.

I don't blame Malinga myself, but will say there are lots of examples of other sportsmen turning down higher salaries to continue to represent their countries. More or less every Australian or New Zealand Super 15 rugby player could earn much more money by coming to play in the UK or France, but the vast majority don't because it would mean giving away tests.
    Would also mean moving their families halfway round the world , in the case of France to a different culture and language as well.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    SLC cricketers get paid ****. If someone quadrupled your salary for 1/10th your work, you'd do it too. Unless you're actually making an excellent wage from your board - which only applies to Indian, English, Autralian and South African cricketers.
    AWTA. Wasn't there an article that stated that they haven't been paid since the World Cup?This isn't the first time either that that's happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    “I have seen some of the comments. As a principle we try to focus on our jobs and we refrain from making moral judgment about others”
    Stay classy, Andy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    FFS, just taking a break from revising boring **** like Maslow
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Quote Originally Posted by g.i.joe View Post
    awta. Wasn't there an article that stated that they haven't been paid since the world cup?this isn't the first time either that that's happened.

Stay classy, andy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information