• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malinga should play Test than chasing dollers says Flower

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My reading is that Flower is bemoaning a system rather than slamming/bashing/tearing into Malinga.

He's saying it's a shame a very individual talent has been lost to the sport's gold standard because of a system that means he's better rewarded elsewhere.

I don't blame Malinga myself, but will say there are lots of examples of other sportsmen turning down higher salaries to continue to represent their countries. More or less every Australian or New Zealand Super 15 rugby player could earn much more money by coming to play in the UK or France, but the vast majority don't because it would mean giving away tests.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My reading is that Flower is bemoaning a system rather than slamming/bashing/tearing into Malinga.

He's saying it's a shame a very individual talent has been lost to the sport's gold standard because of a system that means he's better rewarded elsewhere.

I don't blame Malinga myself, but will say there are lots of examples of other sportsmen turning down higher salaries to continue to represent their countries. More or less every Australian or New Zealand Super 15 rugby player could earn much more money by coming to play in the UK or France, but the vast majority don't because it would mean giving away tests.
Would also mean moving their families halfway round the world , in the case of France to a different culture and language as well.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
SLC cricketers get paid ****. If someone quadrupled your salary for 1/10th your work, you'd do it too. Unless you're actually making an excellent wage from your board - which only applies to Indian, English, Autralian and South African cricketers.
AWTA. Wasn't there an article that stated that they haven't been paid since the World Cup?This isn't the first time either that that's happened.

“I have seen some of the comments. As a principle we try to focus on our jobs and we refrain from making moral judgment about others”
Stay classy, Andy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would also mean moving their families halfway round the world , in the case of France to a different culture and language as well.
True, but plenty of people do move across cultures and continents for economic reasons, in sports and in other professions.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can see it from both sides, it is a shame that guys like Malinga and Gayle aren't playing test cricket but you can see why they may prioritise earning as much cash as possible by playing T20.

Reminds me of the last rebel tour to SA by England players in 89. Paul Jarvis of Yorkshire said the reason he was going on it was purely the money as it paid off his mortgage in one go. Can't really argue against that when he like Malinga was injury prone.

We would all love a good balance where all international cricketers earn good money and will make themselves available for all forms of the game but sadly that isn't the case for some countries. Maybe I am lucky to be English and our players earn good money and prioritise my preferred form of the game.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can see it from both sides, it is a shame that guys like Malinga and Gayle aren't playing test cricket but you can see why they may prioritise earning as much cash as possible by playing T20.

Reminds me of the last rebel tour to SA by England players in 89. Paul Jarvis of Yorkshire said the reason he was going on it was purely the money as it paid off his mortgage in one go. Can't really argue against that when he like Malinga was injury prone.

We would all love a good balance where all international cricketers earn good money and will make themselves available for all forms of the game but sadly that isn't the case for some countries. Maybe I am lucky to be English and our players earn good money and prioritise my preferred form of the game.
Gayle not playing Test cricket is because his board are shunts.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Think Malinga quit test because of Physical reasons and Injuries IIRC, rather than because he wanted to make more money or such.

Don't know how Flower can be sure about him leaving tests due to the system of money, which he says isn't for the good for the game and why he brings him up like that(especially, after his earlier media position). If he isn't getting paid well in Srilanka for tests, he won't for ODI's too and people have quit tests and not ODI's even before T20 leagues and their money came in.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gayle not playing Test cricket is because his board are shunts.
Yeah but they fell out soon after he was questioning test cricket etc... We don't know the full story there and probably never will but I get the feeling Gayle isn't missing playing tests now as much as the fans are missing him playing them and being able to watch a good talent doing his stuff.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I completely agree with what SS has posted in this thread. Malinga and other cricketers have every right to provide for their family and if that means giving up Test cricket then so be it. And it's irrelevant that Malinga's countrymen earn a lot less than him, because after all capitalism allows us to make as much money as we can despite other peoples socio-economic conditions.

