• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast bowlers' favorite fast bowlers

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
And just a further note, Anderson was bowling in helpful home conditions, which he and many bowlers are quite handy in.

Therefore once you dissect the hype Anderson is bowling to a weakened team in helpful conditions, ofcourse you have to be good enough to exploit that and to his credit he is.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It's no coincidence that Dravid was India's best man over the two series that followed, because he'd had plenty of down time due to not being involved in the ODI setup.
wow, never thought of that.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
And just a further note, Anderson was bowling in helpful home conditions, which he and many bowlers are quite handy in.

Therefore once you dissect the hype Anderson is bowling to a weakened team in helpful conditions, ofcourse you have to be good enough to exploit that and to his credit he is.
Steyn bowled in more helpful conditions in SA, but yes he was amazing in india on unfavourable tracks too.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Steyn bowled in more helpful conditions in SA, but yes he was amazing in india on unfavourable tracks too.
Yes, exactly, in other words he generally is and has been pretty amazing.

Edit to add, I am not actually sure if they are/were more helpful, it was overcast in England so perfect for Anderson, plenty of assistance.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Not sure how you can't rate Anderson as a bowler. He's awesome purely for that beautiful side-on action.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes, exactly, in other words he generally is and has been pretty amazing.

Edit to add, I am not actually sure if they are/were more helpful, it was overcast in England so perfect for Anderson, plenty of assistance.
England scored 474/8d, 544, 710/7d and 591/6d on these "helpful" pitches, by the way.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
I rate him as a once woeful bowler, who is now above average, has had an excellent run the last two years statistically, but with no shortage of really helpful conditions/opposition.

He is behind morkel, steyn, zaheer, would have been behind ASIf/amir, and is around Guls level.

This too in an era of weak bowlers.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I rate him as a once woeful bowler, who is now above average, has had an excellent run the last two years statistically, but with no shortage of really helpful conditions/opposition.

He is behind morkel, steyn, zaheer, would have been behind ASIf/amir, and is around Guls level.

This too in an era of weak bowlers.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Um was Sehwag not totally unprepared and coming back from injury?

Did gambhir not have an injury problem throughout?

Did tendulkar not have injury problems?
Tendulkar didn't have any issues. And besides, an injury which hampers your movements as a batsman is the only one which has a legitimate case. Only Gambhir qualifies on that count.

Professional sports is all about people coming back after injury and hitting their stride straightaway. If we take these things into account to "weigh" performances, nothing would ever get done.

So who are you left with? Dravid and laxman, both old and well past their best, dravid surprised everyone.
The same "well past his best" Laxman won a test for India in Durban. And surprise, surprise, Dale Steyn was the leader of that pack. Should I use a logic similar to yours and claim that a fast bowler who cannot even dismiss a batsman "well past his best" must be a medicore one? 8-)

Btw, running through a team that was 21/9 the other day isn't really something to sing and dance about,
Just so I know, how many more such teams should be discredited?

South Africa perhaps for collpasing under 100 in the same test?

England perhaps for collapsing to 51 all out in Sabina Park?

India for getting blown out for 76 on their own turf?

By the extension of your logic, all bowling performances against India in 2008, against England in 2009 and against South Africa over the next year must not be taken seriously.

And btw, Steyn just decimated the same team which was reeling at 21/9. Should his performances against such "minnows" be taken with a pinch of salt too?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
My reaction is the same as GF's, but I'll bite.

Can you please construct a case for each bowler in bold being superior to or as good as Anderson (in Gul's case)?

FBU

International Debutant
Steyn and Anderson would be a good opening bowling pair v India

Steyn - Sehwag (7), Harbhajan (7), Dhoni (4), Laxman (4)
Anderson - Tendulkar (7), Dravid (5), Sehwag (4), Laxman (4),Dhoni (3)

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Tendulkar didn't have any issues. And besides, an injury which hampers your movements as a batsman is the only one which has a legitimate case. Only Gambhir qualifies on that count.

Professional sports is all about people coming back after injury and hitting their stride straightaway. If we take these things into account to "weigh" performances, nothing would ever get done.

Tbf I am doing really well to be patient.

Injuries put you at a disadvantage period.

There is no professional sport where a player afterva long lay off is expected to hit his stride.

And atleast do one thing, acknowledge explicitly you were wrong, and I infact was correct with my earlier assertion about India being weaker, this type of thing is important for serious discussion :).

Just so I know, how many more such teams should be discredited?
Just the ones I mention perhaps?

Also you have seem to have an inherent problem of only using a selective argument, try and combine opposition and conditions in your argument and not pick and choose? Thanks.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
My reaction is the same as GF's, but I'll bite.

Can you please construct a case for each bowler in bold being superior to or as good as Anderson (in Gul's case)?
It took Anderson literally YEARS to become an effective swing bowler, amir became one in months whilst he was a teenager, so yea, his curve is way ahead of andersons.

Morkel has been more consistent over his career, never quite spectacular, but decent enough for long enough to be a notch or two ahead.

Jacknife

International Captain
:laugh:
Yes the oh so consistent Morkel who didn't average under 30 in a single year till 2010. That was the problem with him till recently, his lack of consistency.
Anderson took a few years to become the bowler he has been the past few years because he had in action remodeled on several different occasions by people who ridiculously thought it would save him from injuries, which in turn set him back years but tbh I don't know why I'm bothering because even if Jimmy ripped it up for the next 5 years you'd still be coming out with the same rubbish.