Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pace Bowlers Who Could Perform Better than Ricky Ponting With The Bat

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    yea when there's guys like sameeraweera who avg 54?

and guys like gambhir, cook, bell, smith, kp, younis khan, mahela who avg 50 ....

hope his stubborness doesn't lead to him losing another couple of points..i.e he should retire if things don't improve for him over the next month.

he'd be a forgotton hero if he finished up with a avg of like 50/51
    It's really good though, cos it means in 20 years time there'll be idiot savant kids on the web saying "Ponting - why do people rate him? Why don't they think Samaraweera or Cook are better?" and the pack of arseholes on here now who say the same thing about Viv will understand how we all feel now.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    It's really good though, cos it means in 20 years time there'll be idiot savant kids on the web saying "Ponting - why do people rate him? Why don't they think Samaraweera or Cook are better?" and the pack of arseholes on here now who say the same thing about Viv will understand how we all feel now.
    hahha very true, very true!!

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Yeah, Cook may well end up scoring more runs and centuries than Ponting but unless he carries on his last 12 months of ridiculous batting for about another 4 years then he will clearly always be ranked a long way behind Ponting. If he does do it he may bore many non England fans to death in the process.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Yep, I eagerly await the Samaraweera > Ponting thread in 2019.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Yeah, Cook may well end up scoring more runs and centuries than Ponting but unless he carries on his last 12 months of ridiculous batting for about another 4 years then he will clearly always be ranked a long way behind Ponting. If he does do it he may bore many non England fans to death in the process.
    I think you're missing the point.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yeah, and future generations won't believe us when we go on about how good he actually was when so many from the same era will average the same or more.
    Regardless of what he ends up with, Ponting has been clearly the best batsman of this past decade, and that's something he will always have. Same as Gilchrist - despite ending up with an average below 50 overall, it doesn't really take away from the fact that most of us (or at least the largest minority of us) would have him in our all time XI.

People's averages dropping right towards the end is not really new, and most of us do expect that people who average 60 in their pomp won't end with such an average. I don't think many people even on CW go by only averages.

To tell you the truth, I see a lot more of that on TV - I've seen multiple commentators during Test matches mention that X has a higher average than Y during period A->B, thereby making X the better player. It's the sort of simplistic analysis we would laugh at (and we do - everytime) if someone posted it on CW.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

U19 Vice-Captain
    When to bow out is the great question isn't it?

Ponting has gone from great player in a great team to being the sole survivor in a declining team. Throw in the loss of the captaincy and the Ashes defeats and it all starts to look positively Shakesperean.

I know he's let himself down on occasion and his demeanour is easy to rip the piss out of. End of the day though, I just don't get the scorn. He's been magnificent so often even if I was rarely in a position to appreciate his efforts at the time.

But I'm struggling to remember a great player with such a drawn-out denouement. If he comes through this it will be a feat of staggering proportions. If he doesn't it will end up like watching a horse running the Grand National years after it should have been shot.

What's driving him?

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    yea when there's guys like sameeraweera who avg 54?

and guys like gambhir, cook, bell, smith, kp, younis khan, mahela who avg 50 ....

hope his stubborness doesn't lead to him losing another couple of points..i.e he should retire if things don't improve for him over the next month.

he'd be a forgotton hero if he finished up with a avg of like 50/51
    This is so much reminds me of Dravid until recently and the same was said in the threads about him. Sachin turned around his slump quicker and just before the same was about to start.

Is a tough decision to make for the selectors and even for him.
    Last edited by Cevno; 11-11-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Simon Champion!
    Sachin not a bowler though.
    Has 200 international wickets, tbf.

In this comparison, if Ponting is Viv, who is Kallis?

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    In this comparison, if Ponting is Viv, who is Kallis?
    sunil gavaskar.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I think you're missing the point.
    I'm not. Cook will need 4 years like his last one to even be anywhere near Ponting, he won't do it as he isn't that good. If he did do it he'd have done it in an era with lesser bowlers anyway and in a far less stylish way than Ponting ever did. Cook will always be a level below Ponting even after he breaks all the English batting records.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Thing is though doesn't Samaraweera have massive holes in his record?

I reckon someone like Sangakkara will be a guy you could promote, and tbf whilst Ponting is easily the better batsman, Sanga is still an all time great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Sanga > Ponting
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information