However I do respect someone like Michael Clarke for rejecting the IPL.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah stuff the nation that gave you the ability to become a professional in the first place
So no one should ever move out of their country of birth for any reason whatsoever? After all, it was that country that gave you the ability to become x, y or z?

Sorry I don't buy it. And especially in developing countries, people often succeed despite their countries, not because of them. It's very easy to say this or that when it's not your family on the line. $50,000 or last long when someone in your family gets cancer and there's no NHS to foot the bill - I'm just using an admittedly extreme example but there are very few social support systems in the developing world if you happen to go broke or can't find a job. It's one thing for Michael Clarke to say no (and much props to him, by the way, I totally respect that, even if it's partly because he asked for a million dollars from Modi and got laughed at), but it's very different for some of these other players to continue to push their breaking bodies while the window is closing and say no to accepting financial security for their families.

This attitude is annoying.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Malinga has a knee condition which doesnt allow him to bowl long spells without pain and the risk of breaking down. Brett Lee bowed out of Tests for the very same reason and tried to prolong his LOI career.

In the three years that preceded his retirement, Malinga played a grand total of 2 test matches.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Compared to the average wage of people in SL, I'm sure they get paid very well (when they do get paid obv). Couple that with sponsorship deals etc, they're hardly struggling.
Compared to the average career of working people in SL, I am sure Cricketers' avg. career is a lot shorter.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ummm it's relevant because cost of living is lower in lower socio-economic regions. So you don't compare salaries from SL to salaries from Switzerland for example.

You can live more comfortable in SL with less money than you can in London for example.
Last I checked London was a city and SL was a country. I could live more comfortably in London with less money than I would in Mumbai. I am not even sure the point being made in this sort of post other than to propose that since most of the SL/subcontinent people have a lower standard of living and therefore Malinga should be happy and content and basically thank the SL board because despite getting the substantially less money than cricketers form rest of the world he can afford a better lifestyle during his playing days.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Malinga actually did attempt a Test comeback after career threatening injuries, the Test immediately led to more injuries that put him out for 6 months after that though so it would be unfair to just say he was only thinking about the Benjamins.

That said Flower wasn't really tearing into him as others have noted.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So no one should ever move out of their country of birth for any reason whatsoever? After all, it was that country that gave you the ability to become x, y or z?

Sorry I don't buy it. And especially in developing countries, people often succeed despite their countries, not because of them. It's very easy to say this or that when it's not your family on the line. $50,000 or last long when someone in your family gets cancer and there's no NHS to foot the bill - I'm just using an admittedly extreme example but there are very few social support systems in the developing world if you happen to go broke or can't find a job. It's one thing for Michael Clarke to say no (and much props to him, by the way, I totally respect that, even if it's partly because he asked for a million dollars from Modi and got laughed at), but it's very different for some of these other players to continue to push their breaking bodies while the window is closing and say no to accepting financial security for their families.

This attitude is annoying.
Could not have said better.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Malinga wasn’t a very good test bowler anyhow. He only ever really turned it on when he toured NZ, the stars aligned and he was sending down 150kph+ yorkers. NZ and Bangladesh aside, he never averaged under 30 against another test playing nation.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Malinga wasn’t a very good test bowler anyhow. He only ever really turned it on when he toured NZ, the stars aligned and he was sending down 150kph+ yorkers. NZ and Bangladesh aside, he never averaged under 30 against another test playing nation.
Still head and shoulders better than anyone else they have. Would've probably gotten to averaging near that below 30 mark if he had a proper Test career, started to swing the ball a bit more after a few years playing Internationals.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Still head and shoulders better than anyone else they have. Would've probably gotten to averaging near that below 30 mark if he had a proper Test career, started to swing the ball a bit more after a few years playing Internationals.
He never got that much better though as a test bowler. Actually averaged better in the first few years as a test bowler before he developed all those limited overs tricks. Of course he is better than what Sri Lanka have now but considering what he averages against England, Aus and RSA, Malinga's worth is being overstated.