Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pace Bowlers Who Could Perform Better than Ricky Ponting With The Bat

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Australia did well in their golden era a few years ago because they had awesome players with good discipline and a good first class system. Not because they had some magical never say die attitude that no other country had.
    Yes,

nothing annoys me more than fans claiming their team didn't show enough 'heart' or 'guts'. That's usually a problem during a single match when a team loses the plot but it can't explain a long period of success/failure.

If Warne and McGrath were able to get their mental state right very often then that's a skill/natural talent which helped them to be champion players. Siddle is proof so far that all the determination in the world still needs to be backed by skill for it to succeed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Yes,

nothing annoys me more than fans claiming their team didn't show enough 'heart' or 'guts'. That's usually a problem during a single match when a team loses the plot but it can't explain a long period of success/failure.

If Warne and McGrath were able to get their mental state right very often then that's a skill/natural talent which helped them to be champion players. Siddle is proof so far that all the determination in the world still needs to be backed by skill for it to succeed.
    There's no doubt that having great players around you will make you lift your own game mentally and make you walk a foot taller. As those players retired there's no doubt they took alot of confidence around the group with them.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Confidence is the key word there.

Australia came back from the dead (or near dead) a lot from 99-06 in both tests and ODIs because a lot of the time they just believed they weren't going to lose. Or they believed they were good enough to come back.

For some reason I think of this random ODI between Australia and NZ whenever I think of Australia's strength at winning even when they shouldn't.

Also the 2003 WC semi-final vs. Sri Lanka was a case of them just believing they could defend that total.
    Last edited by Jono; 30-11-2011 at 12:16 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Of his past 17 innings, 11 have been 16 or under.

His past seven series averages have been 24, 24, 56, 16, 31, 17 and 33.

He is 37 years of age.

If he was a Pom, and they were clinging on to such a clapped-out, ageing, underperformer...we would be laughing

John Inverarity, put an end to this sad tale
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Of his past 17 innings, 11 have been 16 or under.

His past seven series averages have been 24, 24, 56, 16, 31, 17 and 33.

He is 37 years of age.

If he was a Pom, and they were clinging on to such a clapped-out, ageing, underperformer...we would be laughing

John Inverarity, put an end to this sad tale
    Wow, that is absolutely dire. But no, we can't replace him because there's nobody else banging the door down. I'm sorry but you don't need players to be doing that when his results have been that poor. In any case, you could always just pick a stop gap solution like David Hussey, and in a year or two the chances are someone else will come along. What's the point of letting him drag the team down for as long as possible? I see no benefits for the team, or him personally.

Has Tim Southee been mentioned yet?
    Boult to Mathews, OUT, Caught at second slip! It was a length ball going across Angelo, who tried to hit it hard towards the leg side and got an outside edge that flew fast towards Guptill, who took a reflex catch in front of his face

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Yes,

no but they performed as a collective entity that believed in each other's abilities and commitment. that doesn't come through mouthing noble platitudes in the press; the entire eleven had to be one whole bodied, single minded organism, and they were that.

[/Dr Phil]

i mean, there were times before your current renaissance when the English team could be accused of rolling over and taking it in the ass. We did it often enough. Bangladesh does it all the time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information