Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 105

Thread: Malinga should play Test than chasing dollers says Flower

  1. #16
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    But most people's careers don't end by 35 either, and that's if they're lucky. Not struggling is different from being stable enough to be able to take care of your family after your career is over. An even if you theoretically could be comfortable, the vast majority of us would still take a quadruple pay increase for 1/10th the work.
    If my passion was helping people (it's not ftr, I hate ****s) and I was a doctor, but working in the middle of Africa helping people in the famine, earning far more than anyone else around me, but not heaps in comparison to what I could be making in industry, then someone offered me to go to another country and become a trash collector (nothing wrong with that, just first thing that came to mind that was completely different) for four times the wage (and the job is 1/10 as hard), do you think I would do it?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  2. #17
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,915
    There are about seven assumptions there that don't apply to cricket and cricket players.

    And the vast majority of people even in professions that directly help people don't do what you say - let alone sports stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #18
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,915
    And tbf there's a huge problem of doctors leaving developing countries and going to the ones with higher wages. A much much larger proportion than the other way around.

  4. #19
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,960
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    If my passion was helping people (it's not ftr, I hate ****s) and I was a doctor, but working in the middle of Africa helping people in the famine, earning far more than anyone else around me, but not heaps in comparison to what I could be making in industry, then someone offered me to go to another country and become a trash collector (nothing wrong with that, just first thing that came to mind that was completely different) for four times the wage (and the job is 1/10 as hard), do you think I would do it?
    lol.

    How is playing test cricket like doing volunteer work ffs. If anything making money from the IPL will probably result in an increase in their donations.


  5. #20
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    lol.

    How is playing test cricket like doing volunteer work ffs. If anything making money from the IPL will probably result in an increase in their donations.
    Well the anology was that you're doing something you believe in for the presitige and self satisfaction of it, not for the money. Surely you got that...

    I get the money thing, and for an everyday job maybe that's true. But as was said earlier, you only get to play until you're 35, why not leave a legacy as long as you're still living very very well.

  6. #21
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,915
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Well the anology was that you're doing something you believe in for the presitige and self satisfaction of it, not for the money. Surely you got that...

    I get the money thing, and for an everyday job maybe that's true. But as was said earlier, you only get to play until you're 35, why not leave a legacy as long as you're still living very very well.
    Because from 35-70, you still have a family you have to figure out how to feed. There are many cricketers (including Test cricketers) who are homeless and/or struggling to make ends meet after their retirement.

  7. #22
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Professional international cricketers who are homeless after finishing their careers aren't homeless because they played test cricket, they're homeless because they made other poor lifestyle choices.

  8. #23
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,915
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Professional international cricketers who are homeless after finishing their careers aren't homeless because they played test cricket, they're homeless because they made other poor lifestyle choices.
    That may be true for the very extreme cases, but plenty more, while not homeless, are struggling to make ends meet. In any case, we just have a difference of opinion. If you wouldn't do it and risk a future like that, well that's fine and I'm sure others would also do the same.

    For me personally, if I was getting paid as little as SL cricketers, and I had a chance at a big IPL contract, I'd quit international cricket that very same day.

  9. #24
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Out of curiosity, how much do SL cricketers get paid? I know the board struggled to pay them for the WC so don't bring that up.

    Also, what is the average wage of an average Sri Lankan resident?

  10. #25
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,960
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Well the anology was that you're doing something you believe in for the presitige and self satisfaction of it, not for the money. Surely you got that...

    I get the money thing, and for an everyday job maybe that's true. But as was said earlier, you only get to play until you're 35, why not leave a legacy as long as you're still living very very well.
    Realistically though, you can make a ****ton of money doing otherwise, without necessarily risking your test career.

    For the hypothetical cricketer that has no injury issues, is capable of playing either Tests or T20s at the expense of the other and making enough money without the IPL, then I guess your point is valid. But there aren't a lot (if any) of such cricketers.

    Most of them just reach a slight compromise which I'm sure majority of people would do.

  11. #26
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,005
    awt part regarding SL cricketers being paid much much more compared to their compatriots. Very few people in SL would be seeing that kind of money as do the SL cricketers. Same applies to Pakistan as well.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  12. #27
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,996
    The average wage of the average Sri Lankan is irrelevant. Of course it's bloody low, but are you saying because a player's countrymen struggle they should struggle as well rather than grasp a financial opportunity with both hands?

    I can just imagine the conversation at the dinner table...

    Wife: so how about that IPL contract?

    Malinga: Turned it down babe

    Wife: Why?

    Malinga: Well you see, because I get paid more than my fellow countrymen, I thought I should stop complaining about what little we get, despite it being pathetic compared to wages given to Australian cricketers, and I'll carry on playin tests until I'm 35.

    Wife: But you're injury prone, which may cost us more money after you retire, and our fellow countrymen get paid **** all, which means we will have to sell the kids if we end up on their wage.

    Malinga: But on the plus side, I might get 200 test wickets if I don't get injured! So we can be poor and legends!

    Wife: I want a divorce...
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  13. #28
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,803
    Haha, perfect summary. Something to keep in mind next time someone decries someone for a lack of 'loyalty'. As if you should be loyal to a shirt with an emblem on it and a bunch of people you've never met over your family and yourself.

  14. #29
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    hOf course it's bloody low, but are you saying because a player's countrymen struggle they should struggle as well rather than grasp a financial opportunity with both hands?Of course it's bloody low, but are you saying because a player's countrymen struggle they should struggle as well rather than grasp a financial opportunity with both hands?

    I can just imagine the conversation at the dinner table...

    Wife: so how about that IPL contract?

    Malinga: Turned it down babe

    Wife: Why?

    Malinga: Well you see, because I get paid more than my fellow countrymen, I thought I should stop complaining about what little we get, despite it being pathetic compared to wages given to Australian cricketers, and I'll carry on playin tests until I'm 35.

    Wife: But you're injury prone, which may cost us more money after you retire, and our fellow countrymen get paid **** all, which means we will have to sell the kids if we end up on their wage.

    Malinga: But on the plus side, I might get 200 test wickets if I don't get injured! So we can be poor and legends!

    Wife: I want a divorce...
    Ummm it's relevant because cost of living is lower in lower socio-economic regions. So you don't compare salaries from SL to salaries from Switzerland for example.

    You can live more comfortable in SL with less money than you can in London for example.

  15. #30
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,507
    Some ***** on the internet thinking I'm a good ****

    vs

    Having a good amount of savings to fall back on for the hard times after retirement from cricket to support myself and my family

    Tough decision.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cruel jokes on Kamran Akmal
    By Gooch20 in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 16-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •