Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pace Bowlers Who Could Perform Better than Ricky Ponting With The Bat

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    bah you don't see Australian fans go missing just because we are losing, we just get really ****ty about it. And expect different.
    That really has absolutely nothing to do with players and averages but......ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    bah you don't see Australian fans go missing just because we are losing
    Yes, I distinctly remember some of the huge crowds of Australians during the latter stages of matches during the Ashes.

Didn't know day 5 was designated fancy dress over there and they chose to come as seats.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Yes, I distinctly remember some of the huge crowds of Australians during the latter stages of matches during the Ashes.

Didn't know day 5 was designated fancy dress over there and they chose to come as seats.
    Yeah, was funny the way Bumble and Beefy kept going on about spot the Aussie on day 5 of tests.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post

Crowd numbers across the board are a bit of a worry here these days. I think you'll find weekday crowds will be low here again this summer and beyond. Disappointing fact of life. But our cricketers and cricket lovers don't abandon ship just because the going gets tough.

And yeah the Barmy Army is there through thick and thin blah blah but I think that's more to do with it being a good excuse for a piss up and lack of other options.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Ah right, the mass Indian retirement of players and exodus of fans during 80 years of being **** at Test cricket clearly proves your point. Just like something about Indian fans apparently proved your point that Aussie players don't care about averages.

You're really confusing me, but to summarise we don't care about averages. And crowd numbers are down in all forms of cricket, and will continue to do so due to wider issues in this country than the success or failure of the cricket team. They are also a lot less liked than previous teams (07 and prior).

But this is all off topic and I'm under no illusions of being able to show you any sense.

Fast bowler to average more than Ricky this summer - Copeland (picked after injuries to another 14 debutants)

uvelocity, I am not really understanding your point.

I don't think anyone said Australian fans in particular are front runners or anything. All countries have fans who will turn up more when they win than lose. Winning and success brings in more fans, that is a fact in every sport.

What are you suggesting though? That they are more loyal to their team than other fans?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Jono, in regard to this;

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That Aussie culture 101 is as bs as the 'australianism' that's trotted out (interestingly only when they win and not when they're bundled out for 47). And I admire the Aussie sports culture and i wish India had some of that but lets not go overboard here.
    I guess support is what silentstriker is referring to when deriding an entire culture? Becuase surely winning and losing is not "Australianism," rather skills based?

And if silentstriker maintains that "Australianism" exists only when not bundled out for 47, I'd beg to differ.

Nah you've got him all wrong.

Sometimes this term "Australianism" (or a similar variation) is used to state that when the chips are down, there is something unique about the Australian cricketer (in their culture, blood, whatever) that allows them to fight back and never say die.

SS thinks that is BS and is in fact insulting to great players. He believes (and he can speak for himself so I don't want to directly quote him) something along the lines of, Australia did well in their golden era a few years ago because they had awesome players with good discipline and a good first class system. Not because they had some magical never say die attitude that no other country had.

His point re: Australianism has nothing to do with supporters.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    uvelocity, I am not really understanding your point.

I don't think anyone said Australian fans in particular are front runners or anything. All countries have fans who will turn up more when they win than lose. Winning and success brings in more fans, that is a fact in every sport.

What are you suggesting though? That they are more loyal to their team than other fans?
    Nah, Richmond still get decent crowds.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

fight back and never say die.
    Ahh, ok. But I think this is a quality which does exist, but yeah not limited to Australians. And not all have it.

But I think it is a quality which was revered and celebrated here, and wouldn't be out of the question to suggest that Australians, including their cricketers, have been environmentally conditioned to have a never say die attitude.

I'd be inclined to say though that Australia is going soft and that the never say die attitude may in fact, be dying.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    To answer the original question, Nathan Rimmington.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion View Post
    shahid afridi
    +1
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav

U19 12th Man
    The "Australians don't tolerate defeat" has been shown to be a furphy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information