• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What made Viv Richards special?

adub

International Captain
We're talking about the last 3 years of Viv's career; not 1-2 series.

Also, Sehwag struck at 70 against SA and 55 against England. Having seen the series I'd say his drop in SR was because he could barely get started (scores of 0,0,8,33).
We're talking about the 3 years of Viv's career when he was older than Ponting is now. It might just be he was writing cheques his body just couldn't cash any more.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
We're talking about the 3 years of Viv's career when he was older than Ponting is now. It might just be he was writing cheques his body just couldn't cash any more.
Exactly.

I mean it's laughable to suggest that a drop in the SR of an attacking batsman 'automatically means' that he has changed his batting style. Maybe he hasn't at all, and is struggling with his shots etc.

On a more general note, strike rate is the last indicator I would take to gauge the style of play. Sachin Tendulkar strikes the same in ODIs as he did 15 years ago. That doesn't mean that his style of play hasn't changed. He plays less aerial shots now, and focuses more on placement.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
haha...One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies.....

abmk

State 12th Man
Viv was defensive when he needed to be, its a myth he was attacking ALL the time. I'll dig up some innings, and videos.
Good, let's all provoke Rob a little more . We'll get more of the golden stuff quicker :p

P.S. On a serious note, I agree with you to an extent. He was defensive on occasions when the situation demanded it ( not all the times, but on some of the occasions ) .

Just that IMO , if he had used his defensive abilities and good technique a bit better in the latter stages of his career, he'd probably have done better in the final few years of his career.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was the benefit of him knuckling down and changing his game worth more than the fact that how he played probably helped his teammates walk two feet taller?

adub

International Captain
Good, let's all provoke Rob a little more . We'll get more of the golden stuff quicker :p

P.S. On a serious note, I agree with you to an extent. He was defensive on occasions when the situation demanded it ( not all the times, but on some of the occasions ) .

Just that IMO , if he had used his defensive abilities and good technique a bit better in the latter stages of his career, he'd probably have done better in the final few years of his career.
Viv was defensive much like a cornered lion is defensive. He might not have been goring you to death just at that moment, but you knew what he was thinking and you were ****ting yourself just the same.

He wasn't called the Master Blaster for his ability to stonewall.

The last few years of his career shouldn't be used to define him any more than Ponting's last few years should be used to define him. They're both just not the same player any more even though they desperately tried to be.