• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pitch Bitch.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Apropos of some cricket pitches (or was it only the batting?) in the recent past, the mind trots on to the bad pitches that one has seen....

Topping the list would be a couple in the windies where tests were abandoned in the last decade and half. But what about others that have been roundly criticised? Mumbai in the final frontier series? Kanpur? This one? The Lankan first test in the last series? These are just recent ones.

Let's have a chunter about pitches, for good or bad: what would be the top 5 worst pitches that you have seen? (And I do not mean the sorts where 700 plays 600 borefests.)

smash84

The Tiger King
I think this SA vs Aus pitch is pretty awesome. I think it has more to do with bad batting than having demons in the pitch

hang on

State Vice-Captain
i agree. it is a challenging pitch but nothing more than that.

what about the first test in lanka a month ago?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Far more to do with batsmen not having technique to cope with the moving ball as they are so used to placid pitches which give the bowlers nothing. Australia have shown time and again in recent years if the ball swings or seams they collapse (Pakistan and England exploited it, now SA) but SA was perhaps a surprise.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
other than the ones that are abandoned due to safety issues, i hold the opinion that no pitch is a bad pitch. in fact the deadlier, the better!

hang on

State Vice-Captain
given the oodles of protection that batsmen have these days, can any pitches actually be considered really dangerous?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
People just throw a whinge because they aren't good enough to bat on a surface. The only bad pitch is a dangerous pitch or a pitch that never looks like it's going to give a result. A pitch that will certainly give a result within 2 days would be bad but I haven't seen that mythical creature yet.

Worst pitch I saw? Hmm maybe that second test in Pakistan vs India where most 3rd xi batting lineups would have made 600.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
A pitch that will certainly give a result within 2 days would be bad but I haven't seen that mythical creature yet.
this one will certainly give in a result in 180 overs.

morgieb

Worst pitch I saw was the Mumbai pitch. Australia doesn't do 600 v 600 pitches.

morgieb

And I think I speak for most of CW by saying that this pitch is actually awesome. Well, it's ****ing refreshing from a pitch like the one in the third test in Sri Lanka.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Worst pitch I saw was the Mumbai pitch..
And this match will probably end in less overs than that match(even about 30 overs less).

I am not sure how this pitch is awesome, and that one is the worst?

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
We also got them out of 240 on that pitch though. :p
that is true. but you also scored a humongous amount of runs! was a pretty batting friendly pitch.

but, u are right. 600 vs 600 with a match ending in a draw is ****. 600 vs 300 and 200 is fine.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And this match will probably end in less overs than that match(even about 30 overs less).

I am not sure how this pitch is awesome, and that one is the worst?
Because the Mumbai pitch saw a part timer in Michael Clarke turning the ball square.

smash84

The Tiger King
And I think I speak for most of CW by saying that this pitch is actually awesome. Well, it's ****ing refreshing from a pitch like the one in the third test in Sri Lanka.
awta

the worst pitches have to be the UAE ones.